Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's upgraded to dual rate springs (font end)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 AM
CaptainHook
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default who's upgraded to dual rate springs (font end)

Ive decided to upgrade my front end, rear has already been done.
So far for the front Ive gotten preload adjusters and Ricor Intiminators looking for a good dual rate spring to go along.
I have a 02 883R Im about 225 with gear
Not looking to lower any and don't do too much two up riding or pack to much onto the bike... I got a dyna for that.

Any one got a dual rate spring they recommend... Links would help

Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I would advise against a dual-rate spring and go with the correct grade single-rate. You get uniform motion over the full range of travel, which with your Intiminators should give you a much improved ride quality. With dual-rate the softer part collapses under compression, then gets coil-bound, when you get the stiffer part of the spring. That's a compromise for general applications, while with single-rate you can have custom suspension!

I have Race Tech springs and they have a chart on their website, so you can order the correct rate springs for your weight. As a fellow FXDXT and XB12R owner you deserve the best!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realize your stock spring is a dual rate type? Hows that treating you?

I agree with grbrowns reccomendations...

Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean dual rate as in two rates?
Like these?
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html
A short light and long standard spring combo for a dual action ride.
I just run the Progressive Suspension Springs 11-1527 standard replacement progressive rate in mine.
I'm sure the dual rates work better , but for the average guy (me) the progressives work really nice.
I would really love to try a set of intiminators , the concept and engineering is quite cool on those.
Here's some more springs to consider.
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...adster/2004-10
With the intiminators , you must run 5wt in order for the valving to work properly.
On my 48 , I had only 3.5" stroke to play with , so I installed roadster damper tubes and got a 5.25" useable length , and with 7wt and the progressives , got a very nice ride compared to stock.
Just about any combo might be an improvement over stock , although the roadster is better to start with.
Mick

Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I recently went through the whole front spring replacing thing on my 00 hugger..I wanted to go back to standard height xl front end and after a ton of research decided that single rate springs rated for my weight with emulators was the way to go...and I couldn't be happier with the results...the bike handles much better and fork dive at stops is practically eliminated...highly recommended by me...there is a thread on this site some where, I will try and find it for you that explains the whole system pretty well...and when I find it I will post it..

Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

read this...it should help you understand the whole front end thing....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html

Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 AM
CaptainHook
Road Captain

That was a good read! I do believe I'm sold on a single rate spring however I don't know that I will disassemble the intiminators. I will install them and see how I feel about the improvement

Old 12-16-2014, 01:20 AM
CaptainHook
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
I would advise against a dual-rate spring and go with the correct grade single-rate. You get uniform motion over the full range of travel, which with your Intiminators should give you a much improved ride quality. With dual-rate the softer part collapses under compression, then gets coil-bound, when you get the stiffer part of the spring. That's a compromise for general applications, while with single-rate you can have custom suspension!

I have Race Tech springs and they have a chart on their website, so you can order the correct rate springs for your weight. As a fellow FXDXT and XB12R owner you deserve the best!
Ive taken your words of wisdom into account and Im going to go with the race tech single rate front spring

Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Ive taken your words of wisdom into account and Im going to go with the race tech single rate front spring
I've got them in my Sporty and recently bought them for my Glide. I also have Emulators in my Sporty and frankly am disappointed with them, so have fabrik8r's Intiminators for my Glide. As you've seen they get good reviews in the Touring forum. I'm not sure that fabrik8r's 'recipe' for tuning them will necessarily work for a much lighter Sporty.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 AM
CaptainHook
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've got them in my Sporty and recently bought them for my Glide. I also have Emulators in my Sporty and frankly am disappointed with them, so have fabrik8r's Intiminators for my Glide. As you've seen they get good reviews in the Touring forum. I'm not sure that fabrik8r's 'recipe' for tuning them will necessarily work for a much lighter Sporty.
I do believe I'm going to put the Intiminators in the sporty the way they come and Im sure it will be such a improvement Ill be happy. They are made different for 39mm sportster than they are for touring I do believe

Quick Reply: who's upgraded to dual rate springs (font end)