Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Tank......braided crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Exclamation Removing the Tank......braided crossover?

I ordered the PV2 and have a 12V socket and USB attachment on the bars. The wire for that is currently running under the Console and under the leather tank strap to the battery. Since I am replacing the gauge and adding the wiring for the PV2 I decided i should remove the tank and run all the wiring from the bars under it to the battery and Data Port, cutting the cross over fuel line. Probably going to need a Dremel to cut the HD clamps

I am looking at installing the braided crossover. Looking at the set up and the clearance from the tank to the upper rocker cover, I cannot see how I am going to get a wrench in there to tighten the nuts at the end of the braided cable.

Looks like a new fuel hose and standard Stainless Hose Clamps may be easier than trying to get a wrench in there. Any one do this?

Last edited by TenMidgets; 07-06-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Use Corbin clamps. Screw clamps dont work as good on small line.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:33 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Use Corbin clamps. Screw clamps dont work as good on small line.
No kidding? Do Screw clamps cut the cable? I thought they would be tighter....Thanks.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:50 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
No kidding? Do Screw clamps cut the cable? I thought they would be tighter....Thanks.
Because of the screw mechanism they do not clamp completely around the hose and the other issue is they give a fixed tension and as the hose thins or hardens with age they will leak. A squeeze or Corbin clamp gives a full circumference clamping force along with constant clamping pressure and as the hose wiggles, ages and thins it will increase the clamping force. I do not recommend screw clamps on hoses with a smaller OD than 1/2. Just my humble opinion and almost 20 years experience.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Because of the screw mechanism they do not clamp completely around the hose and the other issue is they give a fixed tension and as the hose thins or hardens with age they will leak. A squeeze or Corbin clamp gives a full circumference clamping force along with constant clamping pressure and as the hose wiggles, ages and thins it will increase the clamping force. I do not recommend screw clamps on hoses with a smaller OD than 1/2. Just my humble opinion and almost 20 years experience.
Noted ..Thanks. I will do that and salvage the corrugated hose surround.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Dang man, you don't need a dremel to cut off that fuel clamp. Just use some side cutters.

Go to the auto parts store and get some small fuel injection hose clamps to put it back on. No need for the braided crossover.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HD says they have a lot of returns on the braided crossover fuel line......my guess is that it's the clamps as you mentioned.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

I think Harley uses Nuts to clamp over an O ring seal (go figure) I did not think there was enough room to get a wrench in there without messing up the tank and the rocker covers. The suggestions to use a new cut of a regular 1/4" fuel line and noted clamps will be heeded.

I cancelled the braided line from my Kutter order.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:46 AM
HDnoob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a braided hose on my crossover. It was a pain in the ***** and it always leaked. Also, when I went to remove my tank, I had to siphon all the gas out, and the braided line still made a giant mess when I took it off. I replaced it with fuel line hose and some clamps when I put my tank back on. At least with the hose if you need to remove the tank again, you can just clamp both sides and cut it in the middle. It'll make a hell of a lot less mess, that's for sure.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I bought a braided cross over from a member here. Removed it a couple times, no problems or leaks. I replace the orings when i remove it though. I bought it cheap otherwise not worth spending the $$. Also, if you plan on raising the tank, it will not work.

Quick Reply: Removing the Tank......braided crossover?