Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:17 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 Review

Changing out the exhaust system and air cleaner will affect the running of the engine - more air in, easier route for gases to escape means the mixture probably needs to be adjusted. Running too lean can potentially burn out valves, while running to rich can big down the engine.

Years ago this was done by replacing jets in the carburettor. Since HD started fitting Electronic Fuel Injection to its bikes, and new fangled computers onboard our machines, there is a need to do things differently.

You can go down the route of resistors to trick the bike into running richer, get a piggy back black box that needs to be permanently connected to the Electroinc Control Module (ECM or Brain) to intercept and modify the signals or get a tuner box that will actually apply a new fuel mapping to the ECM - overwriting the old one.

The V&H Fuelpak FP3 is the last option - a tuner box that plugs into the HD-Lan diagnostic port to interrogate, and reprogramme, the ECM. It can only be used on newer HDs. It overwrites a new fuel map onto the ECM and the device can be removed afterwards.

Initial Impression

Although a similar price to other tuners, I was attracted to the FP3 due to the fact you connect to it via Bluetooth from your Apple/Android phone to programme the bike.

Packaging was very slick, a little Apple'esque, with only a simple quick start leaflet relative to whatever phone you have.

It was easy to do the initial setup, which includes downloading the free app, connecting via BT, downloading and applying a new firmware to the FP3 and connecting to the bike.

Using the FP3

Out of the box, until you actually flash a map to the bike, the FP3 is not locked to your bike - you can read any trouble codes, look at sensor outputs etc. As soon as you flash the bike with a new map it then cannot be used to flash any other bike(s). However, you can still use it on other bikes as a diagnostic tool in the future which may be handy but offers limited resale value to the device.

One of the first things it does is to back up the existing fuel map in the ECM - this is stored in the first slot and can be used to return your bike back to stock.

Next, you can browse the exhaust types (not just limited to V&H) and select the baffle type to search for any maps that are designed to work with your combination of aftermarket parts.

All the maps assume you have a high-flow air cleaner fitted so there is no need to choose the exact air cleaner that you have.

You can even flash a new map to a stock bike by choosing the exhaust manufacturer as HD (as I did initially) which actually made the bike feel more responsive on the short test ride.

Afterwards, I applied the correct map for the V&H Short-shots I had just fitted to my bike and it runs really well.

At this point, you can unplug the FP3 and leave it in the cupboard.

However, there are two further features that are worth exploring...

Sensor Data

One useful feature, although difficult to use whilst riding the bike, unless you have a mobile phone holder on the handlebars is a live output of sensor data.

You can view all sorts from RPM, Temp, Speed, Battery, Torque, Fuel economy etc.

How much of this is real and how much is guesstimated based on known readings I am not sure.

Auto-Tune

I have only seen information in the internet about this feature, and based on the way the bike is running with the V&H map for my exhaust, may never actually use it.

It basically adjusts individual settings across the rev range in line with your riding style, actual bike sensor readings and other environmental factors such as ambient temp etc.

Looks pretty cool, but no experience of actually using it. It could be used to iron out a flat spot for example.

I will update this review if I do actually use the Auto-Tune feature.

Overall Rating

9/10 Recommended (could be cheaper*)

*although it is cheaper than going to HD for a Stage 1 download and you can use it again whenever required.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bl0at3r:
pdbuzz (04-26-2017), Tattooed Alex (11-07-2016)
Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Old 06-24-2015, 04:13 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice review, thanks.

Whilst the end result is obviously the same, for the home spanner guy, it looks a lot easier to use than the SEPST. I like the fact you can get V&H to adjust your map too. I'd deffo be using the autotune feature and getting away from a generic map.

Last edited by Mr_Taipan; 06-24-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer

No worries - yes, at lot more DIY than the SEPST or SERT.

I will be trying the Auto-Tune next so will report back.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:35 AM
lowered883
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running the FP3 for almost a year now, i can't be happier with the outcome. i have since removed my speedo and attached my iPhone to my head light brow (2014 iron 883) i can view the sensor data sheet on the go and keep an eye on temp, speed, RPM, Gear indicator and fuel economy all in the same screen. i love it for that reason. i also have run a iPhone charging cable through my bike so i can charge on the ride. What if it rains? well, i also have my phone in a life proof nuud waterproof case. works out real nice and cleans up that goofy looking speedo mount.

I highly suggest using the AUTOTUNE feature. i used it when my bike was stock, made a huge difference. then i used it again when i got pipes and filter, again made a huge difference over the generated map. but after this winter i installed a 1250 kit and put the autotune to the test. i wasn't 100% happy with it until i autotuned for about 8 hours one day. now my bike runs like a top again and I'm back to being happy.

I'm wondering if V&H will bring out their own o2 sensors like the powevision offers to fine tune your bike even more. I'm guessing the better o2 sensors are more sensitive and can read exhaust mixtures better.

Anyways I'm 100% happy with the product as well. would recommend it to anyone with a newer harley.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 AM
joedown53
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like the fp3. I was cautious on buying it since I had a power vision on my last bike. My fp3 should be here in another day.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:19 AM
siik2nr
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is great news!. Cause I ordered the FP3 yesterday. I hope to get the same results. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Bl0at3r
Tourer

Hope it works as well for you guys...

Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FP3 video shows the iPhone indicating speed(mph), temp, etc. This is 'live' data correct? So if I'm traveling at 40mph indicated by my speedo, it should be the same on my iPhone linked to a connected FP3 right?

Is there any harm in leaving the FP3 connected all the time so you could use your iPhone as a digital dashboard full time?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxxtar
The FP3 video shows the iPhone indicating speed(mph), temp, etc. This is 'live' data correct? So if I'm traveling at 40mph indicated by my speedo, it should be the same on my iPhone linked to a connected FP3 right?

Is there any harm in leaving the FP3 connected all the time so you could use your iPhone as a digital dashboard full time?
From what I read in their FAQs it can be left on for live data viewing.

Does the Fuelpak FP3 have to stay plugged into the motorcycle or can it be taken off?

Answer: The Fuelpak FP3 may be removed from the motorcycle once the map has been flashed to the ECM. For Live Sensor Data and Diagnostic Code reading or any other map editing or viewing Android & Apple the Fuelpak FP3 must be plugged in.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 Review