Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Need advice on cables (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1106151-need-advice-on-cables.html)

c.d.lawns@hotmail.com 03-23-2016 06:26 PM

Need advice on cables

First i have a 2012 iron 883.

I am looking at buying the licks 12 inch Fatty Aped Z's - Stepped-Black Powdercoated or
Licks 10" Aped Z Bars-Indented-Black Powdercoated.

I contacted Burly brand to buy their sportster cable kit to extend all cables to fit the 12 inch z bars. Burly email me and stated they will not fit z bars. Anyone have any ideas on a kit that will or if the burly brand really will fit?

drinktothat421 03-23-2016 06:42 PM

you may just need a new brake line. i have a 6 inch zbar. and all my wires are fine, the stock throttle cable is very long. the 12 inch im not sure.

Iarecobra 03-23-2016 08:55 PM

In my opinion. The burly kit would probably work. There kit is designed so the electrical wires are internally wired. And it's generally not a good idea to internally wire Z bars. They were probably just trying to cover there own asses.

c.d.lawns@hotmail.com 03-23-2016 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Iarecobra (Post 14970798)
In my opinion. The burly kit would probably work. There kit is designed so the electrical wires are internally wired. And it's generally not a good idea to internally wire Z bars. They were probably just trying to cover there own asses.

why are z bars not a good idea to do internal wiring?

Justin Lynn 03-23-2016 10:24 PM

It would just be a pain in the ass. I internally wired my bars and it wasn't that hard, but my bars have removable end caps on the bars to aid in making the wires turn corners.
here's a link if you're interested.
Road 6 Customs 10" Apes

For your cables, you should check out Magnum Shielding

I used a 48" 46848SW brake line

If you decide not to internally wire, you probably already have enough wiring stuffed up under that tank that you won't need to worry about that part.

c.d.lawns@hotmail.com 03-23-2016 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Lynn (Post 14971005)
It would just be a pain in the ass. I internally wired my bars and it wasn't that hard, but my bars have removable end caps on the bars to aid in making the wires turn corners.
here's a link if you're interested.
Road 6 Customs 10" Apes

For your cables, you should check out Magnum Shielding

If you decide not to internally wire, you probably already have enough wiring stuffed up under that tank that you won't need to worry about that part.

everything i have read said you only have to replace the brake line for 10 inch. I will prob be running external wires bc of all the projects i am doing on the bike. Any ideal what size brake line i would need?

Justin Lynn 03-23-2016 11:08 PM

I used a 48" brake line for my 10" apes. It should be long enough for 12" apes if I were to ever change mine.

c.d.lawns@hotmail.com 03-24-2016 09:40 AM

10 inch is sounding better

Iarecobra 03-24-2016 01:48 PM

The theory is.....with the sharp bends on Z bars you have a greater risk of rubbing or breaking the wires and causing a short.

c.d.lawns@hotmail.com 03-24-2016 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Iarecobra (Post 14972845)
The theory is.....with the sharp bends on Z bars you have a greater risk of rubbing or breaking the wires and causing a short.

i can see that. I guess i am going with 10 inch bars. I am going to try to find a brake cable. I have read and been told for 10 inch z bars you only need to replace brake cable.