Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   1200 nightster weight limit stock suspension (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1057002-1200-nightster-weight-limit-stock-suspension.html)

tatrhed 07-02-2015 07:55 AM

1200 nightster weight limit stock suspension

Hello all, bought my first street bike about 2 months ago (fore mentioned 2008 XL 1200N) and loving it. As I am getting more comfortable on the street the Wife is learning and this will be hers. Until then, we would like to ride together on nice days.

I read in the manual, in how to adjust shocks area, that passengers and cargo are not recommended on stock 1200N suspension. I scoured the manual for about 2 hours looking then took to google and this forum and all of the searches return total weight of the bike, or "it can carry 440 lbs." I have seen 250lb guys on stock 883's and they said it was fine for them.

The two of us combined weigh about 300-315 lbs. That is also accounting for boots, helmets, etc. If I set the shocks to max pre-load (5 for me), is this overloading stock suspension? I would rather not, but if I need to get progressive springs, what do you guys recommend that is not Harley? There has to be a product that is equal to or better out there for a fraction of the cost. Labor part seems easy enough.

Kenny94945 07-02-2015 09:28 AM

Setting to stock shocks to their highest preload position (5) is fine.
No issues.
(When riding solo just consider the ride like a hard tail - you will be fine).

Changing shocks is a big debate with many choices.
Budget appears to be Progressive Suspension Brand Heavy Duty 11.5 inch shocks - @$200
Ohliens brand is well regarded yet pricey.

Stock shock length is 11.0 inches and many go as far as 13.5" length.
Do a search to your hearts content.

tatrhed 07-02-2015 05:15 PM

Thank you. Does anyone know why the manual specifies the 1200N specifically for the "cargo or passengers" need different shocks without saying how much they can handle?

Mick 07-02-2015 09:31 PM

If the bike "can handle" 440lbs , that is the capacity of the bike like the GVWR of a car or truck.
The shocks may not ride well at that weight , but it "can do it" if need be.
If your combined weight is 315lbs , you are within the bikes limits.
Crank up the shocks to max and see how it handles.
If it only bottoms ocassionally , you're still OK.
If you went to the Progressive Suspension site , they will show most shocks in standard and heavy duty.
If you were to ride two up the majority of the time , they would recommend the heavy duty for the better weight handling capacity.
Go easy and see how it handles , you might be fine with the stock spring rate at 315lbs and the max adjustment.
Mick

florida_italian 07-03-2015 09:42 AM

I have that same bike, see sig. Wife and I are about 330 combined. We do a lot of local site-seeing and lunch and dinner rides. Granted have not done any trips longer than an hour but the bike has been fine. Once in a while it will bottom out and I do plan on upgrading shocks at some point. But for now we ride.

tatrhed 07-06-2015 10:10 AM

Thanks for responses. I'll do what ya'll have, and adjust shocks and go.

Out of curiosity, what is different about the 1200N and the 883 iron (if I remember correctly) that causes the manual to call out those two specifically that should have upgraded shocks?