Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock-It Shift - Thoughts & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts
Default Rock-It Shift - Thoughts & Pics

Buz, of Rock-It Shift, sent me a prototype of his Rock-It Shift to test and all he asked was I give an honest review.

I installed it. Took some pics, and then went for a ride.

I've been so busy, I actually did not think about if I would like it or not. I had promised Buz I would try it, and it had been over a month, so I was just getting it done to fulfill my promise to him.

WOW! I really, really like it. It is super comfortable to shift. Can definitely shift faster. It is intuitive. Shifting feels much smoother. I am leaving it on the bike! (which I was not planning on doing)

It is a good looking piece of equipment. Made in The USA.

I was really surprised how different (better) it was shifting this way. Would have never guessed it could make such an improvement, or that any improvement was even needed.

Besides Sportys, I ride FLH models also. They have heel shifters. I rarely use them. This is an entirely different experience.

He has not started production yet, or set a price, but I imagine it will Not be a low cost mod.

At, let's say, $200, it would not be a mod that would be in the realm of my seriously considering it...UNLESS I rode a bike with one. Now that I have, I really don't think I want to own a Forward Control Sporty without one.

Here are the pics-

Of course, now that I've decided to keep it on the bike, I will be swapping out the rubber shift pegs with some Trap Style Shift Pegs.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey 'Kev!

First, that's a sweet looking '48 you got there!

'Not a fan of the heal shifter but it looks good, with the exception of all the threaded holes, which I understand are to make it adjustable & nice and comfy for the user, but with the characteristics of aluminum being that which they are, those extra threaded holes, unless blocked off with some kinda' rubber or plastic thing-a-muh-jig, would quickly become a haven for moisture and debris, and before you knew it, corrosion would take hold and extend outwards to continue working on the rest of the finish, making it look el crappo grande!

Maybe instead of threaded holes into the main structure of bare aluminum he could go with straight through holes dimensioned to allow standard size hardware through a powder coated main structure to eliminate any of the possible aforementioned issues? The part would look real nice in gloss black powdercoat to match the bikes factory frame, with lets say some polished stainless steel hardware to add a nice touch...

Just spit ballin' here ;^)

'Hope you're well.

=8^)

Old 08-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Yogie
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd like to try something like that on my bike. I've noticed when wearing my paratrooper boots ( 8 1/2 ) that I need to have my heel up on the peg when shifting but while wearing regular shoes I'm okay... I can see a place for this on the market ;o)
Very nice pictures of your bike Kevin.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 AM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id be interested as well for sure. Sounds cool.

Are you going to be helping him sell it, Kevin? Or is it just going to be available through him?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:32 AM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmm.........I'm trying to see how it might look with Brass pegs on it (hint-hint)

Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm kinda intrigued by this. I'm sitting in the office rocking my foot back and forwards to try and imagine how it would feel as it looks pretty odd to me! I cant imagine changing gear like that? Mind you even if it works well, as I suspect it does, I don't think it would be for me as it makes it look a bit cluttered? Maybe in black...

Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Andy Arocho
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with drewbone, the threaded holes would probably need covered. it would defiantly be interesting to try it out.

any idea on the price point when they start production?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Personally I like it. Would be a nice upgrade for my 2013 1200C with OEM forward controls. I've the heel/toe on my UC2006 and love it.

And yea, I shopped a while for boots that I use with my 1200C that have the extra toe protector sown on the top of the boots where it contacts the toe lever so my boots don't get wrecked. Don't mind age on my boots but toe shifters ruin boots and that ain't no joke.

In the $189.00 to $200.00 range I'd be in. Bet if feels natural and works super!

When will this item go into production?

AND nice bike Kevin! Great pics too...

Thanks!

Last edited by GMRO; 08-04-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the steel aluminum/machined/mechanical look......very unique and looks very nice. I agree w/ GMRO - at the $185 to $200 range I'd be in and try it out for sure.

It would actually be nice if he made a matching brake pedal/lever for the right side as an option to match.

Last edited by sroc3; 08-04-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
I'm kinda intrigued by this. I'm sitting in the office rocking my foot back and forwards to try and imagine how it would feel as it looks pretty odd to me! I cant imagine changing gear like that? Mind you even if it works well, as I suspect it does, I don't think it would be for me as it makes it look a bit cluttered? Maybe in black...
It's actually quite easy to get the hang of - my 2005 Suzuki 'Fake-Harley-Fatboy' Intruder (sic) had one - and floor boards.

I much prefer the traditional shifter with the forwards on my current bike though.

Quick Reply: Rock-It Shift - Thoughts & Pics