Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Pictures (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-pictures-110/)
-   -   Night Train Pictures (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-pictures/224705-night-train-pictures.html)

tchaffin 04-02-2009 02:11 PM

Branner,

Yeah, they are RSD. Same with risers. Got them both off Ebay for a decent price.

Dimensions are...

1 inch vintage short stack bars
30i width, 7.25i height and 6.5i center.

Btw, they are already slotted for internal.

Tom

Marcus666 04-02-2009 02:17 PM

Wow...alot of sweet bikes here. Hey, guys...as you probably have figured out, I'm new here. I've got an '08 Night Train. Not much of a computer person...gotta figure out how to post stuff.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "hey" and introduce myself.

Marcus

DyNaBoB 04-02-2009 02:37 PM

welcom to the darkside marcus............the easiest way to post pics is get an acc with photobucket put your pics on there and just cut n paste

Chazmanian 04-02-2009 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by story808 (Post 4804289)
I said this before, I've been checking in to this for a long time. You can go with a 18"X3.5" rim with a 140 tire to get it in the fender... Check out "Branner's" bike or on the badboy picture thread "97's" badboy thats what they are running ask them questions they are 2 of the coolest guy I know... and they will tell you to check out BlackBike for the wheel.

Branner bike... Hope you don't mind J.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Augustine1.jpg

My 05' came on a 150 though....A 97 that rolled out on a 130 has different pulley sizing dosent it?

DyNaBoB 04-02-2009 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 541373

Chazmanian 04-02-2009 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Branner (Post 4804474)
I require a small licensing fee to release my photo's, put the check in the mail... lol

Chaz,

The difference between your 16" and an 18" wheel *when tires are mounted* will be (at most) 1/2 inch. The profile on the tire decreases as the radius increases. In the end you'll see more wheel and less tire.

Any questions pm me and I can send more pics, better than story's stolen pics...

Take care.

Thanks!!

PM sent.

I'm getting the derned rim store telling me one thing and the info I'm gleaning here is another.

Trying to avoid any return hassles or money lost on mounting a tire that dosent fit up!!

Branner 04-02-2009 03:18 PM

Replied to PM. Dude, just noticed you have an 2005, mine is a 2000 and came with a 130 tire stock. I went up to a 140 FINE. In fact, my dealer tech even agreed with me that I can get a 160 in there, with no problem. Moving up to a 160 should be no trouble at all.

**Who's building the rim???**

train913 04-02-2009 03:26 PM

chaz,I've been researching exactly what you are doing for my 03' which has the same setup as yours,you will have no problem running the 160,just maybe have to turn your strut bolts around at the most,I've even heard of people running a 170 with a 18"not sure how true that is though,but a 160 no problem P.S.(I got your plate mount shipped out you should get it by this weekend)

story808 04-02-2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Branner (Post 4804474)
I require a small licensing fee to release my photo's, put the check in the mail... lol

Chaz,

The difference between your 16" and an 18" wheel *when tires are mounted* will be (at most) 1/2 inch. The profile on the tire decreases as the radius increases. In the end you'll see more wheel and less tire.

Any questions pm me and I can send more pics, better than story's stolen pics...

Take care.

Checks in the mail... lol That the only one you had in your profile... and I was to lazy to dig one up... LMAO

story808 04-02-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4804853)
My 05' came on a 150 though....A 97 that rolled out on a 130 has different pulley sizing dosent it?

Opps... My bad then I thought to stuff it under you would have to go down to a 140 I know I can't get a 160 on my 05' It way tight with the 150... But then again I'm like 4 inch down on the back... ;)

back again 04-02-2009 05:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this is a 160 under the stock and fat boy fender.Don't know why yours is any different Mark. A 170 18 is actually skinnier than a 160 16.I can't copy the Metzler fitment chart from their website for some reason but if you look there it has all the specs on any tire and wheel made.I've made both of these changes on a number of softails now and know they work.On some of the 160's we had to spread the frame horns a little but it fills the fender so nice it's worth it.I ride 2-up with it lowered and have no rub issues.I still have that stock polished and powder coated wheel for sale that I cut if anyones interested. G.

Attachment 541371

Attachment 541372

vulcanater 04-02-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by oregonkickstart (Post 4802645)
What size are those bars in the rise? How tall are your risers? If you recall I wouldn't mind hearing the length you had to use for throttle cables, clutch cable, and brake line... Your scoot looks great! I dig the way that round sissy bar looks. Is that the Harley round bar or did you fab that one?

Thanks! My bars are 16" tall. That's from the bottom to the top of the points, not where my hands are. It would probably be like 14" to my hand grips. I have 1 3/4" risers in the pics. I have since replaced the risers with the stock Night Train risers. It's alot more comfortable for me now. I can ride all day and my shoulders and neck won't be hurting now. It just don't look as good with the tall risers being skinny. I need to get some fat risers.
Sorry, but I don't remember the length on the cables. I did have it written down. If I can find the paper, I'll let you know. I just mounted the bars and then measured for the cables. that way i knew they would be right.
The sissy bar is from Cycle Vision. It was like $129.00 I think. It would be alot cheaper to fab one up yourself. It's made out of 9/16" cold roll.

Chop On,
Robert

story808 04-02-2009 07:27 PM

I said Opps... lol Hey G... did you have trouble getting the inside bracket for the first two holes on the fender & struts... lol I was getting pissed... I think it would be worst with the bigger tire?

Havanacigar 04-02-2009 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys...talking tires..I have a 2000 night train and had the stealership mount up the wide tire kit...went from a 130 to a 150, included in the kit were a remachined rear caliper, and a splash guard...I also have the detachable sissybar and they had to reverse the bolts to allow for clearence think it was like 400 and some change, but I cant remember for sure. and yeah...I had to drop the whole tire to access the bolts!

Chazmanian 04-02-2009 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going full steam ahead with the 18" and the 160/60 tire. I think it will look just about right.

Put my seat on today....
Attachment 541370

Now it really needs that spoked wheel!

So my next project is install my chrome lower fork sliders, get the derned 18" wheel sent out, powder coating my brake, shift levers and the jiffy stand, and trying to find some kinda cool looking bib for my ugly ass fender with 3 holes in it!

Thanks for the help on the wheel issue gents!

oregonkickstart 04-03-2009 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4806554)
I'm going full steam ahead with the 18" and the 160/60 tire. I think it will look just about right.

Put my seat on today....
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture160.jpg

So my next project is install my chrome lower fork sliders, get the derned 18" wheel sent out, powder coating my brake, shift levers and the jiffy stand, and trying to find some kinda cool looking bib for my ugly ass fender with 3 holes in it!

"Who you callin' gents, mother f^@ker?!?!?!" -- BTW... A famous quote from a too-popular hollyweed movie if I remember correct... >all meant in good faith... just had t f+++ with ya'<

oregonkickstart 04-03-2009 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by vulcanater (Post 4805459)
Thanks! My bars are 16" tall. That's from the bottom to the top of the points, not where my hands are. It would probably be like 14" to my hand grips. I have 1 3/4" risers in the pics. I have since replaced the risers with the stock Night Train risers. It's alot more comfortable for me now. I can ride all day and my shoulders and neck won't be hurting now. It just don't look as good with the tall risers being skinny. I need to get some fat risers.
Sorry, but I don't remember the length on the cables. I did have it written down. If I can find the paper, I'll let you know. I just mounted the bars and then measured for the cables. that way i knew they would be right.
The sissy bar is from Cycle Vision. It was like $129.00 I think. It would be alot cheaper to fab one up yourself. It's made out of 9/16" cold roll.

Chop On,
Robert

Please do PM me if you find/remember the cable/line lengths... TY! Very nice looking bar though... Might have to copy that and make one. I have a really interesting suggestion for the riser part of your problem... I will post it a soon as I dig it up. Thanks again and "good job". That scoot is looking primo.

back again 04-03-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4806554)

Put my seat on today....
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture160.jpg

Telling ya Chaz the 160-18 is gonna look skinny back there even if you have a 4 1-2" rim.Seat looks good by the way.I liked the way the C+C looked on my bike better than the Corbin but my azz didn't much care for it.

Mark I had it up on the lift with the rear deck dropped down so there was plenty of room. Did a couple on my sears lift before I had the table lift though and had no problems with bolts.

Chazmanian 04-03-2009 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by back again (Post 4808336)
Telling ya Chaz the 160-18 is gonna look skinny back there even if you have a 4 1-2" rim.Seat looks good by the way.I liked the way the C+C looked on my bike better than the Corbin but my azz didn't much care for it.

Mark I had it up on the lift with the rear deck dropped down so there was plenty of room. Did a couple on my sears lift before I had the table lift though and had no problems with bolts.

Ya...I'm cool with the tall skinny look tho'. Kinda old school.

My major issue is deliberating on the color and spoke count of these rims. I'm seriously flip flopping.

I want the black DNA Mammoth spokes...Then I dont.

I want the derned old fashioned chrome ones....then I dont.

Man buying wheels really kinda sucks. I bought a new truck quicker and easier. Sheese I bought the bike easier!!

I have a set of chrome lower fork sliders in the shed. I'm thinking that those combined with chrome wheels will be too much bling.

So in the end....

My bike will end up looking like...

Yours?:eek:

Look at how this guys bike ended up on the 18" rim with the tall skinny tire. Thats just pure badassness.
Attachment 541369
Sorry Branner. I had to share?

Branner 04-03-2009 12:36 PM

No problem Chazzy. The bike already looks different than in that pic.

bgibbster 04-03-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4809117)
Ya...I'm cool with the tall skinny look tho'. Kinda old school.

My major issue is deliberating on the color and spoke count of these rims. I'm seriously flip flopping.

I want the black DNA Mammoth spokes...Then I dont.

I want the derned old fashioned chrome ones....then I dont.

Man buying wheels really kinda sucks. I bought a new truck quicker and easier. Sheese I bought the bike easier!!

I have a set of chrome lower fork sliders in the shed. I'm thinking that those combined with chrome wheels will be too much bling.

So in the end....

My bike will end up looking like...

Yours?:eek:

Look at how this guys bike ended up on the 18" rim with the tall skinny tire. Thats just pure badassness.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Branner-2.jpg
Sorry Branner. I had to share?

That's a good looking bike. How did you lose the disc and caliber on the back? It really cleans up the back and shows off the tire/rim.

Branner 04-03-2009 01:02 PM

I only use the front brake.... Kidding... Exile sprotor and chain drive.

bgibbster 04-03-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Branner (Post 4809450)

Thanks!

saintslax11 04-03-2009 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 18''... i know its with the 200 tire but you get the idea. 18 is the way to go chaz. Go with chrome now and if you wanna change it down the road you can. That is my approach. When I get tired of the chrome hub im going black. Same with the fork sliders and triple trees. This was only lowered 1.5''
Attachment 541368

saintslax11 04-03-2009 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple pics so far. Almost there. Come to find out the wiring that i had done was not gonna work. I took it to the shop to get the wiring done correctly. I oredered the badlands run stop turn module instead of the stuff I had. I am working a long week next week the Mexico for a week so no time to fool with it. I might be able to get it before I leave but I dont care because the weather is terrible here and I am leaving for a week so hopefully when I come back the weather will be clear for bike nights. :) I got my two up seat from heartland. Little did i know that the seat has to be adjusted before you put it on. Kinda crazy but its a custom seat so i guess thats the way it works. Pretty simple to do. Just to let you guys know that the people at HEARTLAND are the best to deal with. everything they make is top notch quality. I can not tell you enough that if you order something from them they will take care of you.
http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/IMG00288.jpg
Attachment 541367

chrome-dome-dave 04-03-2009 03:01 PM

Looks good man, I see you got the smaller tag now.

saintslax11 04-03-2009 03:42 PM

Yup $20 bucks. Was pretty easy to get. I still had to shave the edges down about 3/4 of an inch to get it in there. That still wasnt enough but it got in there. It does not fold in when slammed to the ground. Heartland took care of me and is sending me a gloss black led light for the tag. I think it will look pretty slick at night. You got any pics of your bike comin along?

saintslax11 04-03-2009 03:43 PM

Is there any way to get rid of the gap between the fender and tire? Even when slammed there is still a gap. I want it tighter. Do I need shorter bump stops like the rockers use?

Chazmanian 04-03-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Branner (Post 4809450)

How is it so impossibly slamed with the wheel literally up in the guts of that fender?

That bike just plain sits better than any Harley or custom I have ever seen.:eek:

18 is the way to go chaz. Go with chrome now and if you wanna change it down the road you can. That is my approach
I'm skeered the front end will look all dueced up and glammish with the chrome sliders and wheel combined. I'm wanting something more thuggish....

Sheese I've only been off Parole for a few months now. I need to stay true to my thuggish roots.

Seriously!

refuzeandrezizt 04-03-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4810188)
I'm skeered the front end will look all dueced up and glammish with the chrome sliders and wheel combined. I'm wanting something more thuggish....

Sheese I've only been off Parole for a few months now. I need to stay true to my thuggish roots.

Seriously!

That's some funny chit!! Hell, I just got off parole too, in September. Hell Yeah :D.

ALPHA_MALE 04-03-2009 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Scoot
Attachment 541366

refuzeandrezizt 04-03-2009 04:14 PM

Looks good man. What are the upcoming mods? I know you have some planned......

Chazmanian 04-03-2009 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by refuzeandrezizt (Post 4810207)
That's some funny chit!! Hell, I just got off parole too, in September. Hell Yeah :D.

December.......

I'm going with a set of DNA wheels. Finally got em' ordered from some joint out in Cali. I know the guys who "Know" may rag me for buying the cheap ass DNA's but they fit the budget and should achieve the look I'm aiming for. I did a little research and couldnt find anyone who just straight hated em' so they hooked me up with a discounted price and they are off to the PC guy before they make it to me....
Attachment 541365
$690.00 for a set of 60 spoked 21 X 2.15 and a 18 X 4.25. PC'ing the hubs and rims black like these. Stainless spokes. Hope I dont regret not spending $1500.00 on the higher end wheels. Time will most certainly tell!

refuzeandrezizt 04-03-2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4810953)
December.......

I'm going with a set of DNA wheels. Finally got em' ordered from some joint out in Cali. I know the guys who "Know" may rag me for buying the cheap ass DNA's but they fit the budget and should achieve the look I'm aiming for. I did a little research and couldnt find anyone who just straight hated em' so they hooked me up with a discounted price and they are off to the PC guy before they make it to me....
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...007/b304_1.jpg
$690.00 for a set of 60 spoked 21 X 2.15 and a 18 X 4.25. PC'ing the hubs and rims black like these. Stainless spokes. Hope I dont regret not spending $1500.00 on the higher end wheels. Time will most certainly tell!

December huh, man was I thrilled to be done with that crap. Four years in and seven years on paper, sucked ass.

Anyway, the wheels look nice man. I would say that as long as you are happy with them, that's the main thing. Hope they work out for ya. I am curious as to how it will all come together when done. Can't wait for the pics!!

saintslax11 04-03-2009 07:36 PM

There gonna look good.nice choice.

RockyTopRider 04-03-2009 07:40 PM

nice alphamale those grips look killer.

Chazmanian 04-03-2009 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by refuzeandrezizt (Post 4810975)
December huh, man was I thrilled to be done with that crap. Four years in and seven years on paper, sucked ass.

Anyway, the wheels look nice man. I would say that as long as you are happy with them, that's the main thing. Hope they work out for ya. I am curious as to how it will all come together when done. Can't wait for the pics!!

Day-um a 4 piece and 7 on paper...Ouch. I did 10 months at "Man Camp" as I finally pulled the traffic "Bitch" years of outrageous tickets, eluding, and other choice behind the wheel pranks and hijinxs. 10 months in the joint for fvcking traffic tickets!!

Mandatory 2 years of minimal suspervison parole.

Done and actually have my license real insurance with a bike endorsement and everything. They just wanted a lil' bit of my time and money..... No lots of my money.

Ride and drive Cool in Colorado or else!!!

Sorry for the off topic rample fellow darksiders.....

I'm gonna look for some better spcers than the ugly ass teel galvanized looking sheet thats on my bike now.

I hope these wheels at such a low price dont be causing me no wierd issues!!

Attachment 541364
Kinda stoked with this crazy handmade bib as well....Probably get Money Pit to make me one when he finishes my Solo bag. My fender is chock full o' seat bolt holes.

I do have a newfound respect/admiration for you guys with the pimped out rides. I didnt think I would get so into this stuff. Now I'm straight hooked and have directed a large chunk of my finances at getting my bike where I want it.

And I told my old lady..."baby I just wanna ride thing", "I dont care what it looks like".

Yeah...Right.

Air Ride & Jockey shift are on the agenda too. I have a ways to go!

refuzeandrezizt 04-03-2009 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4812298)
Day-um a 4 piece and 7 on paper...Ouch. I did 10 months at "Man Camp" as I finally pulled the traffic "Bitch" years of outrageous tickets, eluding, and other choice behind the wheel pranks and hijinxs. 10 months in the joint for fvcking traffic tickets!!

Mandatory 2 years of minimal suspervison parole.

Done and actually have my license real insurance with a bike endorsement and everything. They just wanted a lil' bit of my time and money..... No lots of my money.

Ride and drive Cool in Colorado or else!!!

That's some good chit. It's funny you know, there were people in with 10 years on traffic stuff and child support, while the guy next to them had a 5 year trip on murder. I was like WTF. I had an old burglary charge (5 years worth) and caught a new assault charge (6 years worth). I was like 6 months away from finishing out the first 5 years on probation, when I got the 6 years added on. Bitches had me from 18 to 31, I just turned 32, plus lots of trips to juvie as well. Lesson learned here man, they took enough of my life.

refuzeandrezizt 04-04-2009 12:00 AM

Back on subject here, Chaz, that bid is badass man. I told the same story to my wife, I was like baby, it looks good just like it is, no need to sink a buttload of money in it. HA, that went over like stink on you know what. Oh well, I could be out doing alot worse stuff with my money.

story808 04-04-2009 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
****ing Jail birds... lol

Chaz... No worries brah... those are gonna look killer on your bike!

Anyone wanna clean that green water out of my pool... LMAO

Attachment 541362

Attachment 541363