Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:45 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

It was not a good day...

After installing the left side, I went to move the bike so I had more room in the garage to work on the right side....and I couldn't even reach my kickstand with the floorboard in the way and the floorboards could not be raised or adjusted out of the way -1

Then I was trying to remove the brake rod and couldn't do it without moving my exhaust so had to loosen the bolts at the head and remove the mounting bolts -2

Then I was trying to determine what length shift rod extension to use and the brake pedal could only move maybe an inch higher so none of the extensions (i.e. 1", 2", and 3") would work since the rod was 8 1/4" -3
Here are a few pics of the highest height the brake pedal could go...

So I thought just install the shift rod so I can adjust the position of the brake pedal if needed, but found out the bolts provided with the shift rod was the wrong size and thread for the brake pedal -4

So I reinstalled everything back to its original state.....not a happy camper and $300+ down the drain. Nothing against DK customs full floorboards but things you need to consider if your have mids.

Live and learn.

Last edited by hscic; 07-29-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by hscic
It was not a good day...

After installing the left side, I went to . . .

Live and learn.
Sorry to hear that, you got a sweet ride too bad the gremlins came with the new hardware, if you do mods (I'm guessing you will) let us see what happens, I know DK is quite conscientious and may chip-in to help sort this out. They did for me when my tuner went AWOL.

Cheers and be happy, your ride will really stand out when those boards finally get placed.

Prost!
Dave
Save

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidStiebel:
hscic (01-06-2018), rdunnill (02-15-2018)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:59 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Sorry to hear that, you got a sweet ride too bad the gremlins came with the new hardware, if you do mods (I'm guessing you will) let us see what happens, I know DK is quite conscientious and may chip-in to help sort this out. They did for me when my tuner went AWOL.

Cheers and be happy, your ride will really stand out when those boards finally get placed.

Prost!
Dave
Save
Thanks Dave....I was working with Kevin along the way especially on the brake side since I was not aware I needed to raise the brake pedal until after I got the floorboard (but it was stated on the website...I just missed that part).

I got the shift rod and extensions at his suggestion. He did mentioned I need to check the bolt size for the pedal, but I had no way of knowing until I removed the brake rod. I also ordered a stock brake rod to mod into an adjustable rod i.e. die the rod and pick up a sleeve. So when that comes in, I will measure and I will get the correct length and thread bolts for the shift rod

So yes I will do more searching to see if there is something out there that will work. The left side felt great to have support under my whole foot....I would have loved to have both sides.

We will see...it may not be meant to be! Thanks again.

Last edited by hscic; 07-30-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:49 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

2016 48 with 4.5 gallon tank

Now my bike feels/looks like a bagger

Old 07-30-2017, 05:13 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 14IronCross

2016 48 with 4.5 gallon tank

Now my bike feels/looks like a bagger
Very nice...I see you relocated your coil and cleaned up under the tank...sweet. I like the chrome and black....not a fan of blacked out bikes but yours has a good balance. You will love bags to carry your stuff and ride free....if you can get over the bobber look that many of the younger folk strive for.

Thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
14IronCross (08-15-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:56 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
...it may not be meant to be!
Horse hockey.
You'll figure it out.
That's why it's called "customizing".

Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Horse hockey.
You'll figure it out.
That's why it's called "customizing".
LOL...it's not over until it's over. Not giving up yet....but it surely is discouraging when the plan doesn't go as anticipated. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:15 AM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

just added a sundowner seat, wow what a difference compared to stock seat, now I feel I can go tour around for hours at a time

Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Shame about the boards Hscic, didn't have that issue on mine with forwards.
Maybe that's the way to go to get it right, I would find it hard to go back to pegs now.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:12 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 14IronCross

just added a sundowner seat, wow what a difference compared to stock seat, now I feel I can go tour around for hours at a time
Did not know sundowner had a touring solo....looks like a Mustang wide vintgage solo....very nice, ready to ride.

So you changed out your 2.1 gal tank to a 4.5 gal tank.....a friend of mine wanted to buy a 48 and was thinking of changing out the tank....was that a simple swap or did you need to do any mods to get it to work properly?

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger