Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my weekend full of riding shot to hell !

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my weekend full of riding shot to hell !

Thursday evening I took the 13 Heritage for a short spin to fuel it up and get her ready for the weekend's riding. I normally run Shell high test and that's what I tried to pump her full of this time but for some reason the pump was running super slow and at 2 gallons I said to ell' with it and gave up. I intended to fuel up somewhere else the next day. Range indicator said I had 58 miles of fuel left in the tank when I left my house on the way to the gas station which is 4 miles away.

The bike was running FINE when I shut her off at the pump. When I cranked back up it was OK for 25 to 30 yards. When I started pulling out into the highway she started sputtering and missing. I shut her off and pushed back to the pump and went inside.

The pump had 2450 gals in the premium tank, no complaints all day and the owner pulled his pov to the pump and put several gals in it.I guess he did this to show he had confidence in his fuel, Hell I donno. I looked at the gas and stuck my fingers in the flow and didn't observe anything remarkable about the gas.

I let the bike cool down for 15 minutes and restarted with the same sputtering, missing results. Bike would not rev past a fast idle without just bogging down. After cooling off completely it will not fire at all. The starter spins but there is nothing.

This bike has just turned 5000 miles and was at the dealership at 1000 where it was changed over to Harley synthetic, according to the reciept (I bought it at 1550). I had it at my indy at 2000 miles and had a Bassani 2 n/2 1 pipe, Ness big sucker air intake and a Dynajet PV-2 tuner installed.

I had an appointment with the indy on this coming Monday to bring it in for a 5000 mile service and change over to Amsoil in 2 holes and 75/90 severe gear oil in tranny.

Since the bike is way under warranty I guess my best bet is to take it to the dealership for repair. I initially thought that I should take it by the indy and see what he thought, but that would just be another expense and I'm doubtful the tuner or it's input have anything to do with this. I'm no mechanic and for all practical purposes I'm computer illiterate. Yeah, I can change fluids, switch out parts like a new headlight bulb but I leave engine problems to the experts, mechanical or electrical.

I don't think the fuel is the problem, but it may be. I kinda think I would have gotten further down the road b/4 the fuel caused this because of the amount that was already in the tank. I may be wrong about this.

What do you guys and gals think is going on here ??? I'll probably give my indy a call Monday AM and tell him what's going on out of courtesy and to cancel the service appointment for the time being.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Freelander
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something caught in the fuel filter/line. Was it still pumping slow when the guy tried it? Something may have been caught in their line which was why it was so slow.

Since it's still under warranty I wouldn't waste your time or money. Just head right to the dealer and tell them to take care of it. They should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you recently wash the bike? Check connections at ECM For any moisture.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow running pumps = dirty/clogged filters and strainers.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:23 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

fuel pump regulator, Possibly..... I have a 13' breakout and there has been a couple guys on here that have had them replaced due to noise mostly, but that has me wondering. Good luck /post when you fix the problem

Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will up-date on this as soon as it 's back on the road ! What a bummer so far. Today was a perfect riding day here in the foothills of upstate SC. Tomorrow looks like a re-peat. One good thing is both the wife and myself are retired. If it's comes out of the shop on hump-day we are free to hit the road.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts
Old 06-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Rollinburnout
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably not water in the gas. If the pump was running slow it was probably a stopped up filter in the pump itself which probably let something through when you were pumping. Slow pumping is either stopped up filter or a trip valve inside the pump. Ever since they started putting ethenol in the gas it breaks down a lot of the build up in the underground tanks which ends up in the filters. With over 2000 gallons in the tank it shouldn't be water. Almost all underground tanks have water in them but it settles at the bottom and gas pumps are set to shut off well before they get that low. Hope this helps and good luck with getn back on the road!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 AM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I do not know about Dynojet Tuners, but if they are anything like the V & H fuel pak, this sounds like a problem with the tuner.

I have a 2008 Heritage, with the V & H fuelpak tuner, and the tuner failed, which caused the bike to shut down. I unhooked the tuner and removed it, hooked up the ECM without the tuner and bike ran fine.

Looking forward to what you find out.

Good luck.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:01 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I hope your dealer will warranty your bike, if you have a tuner on it. Get back & tell us what the problem was. Good luck.

Quick Reply: my weekend full of riding shot to hell !