Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Chrome Or Buy Another Jiffy Stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM
henryw
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I Chrome Or Buy Another Jiffy Stand?

Very shortly, I plan to chrome the battery and oil covers, upper chain guard, and jiffy stand of my 2015 XL1200T. Should I have the stock jiffy stand chromed, or is there a aftermarket chromed jiffy stand that is of better quality that looks and works better than the OEM jiffy stand?

Old 05-25-2015, 04:04 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I think JP cycles or Dennis Kirk probably have chrome stands. My 1991 came with a chrome jiffy, thought they all did.

John

Old 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm curious why you say the OEM stand is not good other that it's not chrome. I've never had any problems with the stands on the Sporties other than having to add a reach extender.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:19 PM
henryw
Intermediate
Default Why replace jiffy stand?

I guess I don't like the open slot on the bottom of the stand. It looks unfinished. According to the accessories catalog, they don't make an extender for that year and model of jiffy stand. I don't know why as I thought the XL1200T was just using an 883 Superlow frame. Perhaps I should just take a chance and buy an extender to see if it works. I could maybe modify it if it doesn't work. Hell, I spent enough money on accessories already, so what's another $35-$45 more dollars. Also, sometimes the Harley accessories catalog is off in application and/or numbers so it might fit all along. Besides I couldn't find an aftermarket jiffy stand in JP Cycles, Dennis Kirk, or any other web sites.

I also feel the stand should stay in the forward position with more tension. I am worried that one day the bike will fall because the bike got pushed forward or I didn't set the stand completely forward. Perhaps a shorter or stronger spring might help.

So far no problems--I'm just thinking of ways to make something better and prevent future problems.

Last edited by henryw; 05-25-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I replaced both my covers and the jiffy stand. I bought direct chrome replacements for the cover. I purchased an aftermarket jiffy stand since I needed to shorten the jiffy stand since I lowered the bike. My 2011 had a chrome stock jiffy stand. I also added an extender to the shorter jiffy stand.
Not sure why you want to chrome everything unless it is a lot cheaper. Why not purchase direct replacements from HD and sell you original covers on ebay or CL. I believe the cost for the HD covers were about $125 each but you may find it on ebay/CL for less. The aftermarket chrome kickstand was about $58 and the aftermarket upper belt guard was about $60, but you can probably find the same for less if you look around i.e. J&P, Dennis Kirk, Amazon, Revzilla, ebay, CL, etc. Sold most of my OEM parts on CL to recover some cost.
Good luck!

Last edited by hscic; 05-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM
henryw
Intermediate

Buying covers from Harley was my first thought, however, the chrome oil and battery covers they make are only for 04-13 XL models, not 2015. I believe 2014-15 XL1200Ts' are have a bigger battery and hence the different covers. At $115 a cover, I will be saving money as www.atlaschrome.com will chrome the covers for $60 a piece. A chromed upper chain guard is available from Harley at $90, but I figure why not save $30 and send my upper chain guard (and Jiffy stand) along with my covers and get everything chromed at once.

The problem is going to be the 3 weeks or so it will take to send the parts and get them back. Not having my bike operational for three weeks will cause me withdrawal pains!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by henryw

I also feel the stand should stay in the forward position with more tension. I am worried that one day the bike will fall because the bike got pushed forward or I didn't set the stand completely forward. Perhaps a shorter or stronger spring might help.

So far no problems--I'm just thinking of ways to make something better and prevent future problems.
With the stand fully extended and with the weight on the stand from the bike while leaning on it, it's very hard for the stand to fold back by just pushing on it. Its designed to lock in until the weight is off of it. Every time I put the stand down on my bikes, I always pull back a little on the bars in order to make sure the stand is in place. If you get into that habit you shouldn't have problems.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The chrome will definitely wear off on the bottom of the Jiffy stand and be noticeable when up. Might want to find something in stainless steel instead if you want to replace. Personally, the black kinda matches your bike.

On the topic of matching, I personally like paint matched covers. I have these on my '11 Custom. The covers might look nice in that Jade Green, and the chrome might take away from that nice paint of yours.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 PM
henryw
Intermediate

You brought up very good points RKZEN. I like hdforums because you get different a prospective on doing things, or reinforces what you have considered and/or perhaps dismissed. The thought has briefly crossed my mind of going with deep jade green side covers, but I thought that either a shop could not match the deep metal-flake green correctly, or it would be to too expensive, say over $200 a piece.

Do you think a good body shop could match the color and how much would something like that will cost?

Attached Thumbnails Should I Chrome Or Buy Another Jiffy Stand?-xl1200t.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Check with your HD dealer. The paint matched side covers might be available from the HD Color Shop, as well as pricing. Ask if they use or recommend a good painter, and if so, check out their work. The metal flakes in that Jade Green have a really nice pop in the sun

I have a newer style Tour-Pak (trunk) for my RK and my painter matched the Ember Red Sunglo paint perfect.

Last edited by RKZen; 05-26-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I Chrome Or Buy Another Jiffy Stand?