Softail Parts This is the place to post your Softail Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Breakout \rider Backrest base

Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 290 Likes on 174 Posts

The distance between the 2 bolts on my Fat Boy is 4 1/2".

Old 06-30-2017, 01:45 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
The distance between the 2 bolts on my Fat Boy is 4 1/2".
I made the holes elliptical enough to possibly accommodate other seats. I know there are others that it could fit. Just no way of telling for sure without owning the bike to make sure the curves fit. 13g steel can be bent with some good pressure. I will see if my holes will accommodate a 4.5 in width. IF they can I will let you know.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Saloondawg
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Maybe, but the Grasshopper bracket is far from sitting flush as it has 2 angled bends off center and it still works. I think it would work as long as the distance between the holes are the same.
Do you have a Grasshopper on your Fat Boy? How do you like it? I see they now make one for Breakouts.
F.Y.I...it appears that Breakout seat bolt pattern is also 4 1/2" between centers.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Yes, I have the Grasshopper now and am getting the back rest redone now. It will be an oval, made out of stock seat material, thinner and taller so it supports the lowest part of my back. I will report back in the respective thread with pics when I get it back. I do like matte's backrest though...

The following users liked this post:
Saloondawg (07-01-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM
sreddy1038
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matte,
Could you please speed up this process and post some images to get an idea. Would love to have a strong foam which is of high density, Non-water absorbent, non-biodegradable, and comes back to original position after the ride. MY back is killing me and I'm just waiting you to be done. Also, If you could provide a phone number or email address i can reach you, that would be great. you can reach me on my email address too sreddy1038@gmail.com

Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 PM
DERJ
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of having a custom pad made, it would be a great option if we could use the HD short rail backrest pad - I'd buy it...

Old 07-07-2017, 08:21 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Hey sreddy. I'm working on it. The foam I bought wasn't dense enough and I'm working that out. Down side to ordering of the net without seeing it in person. Unfortunately this isn't a mass production situation and I'm still working out the details. I will definitely email you as soon as I have sorted out pad.

As for the Harley pad, I have one of those here, but it's a tad out of my scope. When I finish this current project, I might give that idea a go. But this one first.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Take your time matte and keep us posted...people need to realize that there is more to this than one might think.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:37 AM
lowflight
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matte
Technically I made it for a breakout.... and it's to solve a problem unique to breakouts.
Great idea, Matte, looks good...but, if you think sliding off the seat is unique to the Breakout, you should talk to any Rocker rider!

Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM
RSKy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backrest

Originally Posted by matte
I'll post a finished product to classifieds and price once the foam comes in and I figure out the sewing machine. anticipating a price of 150 finished.
Matte, count me in for one of those backrest. Please send a quick note when you post them in the classified.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breakout \rider Backrest base