Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883L Mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by brassailor
I've been reading lots of posts on the mods I want to do and am getting lost on so much information, hoping someone can shed some light on a few questions.

Handlebar

Riding my 883 Low the stock handlebar seems to put my hands on an odd angle, I feel like twisting it up and wide a few inches, what sort of handlebar would achieve this?

Suspension
Coming back from Biarritz to London I started dreading potholes, I do one long solo run of more than 1k miles per year, the hog rides and shorter less than 200 miles 2 up something easy to adjust for 2 up would be a plus.

For the front, am curious about this

Front break
What has proven to work here? Am open to change the caliper and pads.

-------- List of ideas
- Will update the list as I go along

Front suspension

Ricor 39mm Intiminators (anyone know where to order in the UK?)

Front break
£31 Lyndall Racing Brakes Z-Pads
Hello old chap from just up the road.

Handlebars - they are adjustable! You can rotate them in their clamps in both directions, which may significantly improve your riding comfort. My Glide was particularly bad when I first got it, but after a few tweaks everything suddenly dropped into place, so to speak.

Shocks - I suggest you talk to Hagons and get a set of their Nitros for your rear end.

Forks 1 - a problem area! On my Sporty I have single-rate springs from Race Tech plus Emulators. I can't recommend the latter as they don't seem to do any good, so I bought Intiminators for my Glide, which I imported from the USA. There is a UK importer, but they don't seem to hold any stock and charge an arm and a leg! PM me if you have never imported stuff before.

Forks 2 - A fundamental problem of Harleys in general and Sportys in particular is that the forks sag too much when anyone heavier than a sparrow sits on them. The consequence is that we are all riding around on only a small portion of the total available travel. The reason for using single-rate springs, matched to your weight, is to maximise available travel and dispense with the short-comings of progressive-rate ones, which are a compromise.

Brakes
- I have recently given up on Lyndall as they are just not reliable as a company. Try EBC pads - British and widely available - such as from 'Brakes4u Ltd'. Add a braided brake hose for a little extra.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by grbrown; 10-09-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spelling!