Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cager backed up into my front tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cager backed up into my front tire

People are really idiots sometimes (but)....I was parked in the spot behind a car in a shopping plaza - the spots were horizontal. And this guy, his wife and mother walked Towards their car from the REAR, so they obviously saw my bike as they approached. The ***** then backs up into my front tire, and my bike drags back about a foot and a half on its kickstand. Miraculously, the bike stays upright and, after inspection, nothing happend to the bike. The guy gets out, I say "dude did you really just hit my bike? Seriously?" He says sorry then looks at it and as if in a trance slowly says "well, I only hit the tire", looks at me then makes his way back to his car. On his way out, of the lot, he had to pass my bike so I stopped him and got his info in case I had a transmission issue or something. I didnt use any angry tones, just asked him for his info and said "hey man I know stuff happens, you didn't mean it, but just want to make sure I'm covered". He totally seemed ok about it and was like "sure man I'll give you my number". Thankfully it seems there is no damage to the bike at all....must have been that 48 fat front tire that saved it. Definitely an idiot moment for him, but he had the decency to stop, say sorry and give his info. Score one for the human race that day

Last edited by sroc3; 06-28-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by sroc3
People are really idiots sometimes (but)....I was parked in the spot behind a car in a shopping plaza - the spots were horizontal. And this guy, his wife and mother walked Towards their car from the REAR, so they obviously saw my bike as they approached. The ***** then backs up into my front tire, and my bike drags back about a foot and a half on its kickstand. Miraculously, the bike stays upright and, after inspection, nothing happend to the bike. The guy gets out, I say "dude did you really just hit my bike? Seriously?" He says sorry then looks at it and as if in a trance slowly says "well, I only hit the tire", looks at me then makes his way back to his car. On his way out, of the lot, he had to pass my bike so I stopped him and got his info in case I had a transmission issue or something. I didnt use any angry tones, just asked him for his info and said "hey man I know stuff happens, you didn't mean it, but just want to make sure I'm covered". He totally seemed ok about it and was like "sure man I'll give you my number". Thankfully it seems there is no damage to the bike at all....must have been that 48 fat front tire that saved it. Definitely an idiot moment for him, but he had the decency to stop, say sorry and give his info. Score one for the human race that day
1. if no one was around ... he would have just bounced.

2. be careful where you park. park on the side walk when available/legal.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Thumper87
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go get you biked looked over by the stealer to be safe. I literally just had this happen a week ago except my bike got knocked up onto a curb, still can't believe it didn't go over. Anyway the front wheel ended up being bent, needed a new front fender and custom matching paint and a front end alignment. End result, $1,900 in damage and I haven't had my bike for over a week now...

Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 AM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that Thumper. Ooo good advice. Will have it checked tomorrow at the dealer.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper87
Go get you biked looked over by the stealer to be safe. I literally just had this happen a week ago except my bike got knocked up onto a curb, still can't believe it didn't go over. Anyway the front wheel ended up being bent, needed a new front fender and custom matching paint and a front end alignment. End result, $1,900 in damage and I haven't had my bike for over a week now...

You are trusting your life to your bike when you ride the freeway in particular. Have it checked out by the dealer or an authorized Harley serviceman.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Jasber
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just another reason why I hate people in general.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to think I would have handled it the same way, but don't think I would have if the guy just started walking away like that.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
I like to think I would have handled it the same way, but don't think I would have if the guy just started walking away like that.
Damn right Bro. Back into my tire in a private lot or not, it's still a FREAKING accident.

Pushing the OP bike that far backwards more than likely knock the rear wheel out of alignment. Yes have the dealer go over your bike with a fine tooth comb.

Also you should report it to his insurance regardless. You did get his insurance, right.

Another thing, you might want to see if the store has video too, just incase he tries to weasel out on you. Keep us posted.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

i would have called the cops the second he drove off an reported hit n run ! but thats me

this way at least u have a report of the incident .. go get it all checked out - ur eyeball cant tell if its aligned , snug, and all squared !