Softail Custom Pictures

Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Rich C
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Pictures

Thanks for the comments.

I have found it does not flex, even at 80 mph. One of the test they recommend, the manufacture, is once you place it on ride it down the road and place your hand in front of you. You should feel no wind, well once you have it lined up right. I don't get any wind. Then rasie your hand up to your face and no wind. I like it alot.

It is easy to install and they provide everything including the allen wrenches. The windshield is mounted to the brackets. The brackets are clamped on your handle bar, chrome brackets.You are done and now for the test ride. You can adjust the windshield up or down an inch. If you are really tall then turn the brackets over to get the windshield higher, or buy the 16" shield. I have the 14" inch.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Rich C,
Can you get a couple of different angled shots of the mounting brackets and post them up for us?
I'm curious to see what they look like and if I couldfabricate some kind of quick disconnectsfor it.
Thanks
Frank

Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Rich C
Advanced

Here are the pics - frontview, sideview, and top view (I'll be dog gone, can't figure out how to thumbnail these photos)

Look how clean the chrome is - you can see me taking the picture.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Thank you, doesn't look like it wants to come off all that easy. Hmmmm, this is going to require a bit morethought.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:30 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yall are killin me! Just when I thought I knew what bike I was going to get when I got home I see some of yall's pics. Dang it, now I cant decide.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SGTGunner

Yall are killin me! Just when I thought I knew what bike I was going to get when I got home I see some of yall's pics. Dang it, now I cant decide.
Well, what did you think you wanted???
Marsh

Old 08-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Rich C
Advanced

You know I went through the same thing, about which bike. First, I hopped on a couple different bikes. I wrote a list of what I liked and didn't like about each and I was deciding between the Wide Glide / Deuce / Softail Standard. Almost bought the Deuce, I like the stretched tank, but I wanted bobtail fender, wide tire and black and chrome engine. But then I got word that the Custom was coming out and it answered everything I wanted except for the tank. So I bought the Custom and glad I did.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me tell ya’ll a story about how I decided on my bike. At the time, I wasn’t even thinking about getting another Harley, even though in the back of my mind I knew I wanted one.
This past April, my wife and I went to Arizona to tour the state in a car we rented. We drove from Phoenix to a little town in Northern Arizona called Williams. It is near the Grand Canyon. We checked into this little motor court in a funky little cottage and on the wall of our room was a picture of a red Harley. I had no more than put my bags on the bed and I said to my wife “that’s the Harley I want”. That bike spoke to me. I loved the western/nostalgic look of it. I looked at that picture for 2 days and just fell in love. I took a digital picture of it and here it is:

When I got back to TN. 10 days later I sent the picture I took by email to all the dealers in middle TN and 2 days later I got a call from a dealer not 5 miles from my home saying he had just taken one on trade. I rushed right over with checkbook in hand and made it mine.
Here is the bike I got all dressed up.

I got her didn’t I?
Marsh
Here she is all neeked.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: SGTGunner
Sorry we got you all bentout of shape.
Funny thing is that I wanted a Custom for years until they discontinued them back in 1999. Then I fell for the Nightrain, but I couldn't reach the controls on the drag bars comfortably. So in the last week of July last summerthe wife said I have a $12K check here for you to get your Harley I said "LET'S GO NOW". I couldn't take the chance that if she had the time to think about it, she mightchange her mind.
So we went to the dealer and started to look around.I figured that the closest thing they made to my lost love would be the Standard. I could reach the controls and it was like a blank slate I could customize the way I wanted. But when I mentioned to the salesman thatI really wished they still made the Custom he told me that they were going to be making them again for 07 and showed me a new catalog.
Needless to say I was in love again and asked when they were going to have any. He said that they already had a couple they were uncrating in back, and one was in black, my favorite color. But they would not be out on the floor till Monday. I told him I would be back on Monday and I was. It was out on the floor, and I said I'll take it, where do I sign.
Been happy as a 10 year old kid turned loose in a Toys-R-Usstore ever since.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 AM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are great stories yall! Thanks for sharing.
I never realy considered buying a Harley. They've always been way out of my price range, so I was going to settle on a V-Star 1100. Then I got deployed to Iraq. Spent a year there day dreaming about motorcycles with plans of buying one when I got home. I got home and somehow my money just seemed to dissapear (I think I drank most of it away). So a few months later I get sent to Afghanistan where I am now, another year daydreaming about bikes. Everynow and then when I had time I'd log on to Yamaha's site to browse, again thinking Harleys were too far out of my price range (never actually looking at the price of their bikes). Then about 4 days ago a friend sent me a picture of the new Rocker and I knew I had to have one, with just a few modifications that thing could be my perfect bike. So I searched for a Harley forum to try and learn a little more about them. I come to find out that most dealers are wanting 2-4K over msrp, and people are having to wait up to 6 months for theirs to show up. So I wanted to see what else Harley had available and decided I like both the Nighttrain and Softtail Custom. After seeing some of yall's pictures I'm leaning more twards the custom. I still realy want a rocker but 1-I dont want to pay 20K for a bike, 2-I dont want to wait 6 months after I get home (mid Oct) to get a bike, 3-I can make a custom with the same general style and look of the rocker for less than the price of a rocker, and 4-Customs sound like they will be easier to come by and already have a lot of parts and support available for them.
So yea, if I end up with the custom, I want to build it to look a lot like one that another member posted. I dont remember his screen name, but it was a black one with an after market fender (dont like the custom rear fenders much) low on the tire, solo seat, V&H pipes, and low handle bars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail Custom Pictures