Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike sputters and dies at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:42 PM
aharper2
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike sputters and dies at high rpm

So I bought a 2001 xl883 hugger about a week ago with a kuryakyn air intake and definitely modified pipes (not exactly sure what). I rode it for about 150 miles without any issue whatsoever. The problems started about 4 days after I bought the bike. I was running out of gas so i filled it up with 87 (looking back i should have put premium i suppose) and the next day the bike started to sputter and lose power and die when I hit higher rpms in any gear. I pulled over and started her right back up, drove two blocks and died again. pulled over again, started her back up and two blocks later died again. pulled over, waited half an hour, started her up and drove all the way home (3 miles) no problem at all (however i was being very easy on the throttle)

I pulled the spark plugs and they looked a little fouled so I changed them as well as cleaned the air filter.
The bike idles fine and will never die while idling.
I tested the ignition coil and both the primary and secondary coils were within specs to the best of my knowledge (~4.2 ohms and 12.3K ohms)
I let the bike warm up and I tested the ignition coil again and got very similar values.

Looking back at it the issues began right when I put in new gas which makes me think that it was bad gas or it is tuned for premium. However this could just be a coincidence.

I checked the vacuum line from the petcock and it looks a little cracked and worn so I am going to put in new vacuum lines today. I drained the gas tank and put in premium (91) too and will see if that makes a difference.

Any ideas as to what else could be causing this issue?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Bike sputters and dies at high rpm

Could have clogged the jets. Try dumping some seafoam in your tank and running that for a couple days as if that helps.