Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 sportster motor questions

Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
BlackHornet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 sportster motor questions

Hey guys, got a 1993 sportster here and the motor is in need of a rebuild. I was WONDERING if a 1200 from a Buell would bolt into the frame? I have used google for the past few days and have found where it has been done but no details as to which year Buell motors will bolt into which year Sportster frames. Reason for this is that the Buell motors (mid-late 90s, I believe) would be nice for the heads and the lightened crank. This would all be carbed motors and no EFI motors.

So, does anybody know of what year 1200cc Buell motors have the same motor mounts as a 1993 Sportster? If this exact question has been answered then please feel free to post the thread for I must have skipped over it. I do not mind reading for the answer at all. I will continue doing some research in the mean time.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not 100% sure. But I think they have diffrent frames. So I don't think they would line up. But I could be wrong.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

It will not be a direct bolt in. The motor mounts are different.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:48 PM
BlackHornet
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
It will not be a direct bolt in. The motor mounts are different.

ALL Buell motor mounts are different? I know that once Buell started making their motors as part of the structure of their frames, the motor mounts/cases changed. I have read ads for sportsters saying that a Buell motor has been swapped in by the dealer which then leads me to believe that not much, if any, fabrication was needed since a dealer most likely wont take the liability of a custom project like that. I just cant find any definite years and models of Buells. I have seen multiple sportsters with them, just none with the information I am after.

....the search will go. Any help, please chime in

Old 07-13-2015, 08:26 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

It can be done if you use a tube frame Buell motor. Those are the closest to the XL engines. From my understanding, they are not too different. You might run in to some slight issues like a bolt here or there, but it's not nearly as bad as an XB engine would be.

It's just it won't be 100% direct bolt in and swap everything. There might be a few things you need to knacker with to get it right, but as long as you stay away from the XB engines you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 AM
BlackHornet
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
It can be done if you use a tube frame Buell motor. Those are the closest to the XL engines. From my understanding, they are not too different. You might run in to some slight issues like a bolt here or there, but it's not nearly as bad as an XB engine would be.

It's just it won't be 100% direct bolt in and swap everything. There might be a few things you need to knacker with to get it right, but as long as you stay away from the XB engines you shouldn't have a problem.
THANKS for the insight!!! I knew for a fact that the XB engines wouldn't work because they were actually used as part of the frame. So when you say few things to mess with....do you mean like make some through holes larger? move a motor mount on the frame? Can I use the Sportster electronics/intake mani/etc?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlackHornet
THANKS for the insight!!! I knew for a fact that the XB engines wouldn't work because they were actually used as part of the frame. So when you say few things to mess with....do you mean like make some through holes larger? move a motor mount on the frame? Can I use the Sportster electronics/intake mani/etc?
Can't say as I've never done it myself. I've heard conflicting stuff about kickstand interference (I think that only applies to the 4-speeds) and then stuff like intake manifolds or exhaust flanges. That's just from sifting through posts over on XLF about swaps.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM
BlackHornet
Stage IV

im on XLF too and im doing a lot of reading over there. I sent out a few PMs but those members seem to not have logged on in awhile and so I am not sure if they will ever respond. I will keep on looking though. Thanks for the help! if anymore knowledge is found, please drop in and share!