Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My hello, Here's my 48 & Dyno PV tuning Question

Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 PM
2011sportster48
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My hello, Here's my 48 & Dyno PV tuning Question

Firstly I would like to say hi to everyone, I'm new here, joined recently and only now have the time to say Hi and create this post.

2011 - 48, list of my mods (with install notes and perhaps helpful hints):

Arlen Ness Fusion Knurled footpegs:
These are not OEM and as all 48 owners should be aware, for some stupid reason HD decided to make an offset clevis, WHY!!. Well I have rebelled and did not pay to replace these. 5 minutes on the bench grinder (feel free to use and angle grinder) and you cannot tell the difference, pegs fit perfectly. Shifter pegs is a lot longer than stock but not so hard to become accustom.

1” Z Bars, Narrow glide, Custom made:
(29” wide, 6” Rise, 4” Pullback, 7” inside centre). Slotted but I needed to make the slots longer for the wires so the switch housing would go back on. Used a small dremel fitting to do the job. No extended/replacement cables required, stock all reached, only exception was to bend the brake line to reach, still works no issue.

Riser Spacer Kit, 1200x 55900074:
Required so the bars would clear the fork cap.

Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 1:
You can actually hear this thing sucking in the air, wow!
Instructions are a bit confusing but with a little thought you can work out what is required then it’s pretty easy to install.

Cycle Shack baloney cut slip-ons:
A little louder than I would have liked but people are now aware of my presence and at times they move over to let me through. I have not had an issue with cars pulling out, cutting me off etc since installing these. So with that, I don’t mind that they are loud. Easy to install, they are called slip-on and they do just that, its getting the old ones off that was the pain, she didn’t want to give them up without a fight!

Note:
I felt a little extra horse power when I installed the pipes but with the AC combined this has made a huge difference. I can truly feel that these have added extra horses and the bike now feels like an Olympic sprinter rather than an overweight asthmatic running to get in line at the all you can eat buffet (no offence intended).
I am using the Dynojet Power Vision to sort out the tuning. According to the Website FAQs this will take a few goes as I still have the original sensors on the exhausts.

Avon Performance Air Cushion grips:
These are so much better than stock. I have large hands so holding onto the thin stock grips would make my hands ache.

PlastiDip x2 white and 1 glossifer:
This was done to see if I liked the white, I love it and will now look to get this done professionally. Took about 3 hours to do, spray a coat, wait 20 minutes, spray another coat etc. Not sure how many coats I did in the end, I did quite a few as I did not use an undercoat, my understanding is that this would make the paint more permanent. Mistakes are easily fixed using paint thinner, rubbing it on until the dip becomes liquid again and the area is smooth, wait until its dry then just respary again.

Lethal Threat Decal:
Something to break up the white, I will be getting a custom picture when the tank is repainted

Smokey Lenses - front turn signal only:
Required relocation as the mirrors were hitting them due to Z bars. As there is no slot on the lower cross member of the triple tree I had to cut the nodule off each so they would fit.

Orange reflectors on front forks:
Removed using WD40 and fishing line. I sprayed plenty of WD40 to the backs of each, I let it soak in then ran the fishing line behind and they popped right off.

Things left to do:
Custom paint
New seat or re-foam, (gel, memory foam or just firmer foam).

Question (Dynojet PV):
I replaced the exhaust no issue, I replaced the AC and as expected it needed a tune, hence why I bought the dyno Power Vision tuner. On the first ride it was popping and carrying on, no problem as I flashed a tune and it was better with only minor popping. I am still in the process of tuning and at present I have edited the tune 3 times and flashed 3 times.

The issue I have:
After the above I had her running like a dream, purring like a kitten, I rode her today and last week, both times she was popping and carrying on, today was especially bad!. I’m now confused as nothing has changed, the tune has not changed; I used the same fuel as always, everything is still locked down and nothing has come lose like the exhaust, AC etc, it feels like I’m having to start all over again, any ideas??

Attached Thumbnails My hello, Here's my 48 & Dyno PV tuning Question-1.jpg   My hello, Here's my 48 & Dyno PV tuning Question-2.jpg   My hello, Here's my 48 & Dyno PV tuning Question-3.jpg   My hello, Here's my 48 & Dyno PV tuning Question-4.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

The bike has to warm up completely before you evaluate the tune. I have a 48 and PV, figure machine AC and Rush slip ons. After the temp reaches over 300 F I have only few pops.

You can get rid of the pop by fuel enrichment. What it does is it cools down your pipes and the pops are prevented, but you loose some mpg.
The pops wont hurt the engine, a few pops here and there wont hurt. So after few tunes I am just letting it go and ride it.

If you want post your VE and MAP table and I will compare it with mine.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

add 5% more fuel to the 0% TP section of the map. Evaluate and see how you go.

AT will cure almost all the pop, but sometimes a bit of fine tuning is required.

confirm head pipe, slip on and connecting pipes are all tight and have good seal. The old BBQ lighter trick for checking for leaks can help.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:40 AM
2011sportster48
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for responding

Cheers both for your responses. I am back at work and will review the matter when I'm off next. I am thinking I will revert to the last good tune I had then start from there. I have checked that everything is buttoned up so that is not the issue.
The ride before last there were only a few pops, the last ride it was pretty bad, similar to when I first installed the AC and before I flashed a preconfigured tune to the ECM. I am thinking the edit of the last tune I flashed may have been dodgy, I will let you know. I will also post a copy of the maps as this will be interesting and educational, I am trying to understand what is good and bad in the figures listed.

In regards to the temp, the last ride I checked the idle and temp whilst it was warming up, it had a target of 205, once this was reached it stated it was "warmed up"?