Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Eastern NC - Mid April - Ride suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:08 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Eastern NC - Mid April - Ride suggestions please

Hey all,

Since the suggestions I've gotten here in the past have been spot on, I'm back for more.

Going to be staying in Nags Head the week of April 14-21. Planning to have a rental bike for 24 hours some day that week (haven't fixed a day yet). Will be doing the sightseeing stuff on the OBX with family by car, so looking for a nice ride for just my wife and I on the 'mainland'.

Probably need to keep the miles on the low side (probably not more than 200-250 round trip I'm guessing) so we can stop at interesting stuff that we see. Historical or nature type destinations, or a good unique place to eat make for good targets for us.

Shout 'em out! Thanks in advance!

Dan

Edit: Maybe not happening - apparently Eagle Rider dropped Outer Banks HD as a rental location. Thinking about maybe trailering down instead, but that raises some other complications for my trip. Anybody know any other motorcycle rental places near the OBX (Harley or otherwise)? Can't find anything on Google...

Last edited by dandrumheller; 02-23-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Define "near"
Last time I looked these dealerships rented bikes

Shelton's HD in Goldsboro, and Smithfield
Tobacco Road HD (formerly Ray Price) in Raleigh
Raging BULL Durham...

Worth an EMAIL.....

Old 02-25-2018, 07:36 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Define "near"
Last time I looked these dealerships rented bikes

Shelton's HD in Goldsboro, and Smithfield
Tobacco Road HD (formerly Ray Price) in Raleigh
Raging BULL Durham...

Worth an EMAIL.....
Will give those guys a call - I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that all of the locally operated dealer rental operations got taken over by eagle rider last year. And apparently since then quite a few have been shut down. Outer Banks HD was on eagle riders site as a rental location as of some time late last year when I checked. Went to reserve a bike a couple days ago, and nothing. When I called OBX HD, I was told they didn't do enough business for eagle rider to keep them on except as a drop off location, so they cut ties...

As far as 'near' goes, gotta be close enough to pick up bike, drop car back off in Nags Head, then do the ride, ending back in Nags head that night, then back to drop bike off at dealership at end of 24 hour window the next morning. I'd say probably need a rental location within 2 hour drive of Nags Head.

Last edited by dandrumheller; 02-25-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Raleigh's about 3 or so hours from nags head. You might want to look into the trailer thing. Or just ride it and have the wife and kids follow in the chase car.......

Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by Crashone
Raleigh's about 3 or so hours from nags head. You might want to look into the trailer thing. Or just ride it and have the wife and kids follow in the chase car.......
Ideal for me would be ride down with a chase car. However, wife is fully NOT on board with having to drive the whole way, particularly with her mom and our daughter in the back. I'd be a nice trip down for me, but I'd be paying the price the rest of the week :-)