Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issue - need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Suspension issue - need guidance

I've never really understood suspension, so I need to ask for some advice.

My 2014 Breakout got a $70 lowering kit for the rear suspension as part of the new bike deal, and is lowered about 1 inch. I'm sorry but I cannot recall the name of the kit. I might recognize it if I heard it.

I knew when I bought the kit, that it would take out some of the available suspension travel, but have done similar things on prior bikes and the results have been good. Great look and no notable loss of comfort.

This time is different.

First, the seat on the Breakout is rather thin to begin with, to get that "slammed" look that HD was shooting for. Then, I needed to go to a "Reach" seat to stay comfortable for long distances (up to 50 miles was fine with the stock seat, but after that, some aching in my lower back). This made the seat padding even thinner. This make the suspension a lot more important than it was on prior bikes.

The problem I am having is very specific. It occurs wherever there is a "ridge" in the road surface (e.g. a new layer of pavement starts, or there is a chunk of surface pavement "missing"). In such cases, I experience a jarring that goes right up my spine.

Adding a gel pad helped a bit, but did not solve the problem.

I'm thinking that the suspension needs adjustment. To my knowledge, the only change the HD dealership made to the suspension before delivery was the lowering kit.

With my riding safety gear on, I weigh in at about 230 lb.

When I hit one of these ridges - and I'm talking some pretty shallow but ABRUPT ridges - I feel a strong sudden shock, but it does not feel like the suspension really moved very much. There is no sensation of suspension movement and then "bottoming out". It is just an immediate "jarring" as though the bike has no suspension.

Another potentially important clue: The one time (so far) that my wife was on the bike as a passenger, the suspension felt BETTER. I don't recall feeling a single ridge that time.

Is the suspension travel simply too little with the lowering kit, and am I actually bottoming out? Or, is the suspension simply too STIFF, and therefore causing that jarring?

What is the correct cure?

p.s. please no suggestions to buy a Shotgun air suspension. I just won't accept any air-based solution, because WHEN the air suspension develops a leak, you are stuck with a fully rigid bike for whatever distance to home or a dealership, and I won't accept that. if such air leaks were truly rare, I'd consider air suspension, but I see way too many instances of leaks. I want a suspension I can forget about.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM
mkenkel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your pre- load may be set to stiff if adding weight (your wife ) helped. your dealer may have maxed it out when adding the lowering kit to prevent bottoming out. you can adjust this yourself with the help of a spanner wrench and your manual.good luck.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

when using stock shocks i think lowering is usually a sacrifice on comfort & handling for looks... Softails have limited travel already, and lowering shortens the travel even more.

you can try adjusting the preload... Less preload its bouncier and can bottom out.... More preload its more harsh (can be harder on the spine).

i'm slammed as far as my kit would let me know (prob about 2"), once i sit on it there is very little travel left (and on a hard enough hit the little bit that is there gets stopped when the tire hits fender). it rides like a rigid, but slightly better (you feel every little tiny bump).

i think the only real options are either air ride or a more adjustable expensive aftermarket set of shocks like progressive or Olins or something similar that have more adjustments for length, preload, & dampening... or just deal with it and ride it as is.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

I am actually visiting Mike Lozano at Lozano Brothers this weekend to have my oil cooler installed, so IF I can get a firm diagnosis here (and mkenkel might be correct), I could ask Mike to adjust the suspension while he already has the bike on the lift to do the oil cooler.

Jim G

Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 PM
13bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH

i think the only real options are either air ride or a more adjustable expensive aftermarket set of shocks like progressive or Olins or something similar that have more adjustments for length, preload, & dampening... or just deal with it and ride it as is.
Ohlins don't do softail suspension anymore (real shame) and the progressive 422 is a little better than stock and is adjustable for height and preload.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my ride is lowered to the max. like you said, it gets to your spine. i just lift myself off the seat when i see something that'll hurt.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by 13bob
Ohlins don't do softail suspension anymore (real shame) and the progressive 422 is a little better than stock and is adjustable for height and preload.
I'll have to disagree with your statement that 422's are a "little better" than stock.

I've only had my 422 RAPs on for week or so but I can assure you they are a lot better than stock.

That being said, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I'll have to disagree with your statement that 422's are a "little better" than stock.

I've only had my 422 RAPs on for week or so but I can assure you they are a lot better than stock.

That being said, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
At stock height, I agree. Their is room for improvement, but much better then stock. And given the price point, a very good option.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The answer to your question is simple, buy this jacket and all will be well...........

Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Branner
The answer to your question is simple, buy this jacket and all will be well...........
Good one!

Jim G

Quick Reply: Suspension issue - need guidance