Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with '89 Sportster 1200 wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Dawntreader
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 89 wiring diagram but it does seem different to what I am seeing on the bike. There is an aftermarket unit where the ignition module would be.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawntreader
I have the 89 wiring diagram but it does seem different to what I am seeing on the bike. There is an aftermarket unit where the ignition module would be.
Here is mine for a 86-90.

White is hot from kill, hot to ignition mod. Blue is signal to ignition (spark signal ground) pink goes to tack.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Dawntreader
Novice

OK where the control module should be there is a Badlands module there is nothin needs to be connected there.
When I removed the white and blue wires one was attached to the frame above the back cylinder, the other was attached somewhere near the battery though not to the battery as it is a bastard to remove the battery and I would have remembered doing so.
These wires appear to return to the tachometer, when I connected one + and other- the tacho light comes on though nothing else happens.This is obviously not right or I would flat the battery overnite!
For some reason I remember both blue and white were attached to the frame one by the back tank mount the other to the rear fender mount.
Please help!!!!!

Old 03-08-2015, 01:35 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I think the Badlands thing is a turn signal module load equalizer. Perhaps there is an aftermarket ignition module inside your "nosecone" on the cam case? Might take a peek inside if there are screws to remove round cover plate on the cam case.

I have a 1991, but my wiring is a bit different, no blue wire.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-08-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Dawntreader
Novice

[QUOTE=John Harper;13784165]I think the Badlands thing is a turn signal module load equalizer. Perhaps there is an aftermarket ignition module inside your "nosecone" on the cam case? Might take a peek inside if there are screws to remove round cover plate on the cam case.
Hi John this is basically what I have done so far. I replaced the rear fender and petrol tank. While removing tank there was one wire attached to the rear tank mount bolt this was one of a pair the white one comes from the coil the blue one meets up with this but comes from the h/lamp.
To remove the old rear fender I removed the 4 relays attached to the fender, unbolted the fender from the frame disconnected the wires to rear light and indicators.
When fitting the new fender I refitted the relays connected lights and was left with the blue and the white cables which have ring connectors and a third wire black which has a female spade end. I know either the blue or white goes to the frame as thats where it was to start I just need to know where the blue (twinned with the white) goes and where the black goes.
The bike turns over has a healthy spark at the plugs and all the lights except for tacho light work. The tacho light works if I put the blue cable to power and ground the white or vice versa but stays on even when the ignition not switched on!
Please someone help, this is driving me mad.
Thanx

Old 03-08-2015, 02:19 PM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure what your talking about,is it the coil wires or just the wires for the light in your tach,does the bike start and run?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:32 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I think pink is the signal wire for the tach, tach power and light power should be separate wire. Have you checked the nosecone for an ignition module? Perhaps the black wire connects and is just and extension of your pink tach signal wire? Just guessing.

My 1991 manual shows an orange and a pink wire to the tach, with a black ground wire for the tach light bulb. So, orange should power the tach and the light I think. The pink should signal tach the RPM. Trace those wires and see if someone spliced in another color to lengthen them. I got an 883 so no tach, but my FSM wiring diagram shows it for 1200s.

Sure you wired the circuit breakers correctly, sounds like you have a hot wire not switched too. What wires are coming from your tach?

John

Last edited by John Harper; 03-08-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Dawntreader
Novice

The bike runs but I have these surplus wires. I assume the white and blue which share the same sleeve are for the tacho.
Have no idea what or where the black wire goes.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Someone has probably added a coil and change wire color, can you see what lug on the coil both wires go?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

And this black wire where does it go to?

Quick Reply: Please help with '89 Sportster 1200 wiring