Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Knoxville, TN to Deals Gap

Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Justin727
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Knoxville, TN to Deals Gap

Hey guys -
A buddy and I are riding down to Knoxville from Indy in late April. We plan to ride highways from Indy to Knoxville on Tuesday late afternoon & then get up Wednesday to ride the rest of the way to our cabin near Deals Gap.

I am looking for some route ideas from downtown Knoxville, TN to Deals Gap. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Just looking to avoid major highways and have some good scenic roads to enjoy as we make our way towards Deals Gap. Wouldn't mind riding through Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg on our way.

Thanks in Advance,
J

Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Just head over to Pigeon Forge, then quick ride to Gatlinburg. There enter Nation park.
Run 73 over to Foot hills Park Way. When you hit the lake turn left and before you know it you are riding deals gap. Just about every road you take is a scenic one . If you are not in a hurry instead of turning left turn, turn right ride along the dam. Get to a HD outlet on the right side of the road. take a break turn around and go back to to the start of Deals Gap. By the way there is no sigh saying you are on Deal gap. Be ready for the start of the curves. Each lunch at the south end food is great.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

A post in the Rides Section will get you a response from some that live in the area.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Be ready to feel the heat from you motor in Pigeon Forge Or Gatlinburg,,, what a traffic cluster fark....I avoid it like the plague...same with Sevierville near Dollywood.....have fun...
If it was me, I would take 129 From Knoxville but first, stop at the HD dealership in Knoxville and get a ride map....you might want to squeeze the Devil’s Triangle while around Knoxville..

Last edited by Notgrownup; 03-17-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:50 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Be ready to feel the heat from you motor in Pigeon Forge Or Gatlinburg,,, what a traffic cluster fark....I avoid it like the plague...same with Sevierville near Dollywood.....have fun...
If it was me, I would take 129 From Knoxville but first, stop at the HD dealership in Knoxville and get a ride map....you might want to squeeze the Devil’s Triangle while around Knoxville..
Ditto. Unless you're really into tourist traps and heavy traffic you should avoid Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Of course, Deals Gap is a motorcycle tourist trap too. Rode it on a Saturday one time. Never again. If I can't get there on a weekday I take an alternate route. Whenever I go down there I take 129 south from Knoxville and stop at Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville. It isn't far and the traffic isn't usually bad at all. From Maryville it's a nice ride on 129 to Deals Gap and then once you get to the south end of the Dragon there are all kinds of options for nice rides. Or, you can double back and ride the Cherohala over to Tellico. I like the Cherohala better than the Dragon personally.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:38 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Traffic in Pigeon Forge is a timing thing main drag gets busy when Tourist number are up and in their version of rush hour.
But it is not bad all day long . Gatlinburg is small even at it's worst you are out of it in no time a riding the National park.
If you want to ride the Dragon and it is a worth while ride if you never have try to do it early in the day on a week day.
Have a mice ride there set up for end of May. looking forward to it. If you ride to the south end of the Dragon a short ride to Highland NC is worth while . Waterfall the road use to run under. You can still ride behind it. One of those things to see if you are near by. Hard to go wrong in the region.
We left Knoxville once heading for Pigeon Forge time to kill. For the heck of it set GPS and chose scenic route. What a ride.

Last edited by smitty901; 03-17-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:45 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Pigeon Forge that busy in late April ?

Old 03-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
Pigeon Forge that busy in late April ?
As soon as it is warm, it’s busy. I go in the area at least once or twice a year at least.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 03-17-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Justin727
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses so far guys.

We will be waking up in Knoxville on Wednesday morning so I am not too worried about the traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg based on when we will likely be riding through.

I enjoy the Dragon but much prefer the Blue Ridge or Cherohala Skyway over the Dragon myself.

Maybe I'll just select Pigeon Forge as the destination and select scenic route from Knoxville and then plan the rest of the ride from there.

I will also check out the Devil's Triangle for sure

Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Justin727
Thanks for all of the responses so far guys.

We will be waking up in Knoxville on Wednesday morning so I am not too worried about the traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg based on when we will likely be riding through.

I enjoy the Dragon but much prefer the Blue Ridge or Cherohala Skyway over the Dragon myself.

Maybe I'll just select Pigeon Forge as the destination and select scenic route from Knoxville and then plan the rest of the ride from there.

I will also check out the Devil's Triangle for sure
That can result in an interesting ride. Enjoy your trip . If you are killing time in Gatlinburg . And you want a short but great ride this is in town and often missed by many. Well worth your time. Roaring Fork road.

"To access Roaring Fork, turn off the main parkway in Gatlinburg, TN at traffic light #8 and follow Historic Nature Trail Road to the Cherokee Orchard entrance to the national park. Just beyond the Rainbow Falls trailhead you have the option of taking the one-way Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail (closed in winter). Please note that buses, trailers, and motor homes are not permitted on the motor nature trail."

Take the One Way nature tail. Do not be shocked if you see a Bear or two.
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/roaringfork.htm

Last edited by smitty901; 03-20-2018 at 04:50 AM.