Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new exhaust - Cobra PowerPro HP 2 into 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My stage 1 - Cobra PowerPro HP 2 into 1, PM Array and PC V

Last week I put on the Cobra PowerPro HP 2 into 1 in black. I am extremely happy with them so far. You might have read my other post where I was deciding on keeping the 48 or switching to the Dyna. I was leaning toward keeping the 48 because I love the look and just modding the couple of issues I had with the 48. The one thing I was lacking that I wouldn't be modding is the lack of the 6th gear. I ride on the interstate daily and go above 75 pretty often. And I would always felt myself wanting to hit the 6th gear. Well after installing the new exhaust, with the tuner, I no longer feel that need. So I am a very happy camper right now.

So my take on the Cobra for anyone that is interested. I will attach a couple of pics also. I don't really have anything to compare too since I haven't personally seen any other exhaust except the short shots but I am loving this exhaust. It looks great, although it could be a deeper black finish for my taste. It sounds fantastic. I was looking for something with a deep rumble that wasn't so loud that it bothered me. For me it is perfect. It growls like an older muscle car but not so loud that it bothers me. Note: I am hard of hearing and suffer some hearing loss in the high frequencies due to a car accident and time spent in the military. Not sure how that plays into that equation but my wife also loves the pipes and it doesn't bother her either. Before I was almost ashamed to hit the throttle when I was at a light or something. Now I find myself smiling and hitting the throttle a lot. I have not done a dyno so I don't know of the specific performance numbers but I can tell you for sure that it boosted the low and high end. Makes my interstate riding much better. Has a lot more pep when I burn through the first four gears also. The build seems to be great, nothing to compare too personally. It is sturdy, solid and doesn't budge. So overall I am highly satisfied with this exhaust.

Now a couple of questions for you fine people. First, with the stock setup my shift points, by ear, were usually 2nd at 25, 3rd at 35, 4th at 45 and 5th at 55.. Now I find myself increasing that by about 10 mph. Will that hurt anything by shifting so high? I assume not because the sound isn't laboring at all. But I want to make sure I don't hose anything.

And lastly what do you use to clean boot marks off of black ceramic pipes? I have done some searching and so far I have deep creep, wd40, pigspit, mineral spirits and goo gone. Have any of you had any personal experience with black ceramic? Any idea what works best on them to remove the boot marks without harming the finish?

OK I have finished the breather install. I definitely noticed the power increase with the exhaust and I notice even more with the breather added. Again nothing official just going by how it runs now.

Last edited by crawrj; 10-02-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't tell you about boot marks but that looks like a good performance exhaust system with the 2-1 and a nice big muffler. I wouldn't worry about shift points, like I've said in the past up shift when the bike wants to and down shift when the bike wants to, don't worry about the speedo or the tach.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

You were shifting too early, certainly into 5th, 62 or above. Nice pipes, I went with their black slip ons. So far just washed with soapy water, haven't gotten anything on them. What tuner did you use?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by Switchback12
You were shifting too early, certainly into 5th, 62 or above. Nice pipes, I went with their black slip ons. So far just washed with soapy water, haven't gotten anything on them. What tuner did you use?
Well before I was shifting by ear. When it started singing and feeling like it needed a jump I would shift. Never based it on a tach, don't have one. And the shift points laid out in the user manual are even lower. So I felt comfortable shifting in those ranges. And those are approximates as I am doing it by ear and not by tach. With the new system I am going further because it isn't stressing like it was on stock. I went with the PC V. My breather will be here tomorrow so I can complete the setup.

Last edited by crawrj; 09-29-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by jag1886
Can't tell you about boot marks but that looks like a good performance exhaust system with the 2-1 and a nice big muffler. I wouldn't worry about shift points, like I've said in the past up shift when the bike wants to and down shift when the bike wants to, don't worry about the speedo or the tach.
Thanks. It is really well made and turned out larger than I expected, in a good way. Yeah that is what I have been doing. Just wanted a sanity check to make sure I wasn't going to damage anything.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM
vicenzajay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concur - if anything some of your shifting points are lower than I would use. With simple SEII pipes I shift to 4th somewhere around 50-55 mph, then to 5th somewhere around 70 mph. Sportster engines like to operate at higher RPMs.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 AM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by vicenzajay
Concur - if anything some of your shifting points are lower than I would use. With simple SEII pipes I shift to 4th somewhere around 50-55 mph, then to 5th somewhere around 70 mph. Sportster engines like to operate at higher RPMs.
Yeah that it right where I am now. I couldn't go that high on stock just because I felt it was screaming too much at that point. Might have been fine for the bike but I didn't like the sound and feel so I wouldn't push it that high. But now it is not a problem.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM
1HDRIO
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So wheres the sound video? Nice!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1HDRIO
So wheres the sound video? Nice!
Well I was going to throw one up after I put the breather on but with my bonehead mistake it got delayed. I'll get one once that is resolved though. And thanks.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM
crawrj
Tourer

OK I added a video so you can hear it. Just remember that this is on a cell phone so it's not the same as hearing it in person. Also I want to apologize for the video. It's from a cell phone and I don't have a stand or anything so I was holding it.