Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing turn signals without tripping the warning light??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 PM
packrat56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing turn signals without tripping the warning light??

2013 FLS.. I want to swap out the stock signals with some mini bullets.. Comments on the lights say that the difference in bulbs trip a bulb warning light...

What mini signals will NOT trip the warning indicator?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:39 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by packrat56
2013 FLS.. I want to swap out the stock signals with some mini bullets.. Comments on the lights say that the difference in bulbs trip a bulb warning light...

What mini signals will NOT trip the warning indicator?
You may need to add a load equalizer to the circuit.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
packrat56
Advanced

OK..

What turn signals have people changed to WITHOUT tripping a warning light??

Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Gunzenrosa
Novice

A little info on which lights specifically might help get an answer.
I've installed signal led strips on my the sides of the triple trees and had to get a "doo dad" to convert the oem signal harness from 3 wire to a 2 wire configuration as that's the way the LEDs came( with 2 wires)Extremely cheap and they work fine without any issues.
If you have the lights try installing them.,then you'll know if they work or not and if not you'll have more questions but at least you will know what you are wanting to know.
Check out dime city cycles for inexpensive LEDs,mini bullets and the likes. Please don't do what a lot of guys I see do and pay hundreds for a so called kit,it's not worth it as you can do this on the cheap and easy... Kinda like I like my women lol.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM
packrat56
Advanced

Thanks!

I posted this question in order to avoid actually purchasing signals that will trip the sensor, thus rendering it a usless sensor, and having to return them.

I was hoping folks had gone thru this already and figured out what lights will work??

All Im after is some super small, black, bullet signals.. They have to be budget stuff, so no kit-your sure right about that!

Anyone put any on that are not stock???

Any warning light issues??

Originally Posted by Gunzenrosa
A little info on which lights specifically might help get an answer.
I've installed signal led strips on my the sides of the triple trees and had to get a "doo dad" to convert the oem signal harness from 3 wire to a 2 wire configuration as that's the way the LEDs came( with 2 wires)Extremely cheap and they work fine without any issues.
If you have the lights try installing them.,then you'll know if they work or not and if not you'll have more questions but at least you will know what you are wanting to know.
Check out dime city cycles for inexpensive LEDs,mini bullets and the likes. Please don't do what a lot of guys I see do and pay hundreds for a so called kit,it's not worth it as you can do this on the cheap and easy... Kinda like I like my women lol.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Custom Dynamics might be able to help you. They are a GREAT company to deal with.

http://www.customdynamics.com/

Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Gunzenrosa
Novice

Lights are pretty much lights with the except of LEDs which some say need resistors to work right. I have yet to require resistors.
The only "sensor" I could see being an issue is if you had a light out and end up with a indicator on the dash but more than likely just one faster flashing blinker due to not powering a burnt out bulb on the front or back whichever the case may be.
I think if you find a set of lights you like buy them, as long as you keep it simple and use the existing wiring there shouldn't be any issues. That's been my experience anyway. If you want added security ask the vendor you are buying them from, they may tell you that you need something extra but as far as bulbs that throw codes that just doesn't make any sense to me. They are just drawing power just like the ones you have now.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Harley's own bullit signals on my Heritage. Didn't have to do anything else.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

You can use any NON LED light you want. LED's do not draw enough of a load, that's why the warning light comes on and you have to add an equalizer (but not on newer bikes).

Last edited by RANGER73; 07-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a 2013 Slim, same as mine.

I put Alloy Art LEDs on the front, Custom Dynamics on the back. I then went one step further and ditched the license plate bracket with the LEDs and later added a new bracket/light with standard bulbs. It took a few restarts, but the ECM and/or BCM sorted out the loads and I didn't have to add load equalizers, resistors, or any other stuff in the mix. They flash at the right speed, no trouble/warning lights.

I can't say with any authority that you'd be all clear with the ones you're looking at, but I'd be a little surprised if you had problems.

Quick Reply: Changing turn signals without tripping the warning light??