Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the plugs off of the control wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Kyle Rogers
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting the plugs off of the control wires

I removed the plugs from my control wires to change handlebars. I knew with Harley Davidson's there was a way to re-move the plugs and put them back on.

I couldn't believe the lack of instructions online. There are even youtube videos about how to do it and the person in the video doesn't even know himself.

After two trips to the store looking for different things to try, I finally got it to work.

You have to insert something hook shaped into one of the two holes on the front of the plug. The ones in the middle. The entire piece of plastic raises up and less of the metal pins are exposed.

Then you have to take them out one by one, using the tiny hole next to each pin. I tried everything I could find in my house. Needles, pins, tiny nails, small paper clips. The only thing that worked was ACCO Jumbo paper clips from walmart. That worked like a charm.

Most of the stuff I found online said "I tried and tried and eventually just pulled the wires out by force."

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

I can't tell what type of connector those are because of crappy pictures (think maybe deutsch), however every single plug is shown in the back of the service manual with how to disassemble and depin them.

Instructions are all over the internet by searching "______ connector disassembly" with you just having to type in deutsch/amp/molex/etc.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Kyle Rogers
Intermediate

Are you talking about the service manual from Harley? I'll have to look into that. I have the Clymer manual.

Maybe I used the wrong search term. But all I found was a huge amount of very vague "stick something in those holes" and "I couldn't get it to work and ripped the wires out by force."

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I can't tell what type of connector those are because of crappy pictures (think maybe deutsch), however every single plug is shown in the back of the service manual with how to disassemble and depin them.

Instructions are all over the internet by searching "______ connector disassembly" with you just having to type in deutsch/amp/molex/etc.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Kyle Rogers
Intermediate

I pulled up a PDF of a sportster service manual. The instructions are very detailed. The plugs I just did are molex ones. They show a special tool.

Mimicking that special tool is the hard part. I tried everything I could find in my house and nothing worked.

Looks like Harley charges a whopping $45 for the tool. There are copycats on ebay for $15.

At least I saved some money by finding a type of paperclip that worked.

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl

Old 12-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Rogers
I pulled up a PDF of a sportster service manual. The instructions are very detailed. The plugs I just did are molex ones. They show a special tool.

Mimicking that special tool is the hard part. I tried everything I could find in my house and nothing worked.

Looks like Harley charges a whopping $45 for the tool. There are copycats on ebay for $15.

At least I saved some money by finding a type of paperclip that worked.
Yeah, the manual is nice at telling you how to disassemble them. I too use random objects. For many plugs I use a set of dental picks, and sometimes fishing swivels or paperclips. Whatever works!