Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History on the Heritage Softail... NEED PLEASE!!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
SirPacman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default History on the Heritage Softail... NEED PLEASE!!

Hey everyone, I'm a student in high school and i'm doing a report on the history of the Heritage Softail. If anyone that has some information on it please post it. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: History on the Heritage Softail... NEED PLEASE!!

Korbin,

The first Heritage Softail was produced in 1986 a couple of years after the standard softail was introduced. The original heritage came without bags or windshield and was red and cream in color. The softail is manufacured to look like the old "shockless" hardtails prior to the installation of rear shocks. This was called "The Retro Look". Wille G "Davidson" was the designer of the softail and heritage softail.

New softail heritages come with a windshield and saddlebags as standard equipment. They also have a counter balanced motor that eliminates the vibration.

There are many softail heritage owners on this board who will be able to add info. I purchased the first red and cream 1986 softail heritage in Illinois. I actually purchased it in Appleton Wisc.

Terry

Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
B Line
Cruiser

Now remember,

It's not plagiarism to copy everything Terry just said and put it in your report as long as,

1) You put it all in quotes with a footnote.
2) You quote your source.

Lol !!

B

Old 09-07-2005, 04:39 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I just read in one of my Harley books it was first introduced to the public in Daytona, and it had yet to be actually made by Harley Davidson, it was a custom creation by Willie, that got so much attantion for the old style look and feel that Harley bought the design and produced it in various models.

I think mine is the best, enjoy the heck out of it, and being the first Harley, first bike ever, I think I made a great choice.

The balanced engine is also very sweet, and to top that when its puring along at 65MPH on the interstate,well you just gotta be there to know whats its like, I just cant describe it.

Its pretty sweet..[8D]

Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

This pertains to all Softails, not just the Heritage: The frame was developed by a couple guys from Missouri, IIRC. They advertised in Easyriders magazine for a short time, then the ads suddenly disappeared. The first ones had problems with the shocks cavitating due to the horizontal position. While I can offer no proof, I always figured the ads quit running because HD approached the inventors and bought the rights to the frame.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
SirPacman
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the great information. If anyone else has anymore information on the Heritage Softail.. just post them up. Thanks again.