Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a 7" headlight on your sporty? Please share

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Using a 7" headlight on your sporty? Please share

I know this has been posted somewhere but can't seem to find any specific information.

I am looking at a couple of local suppliers locally but if can't find one, need to order online. Looking for a 7" chrome bottom-mount headlight one that uses a H4 (not a sealed lamp). Will be changing the H4 bulb with a LED bulb with integrated ballast.

I just installed a batwing fairing and need to change my aftermarket headlight to a larger one since my aftermarket headlight is smaller than stock. If you replaced your headlight to a larger 7" headlight, please share pics and let me know where to get one.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by hscic; 11-06-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I know this has been posted somewhere but can't seem to find any specific information.

I am looking at a couple of local suppliers locally but if can't find one, need to order online. Looking for a 7" chrome bottom-mount headlight one that uses a H4 (not a sealed lamp). Will be changing the H4 bulb with a LED bulb with integrated ballast.

I just installed a batwing fairing and need to change my aftermarket headlight to a larger one since my aftermarket headlight is smaller than stock. If you replaced your headlight to a larger 7" headlight, please share pics and let me know where to get one.

Thank you for your help!
You just need to get an aftermarket Fat Boy bucket. You can get them off eBay for around $60.00. I'm sure most any shop will have them as well, for a few more bucks. But just call your local aftermarket stores for a Fat Boy bucket to get prices.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:04 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks panhead. I saw those. Is the lamp universal...meaning any round 7" lamp will fit?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 PM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Drag Specialties makes a complete 7" Fatboy headlamp assembly that would work. Even comes with the mounting block. I'll be installing one on my Low over the winter.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by saddleupmc
Drag Specialties makes a complete 7" Fatboy headlamp assembly that would work. Even comes with the mounting block. I'll be installing one on my Low over the winter.
Do you have a link to that headlight? I think I know which one you are looking at. Does that have a sealed lamp where you have to change the lamp when it goes out? I am looking for a lamp that I can replace the H4 bulb to LED. Thanks

Last edited by hscic; 11-06-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Here is what I found and thinking it would work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-CHROME-HEA...tePSzw&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Halogen-He...3D231635438400

The only thing I can't tell is if the bucket is bottom-mounted which I need since I have DK Customs headlight relocation kit.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:47 PM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have a link to that headlight? I think I know which one you are looking at. Does that have a sealed lamp where you have to change the lamp when it goes out? I am looking for a lamp that I can replace the H4 bulb to LED. Thanks

I'm in Canada so Drag is distributed through Parts Canada. Here is a link to their catalogue. Bulb is replaceable.

Page 707, http://www.partscanada.com/app/webro...atbook/en/#706

Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by saddleupmc
I'm in Canada so Drag is distributed through Parts Canada. Here is a link to their catalogue. Bulb is replaceable.

Page 707, http://www.partscanada.com/app/webro...atbook/en/#706
Thanks for the link

Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks to all who responded.

Bought this 7" chrome bottom mounted headlight from J&P Cycles with replaceable bulb (not a sealed lamp) so I am able to change to LED:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100...&totalResult=1

Old 11-08-2015, 12:26 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks to all who responded.

Bought this 7" chrome bottom mounted headlight from J&P Cycles with replaceable bulb (not a sealed lamp) so I am able to change to LED:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100...&totalResult=1
Are you buying a sealed unit LED headlight to go in there? Like a day maker, or a truck light? If you're just using an LED bulb with the reflector that comes with a bucket you need to be real careful about that. Those LED bulbs are typically real bright. And there's no telling what the reflector will do to the light pattern. So you may find yourself blinding oncoming traffic. The phase 7 truck lights can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay these days. I put them in three bikes already, and the last one only cost me $165. It's definitely a great investment in my opinion! The sealed unit LED headlights typically have a cut off line. I know some people are of the opinion of not caring about oncoming traffic. Personally I care a great deal about oncoming traffic, especially if they come into my lane because they're blinded by my headlight.

Quick Reply: Using a 7" headlight on your sporty? Please share