Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Progressive Fork Springs (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1034092-progressive-fork-springs.html)

USAFANGWINGNUT67 03-19-2015 04:05 PM

Progressive Fork Springs

Had some Progressive Fork Springs(1527)installed on my 2012 1200C Sportster today. One of the best upgrades I've had done.
Always felt that the front tire was just well too much tire for the bike. Doesn't quite feel that way now. Just one of the many benefits of dumping those cheap springs HD puts on the Sportster.
Next it's a toss-up between shocks or seat.

Guzzi 03-19-2015 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by USAFANGWINGNUT67 (Post 13825241)
Had some Progressive Fork Springs(1527)installed on my 2012 1200C Sportster today. One of the best upgrades I've had done.
Always felt that the front tire was just well too much tire for the bike. Doesn't quite feel that way now. Just one of the many benefits of dumping those cheap springs HD puts on the Sportster.
Next it's a toss-up between shocks or seat.

Front springs is my next mod. How does the bike handle with the new springs?
If you are looking for shocks, I have a set of barely used 11 inch Progressive 430:s shocks I can make you a good deal on.

asianiron 03-19-2015 08:55 PM

I'd be interested in the rear shocks if OP isnt.

Guzzi 03-19-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by asianiron (Post 13826317)
I'd be interested in the rear shocks if OP isnt.

PM sent.

USAFANGWINGNUT67 03-26-2015 01:42 PM

Front springs is my next mod. How does the bike handle with the new springs?
No comparison between stock and Progressives.

Mick 03-26-2015 05:03 PM

The 11-1527 Progressive springs made a big difference on my '48 also.
The stock springs are very long and soft , and progressive wound.
The Progressives are shorter , slightly stiffer , and progress more quickly to the higher rate.
I was able to bottom the forks at will with the single disk front brake at nearly any speed.
I also installed longer damper tubes to increase the total length of the forks by nearly 2"
Stock forks had about 3.5" total stroke , the mod forks have about 5.25" total stroke.
Now I can't bottom the forks , even when I try doing panic stops on purpose.
I have the sag set at 1.5" so I have all the travel I had and then some .....
Very worthwhile addition to the bike.
Mick

hexnut 03-26-2015 08:00 PM

Yeah I got progressive front springs on my 2014 Superlow. I used the 3 inch spacer that came with the springs. Made all the difference in the world. Before I could just sit on the bike hold the front brake and push down and bottom it out. I can't bottom it out now. Rides and handles better also.

sroc3 03-27-2015 10:18 AM

Same here. MY front springs have given me WAY more confidence in the twisties.....the only issue I have is just freeway comfort. I think the real issue is that I'm light - weigh 150lbs. I changed my bars to the ones MICK has and they helped greatly from a posture standpoint. But any ride on the freeways over 3 miles and I'm toast :( Any irregularities on the road destroy me. I'm just too light....grrrrrr.

On Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) I'm fine, but it's also mostly smoothly-paved asphalt for 30 miles :) I'm hoping getting the "gold Emulators" from Race-tech or intiminators might help solve this issue.