Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Best Mexican Food in New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best Mexican Food in New Mexico

So the wife and I love our Mexican food. So much so that we are wanting to ride down to New Mexico just to eat at some good Mexican restaurants. We have been to Albuquerque and were extremely disappointed, maybe we just did not go to the right places. We went to Sante Fe, not much better than Alb. We went to Taos, only ate Mexican once but it was pretty decent. After watching Guy Fierie "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on the food network we decided to give Sante Fe another try in the coming weeks. Can anybody recommend a really good Mexican restaurant? At this point we have been to New Mexico 3 times and so far have not found a restaurant that is even close to as good as the ones we frequent in Colorado. Thanks all.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not much Help, and is not an attempt to hijack your thread either.... Don't waste your time going to the alleged Infamous "The Owl" in San Antonio, Nm 10 miles south of Socorro, Nm. It was recommended to us as "The BEST" Green Chili burger ever. Service was non existant. I had two small slivers if a green chili on mine...absolutely the most over priced burger I have ever eaten... Good luck in your search.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Harry's Roadhouse in Santa Fe. It's not TexMex but New Mexico Mexican food. Wife and I had breakfast there in March and it was great. Go on off hours though because the place is small and crowded at meal times.

Another decent place in Santa Fe is Bobcat Bite. Great green chili cheeseburgers. Like Harry's, this place is small so go off hours.

Both places are out on the Old Las Vegas highway between town and the Vaughn cut off.

Triple D also rated Bert's Burger Bowl in Santa Fe for their burgers. Don't bother. Wasn't anything special.

Triple D gave the Tecolote Cafe a great rating for Mexican food but we haven't tried it.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harpoonman
This is not much Help, and is not an attempt to hijack your thread either.... Don't waste your time going to the alleged Infamous "The Owl" in San Antonio, Nm 10 miles south of Socorro, Nm. It was recommended to us as "The BEST" Green Chili burger ever. Service was non existant. I had two small slivers if a green chili on mine...absolutely the most over priced burger I have ever eaten... Good luck in your search.
We've eaten at the Owl Bar a couple of times and the burgers were OK. I've been told Manny's in San Antonio (NM) is actually better.

In Albuquerque, Garduno's is probably the best place for Mexican food.

We'll be over in Las Cruces next week and will try a few places there.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Scaryjerry58
Cruiser
Default Food for thought

You should ride to Tucson, AZ to El Charro's for GOOD Authentic Mexican food......little expensive.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 AM
bbaz
Cruiser

Michael's in Taos,NM was pretty good. We went there during the Green Chili ride. I heard LONNIE has been seen there once or twice .

Last edited by bbaz; 08-09-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 AM
jb1023
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Scaryjerry58
You should ride to Tucson, AZ to El Charro's for GOOD Authentic Mexican food......little expensive.
Would love to ride to AZ but I think that is a bit far for a weekend excursion. Not saying it won't happen but that would require a few extra days. I will definitely keep that place on the wish list though.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 AM
jb1023
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bb156ny
Michael's in Taos,NM was pretty darn good. We went there during the Green Chili ride. I heard LONNIE has been seen there once or twice .
I looked on Google Earth to see if I could recall the restaurant that we went to during Red River Rally. I think we went to Orlando's and found it to be pretty decent. We will have to give Michael's a try next year during RRR.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
bbaz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jb1023
I looked on Google Earth to see if I could recall the restaurant that we went to during Red River Rally. I think we went to Orlando's and found it to be pretty decent. We will have to give Michael's a try next year during RRR.
The full name and website of the restaurant in Taos,NM is www.michaelskitchen.com

Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I didn't care for Michael's. I tried for three days to pick up the girl at the cash register, with no luck. Her last excuse was she was going to a funeral. WFT?
But the food was great.

Quick Reply: Best Mexican Food in New Mexico