Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on drag bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 PM
legionxxii
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on drag bars

Ok so I know nothing on drag bars and need some explaining on the different kinds. Also pics would be great the bike is a 2014 Iron. Also how do the drag bars feel on the shoulders? I was just informed today that I may potentially have 2 torn ligaments in my right shoulder (no big deal) so I cant go up with the bars like I planned.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 AM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

Drag bars are basically just flat, no rise handlebars. Some have varying degrees of pull back some are broomstick straight. Really just depends on what you want. I have mine down turned a but, has me lean forward more which I find highway riding easier to be at anyhow, but you will have to stretch forward more than sitting straight up right if thats what your looking for. More aggressive, but I like them.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:48 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't have these bars on my bike anymore. But they where broomstick bars with a 6 inch riser.

Made me sit forward. Which was nice at first. Kinda like a cafe style. But I changed them out for mini apes for more comfort.

If your interested I still have the broomstick bars. I'd sell them cheap.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

i had the harley mini apes on my sporty ---
but because of my accident on my other scoot and with the injuries to my shoulder an arm an ribs i could not use them any longer -

i got drag bars -- i can ride all day without any shoulder pain ..
it was a problem to keep my arm up while riding more then 1 hour
the drag bars are perfect i dont have to hold the arm up so yeah the drag bars def helped me for that almost same reason ..

Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I had them on mine... loved the looks, but wife wanted to use the bike as well and was not happy with them... so stock bars went back on...

Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Have em, love em. They really make the tipping point on the bike a bit more drastic which means (at least for me) that if you have that stock iron exhaust that you will probably be scrapping it quite often. But as everybody stated, they are just flush with your risers and have a slight degree of pullback which a lot of peopole such as myself and Zanejjnelson1 point down. I have no pain riding with them although I am also short and have youth on my side. But mine is also a 14 so they can give you a great idea how they would look.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 PM
legionxxii
Advanced

Thanks guys hows the lean forward on your back? Did it affect you much from the stock bars?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 PM
dastpe
Intermediate

i have 4" risers with drag bars with a slight pull back and i am looking for a set of stock risers to go back to. i do love the feel of the drag bars, and the looks. as for lower back pain going through a tank of gas is about my limit on the stock iron seat.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 PM
RLJ
Cruiser

perfect timing on the post, just went out for a ride earlier on my '05 Roadster and was thinking about looking into some drag bars myself. Definitely like the look and I typically use my Roadster in-town or on short trips anyway.........

Old 06-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

I'm 26 as of today actually, growing up so fast!!! -_-, but for me it doesn't really bother me at all honestly, maybe its because I'm younger though? I'm like 5'11 or 6' so with my forwards it puts me into the C shape a little but but I kind of like it. To me it feels like my back is stretched out a little bit, but I also have passenger pegs so I can put my feet back on them and sit more straight backed or relaxed however and it doesn't bother me either way.

Quick Reply: School me on drag bars