Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 48, where to start with customization, and what?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nathan-hd48
Thanks DrewBone... I got a bit of self control, and hearing more and more of this really seems to be the way to go. I've got the time, might as well take advantage of it!
Wished I had that self control, lol... I started modding right after getting the bike home

Great recommendations. Workshop manual is the best investment to make followed by anything that will make you more visible on the road... Custom Dynamics LEDs for the turn-signals/brake lights would be another must-do mod.

Stock rear shocks can be replaced by take-offs from an RGC.... but you will find that the ones to really replace are the front ones... I hated the stock dive the bike took every time I hit the brakes. So I would do those first and then keep an eye in the Touring forum or the roadglide.org forum for some used rear shocks (if you are on a budget).

Speedo location? You have the best speedo setup location there is... do not mess with it. Ask me how I know... I moved mine only to put it back in its stock location.

Have fun with your ride. Best part of all this, besides riding, it making the bike yours with the modifications made.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
... I hated the stock dive the bike took every time I hit the brakes. So I would do those first ....
I suggest you consider replacing the stock fork springs with single rate ones. Race Tech make them in several different ratings, so you can match them to your weight. That should reduce dive, also by setting sag correct give you more suspension travel to ride on.

In addition consider using an add-in damper unit, to improve control. I have Emulators in my Sportster, although I can't recommend them, so have a set of Intiminators to install in my Glide, which get good reviews over in the Touring section.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:32 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grbrown
I suggest you consider replacing the stock fork springs with single rate ones. Race Tech make them in several different ratings, so you can match them to your weight. That should reduce dive, also by setting sag correct give you more suspension travel to ride on.

In addition consider using an add-in damper unit, to improve control. I have Emulators in my Sportster, although I can't recommend them, so have a set of Intiminators to install in my Glide, which get good reviews over in the Touring section.
In my case I went with Progressive Monotubes. That took care of the issue and now I love how my bike handles.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:09 PM
3bc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2014 48 and have done just my stage one upgrade so far. The pipes on a 2014 48 are incredibly simple to change. It's all just about undoing/redoing a few bolts and you're done. While it's incredibly simple it's not necessarily incredibly easy. It took me probably 30 minutes of prying my stock mufflers back and forth before they finally loosened up and came off. Patience and elbow grease while not overdoing it and tipping the bike over is the name of the game.

Also did an Arlen Ness big sucker shortly after. That should have been simple but the instructions are terrible. They send a one sheet page that is like a copy of s copy of a copy- very noisy visual/hard to discern pictures. They also do a very poor job of identifying parts that are sometimes very similar to other parts you won't actually use in the installation, which can add some confusion. One you are comfortable that you've sorted out what's what, installation becomes easier.

I personally think that as soon as you are confident that you know what you want and you have a look that you know you want to achieve, start modding away. The only thing that's more fun than riding a new harley is riding a new harley that sounds the way you expect a harley to sound, because bone stock is not that.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

I recommend Figure Machine ac. Easy instructions; Good looking, good service

Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Riding 6 months on stock pipes is 6 months wasted riding. If you have had it for 6 days it's time to put slip ons, minimum so you feel and hear the difference

Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wachuko
In my case I went with Progressive Monotubes. That took care of the issue and now I love how my bike handles.
That looks like a good working alternative! I see they have single-rate springs, which is a good thing and come with better damping.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:15 PM
WYKKED
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After purchasing my superlow 2 months ago I immediately wanted to rush out and spend a heap of money but decided that I would ride it a little and get an idea of exactly what I wanted. I've now put over 2000 kilometers on the bike and things that I first throught would bother me no loner do, and other things have moved up the list. I'm going to start collecting pieces shortly and one of the first things I change will be the grips.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:27 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WYKKED
After purchasing my superlow 2 months ago I immediately wanted to rush out and spend a heap of money but decided that I would ride it a little and get an idea of exactly what I wanted. I've now put over 2000 kilometers on the bike and things that I first throught would bother me no loner do, and other things have moved up the list. I'm going to start collecting pieces shortly and one of the first things I change will be the grips.

The only thing that after riding I decided I didnt want was mid controls.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WYKKED

Very smart!!!...;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD 48, where to start with customization, and what?