Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More brake lighting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 AM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More brake lighting!

Ordered the HD wiring kit that converts the two rear turn signals to 'running' and 'brake lights' while still working as turn signals for my 2009 1200L. Now I've been told I might need to increase the brake circuit wire size and fuse to carry the increased load.

Wouldn't HD mention that in the ordering process if it were going to be necessary? That definitely takes it out of the 'Plug-n-Play' category if true.

Oh well, anyone here know for sure. I can see a slight load increase in running and brake light circuit, but WOW, really enough to cause wiring and fuse issues?

Thanks and regards, Joe.

PS: The kit includes the required 'snap on' red lenses to replace the amber ones on the turn signal lights.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I modified my saddlebag 2-wire single element LED lights to DK Customs RBT module and did not need a load equalizer, but I retained my stock rear turn signal.

I am planning to install an engine guard running light and asked DK Customs if I needed to run a load equalizer. This is the response.
  • If you have a 2014 or later, you do NOT need a load equalizer.
  • If you have a 2013 or earlier, & are running the stock rear turn signals, you do Not need a load equalizer.
  • If you have a 2013 or earlier, & you're running LED rear turn signals, but keep the stock front turn signals, you do NOT need a load equalizer.
  • The Only time you need a load equalizer is if you have a 2013 or earlier, And have LED turn signals up front and in back, and do not keep any of the stock turn signals, then you will need a load equalizer.
My interpretation of the above statements is as long as you retain either front or back stock turn signal, you do not need a load equalizer. I retained both my stock turn signals and only adding more lighting so based on the above, I do not need a load equalizer when I install my front LED running lights.

Suggest you inquire with DK Customs if you need one...they will have whatever you need including a load equalizer if need. But IMO based on the instructions, if you still have your front turn signals, a load equalizer is not needed.

Last edited by hscic; 01-24-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:14 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Welcome from NC.

hscic, I don't think the OP is referring to an LED light but the harness to convert his back turns to run-brake-turn. No need for anything else. I have that same plug-n-play harness on both bikes. Works great.

Last edited by RKZen; 01-24-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

The so called wiring expert you're referring to install the HD kit on any bike(s)? I say, follow the instructions, install the kit and enjoy. It'll work fine w/o any mods...you're not drawing that much power through those lighting wires to impact integrity.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpinjoe313
Ordered the HD wiring kit that converts the two rear turn signals to 'running' and 'brake lights' while still working as turn signals for my 2009 1200L. Now I've been told I might need to increase the brake circuit wire size and fuse to carry the increased load.

Wouldn't HD mention that in the ordering process if it were going to be necessary? That definitely takes it out of the 'Plug-n-Play' category if true.

Oh well, anyone here know for sure. I can see a slight load increase in running and brake light circuit, but WOW, really enough to cause wiring and fuse issues?

Thanks and regards, Joe.

PS: The kit includes the required 'snap on' red lenses to replace the amber ones on the turn signal lights.
i did custom dynamics all around
i lowered my current draw via LED, my front turn signals are as bright as running lights, my rears are now run/brake/turn (cd triple play), and my rears are easily way brighter than stock. all plug-n-play

i'd ditch/return the ordered part... and call Shilo @ Ridethelite.com 754-367-5596

Last edited by cvaria; 01-24-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced

Thanks to all. I was hoping it was a simple 'P-n-P' since I wasn't intending to replace anything with LED's at the moment. Maybe in the future, but for right now I just wanted to gain all the 'brake' lighting available.

Dang, I see so many folks coming up to traffic lights, etc with their heads stuck looking down at their damned smart phones and not paying attention. I figured an extra brake light or two might not be a bad thing.

Regards, Joe.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:50 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks to all. I was hoping it was a simple 'P-n-P' since I wasn't intending to replace anything with LED's at the moment. Maybe in the future, but for right now I just wanted to gain all the 'brake' lighting available.

Dang, I see so many folks coming up to traffic lights, etc with their heads stuck looking down at their damned smart phones and not paying attention. I figured an extra brake light or two might not be a bad thing.

Regards, Joe.

I presume you're talking about the 69463-06B auxiliary run/turn/brake kit? Plug it in, change out the rear lenses, and go riding; you'll be just fine. I've installed that kit on several Sportsters... no worries

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-25-2016, 08:02 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Regards, Joe.
yeah, try to position yourself with an out (lane position 1[pref] or 3)*, never directly behind a car's bumper or in the center of the lane. lets you slide between lanes if needed and keeps you from getting smashed between cars.

ride safe

Old 01-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

If you really want people to notice you, get those flashing brake lights that flash quicker when decelerating at a higher rate.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dane M
If you really want people to notice you, get those flashing brake lights that flash quicker when decelerating at a higher rate.
Yeh, I'm aware of them but have never looked for where to buy them. And I'll have to ensure they're legal in Florida. Anybody know either answer?

Thanks and regards, Joe.

Quick Reply: More brake lighting!