Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle loss while riding and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Will Concho
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle loss while riding and wont start

I own a 2016 Iron 883. I purchased it back in Oct 2015. I hit the 1000 mile mark and got my bike serviced in Dec15/January 2016 with the service plan I also bought from them at the point of sale. During this time in which my HD dealer installed a new set of vance and hines 2 into 1 comp exhaust and a roland sands air cleaner with a screaming eagle tuner and tune on the dyno.

Today I was riding down the highway on 5th gear and giving it throttle when all of sudden the throttle just went. Id give it full throttle but actually wouldnt respond, saw the speedometer trickle down, and felt and heard the bike differently. I found myself pulling over and saw the oil light come up. Luckily I was able to start up the bike again and got myself off the turnpike but still had the same issue. Oil light came one and intermittent check engine light. I checked the oil level and it was beyond low. I could see into the oil tanks entry port. I managed to get myself to a motorcycle shop to top it of with some full synthetic oil to no avail. Thinking maybe it was a leak but I havent seen any oil draining on my garage floor. It was still idling at 1600 rpm with sounds of sputters and hiccups coming from the engine and exhaust. I ended up driving it down the road trying to make it back home when it completely stalled out on me, both engine and oil light came up plus the center red light from the speedometer. I was able to walk it to a safe location where I got it towed and it no longer turned on. All the lights turned on, it would click over and over, but never actually start up again.

I bring it into the HD dealer and the guy from the service department takes his walk around and asks if they did the ignition relocation to which I answered "no". I have a DK customs products tank lift, with f6 key relocation. I'm just hoping that they dont try to link an issue with an oil tank to an ignition location.

Does anyone know what this can be?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Bro, it sounds bad and expensive. Lubrication system failure and seized engine? It still has the factory warranty, right?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

EFI bikes need a good battery and connections to run. Some EFI bikes will buck, sputter, and stop running because of battery problems.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:42 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Concho
I own a 2016 Iron 883. I purchased it back in Oct 2015. I hit the 1000 mile mark and got my bike serviced in Dec15/January 2016 with the service plan I also bought from them at the point of sale. During this time in which my HD dealer installed a new set of vance and hines 2 into 1 comp exhaust and a roland sands air cleaner with a screaming eagle tuner and tune on the dyno.
saved your a**

Today I was riding down the highway on 5th gear and giving it throttle when all of sudden the throttle just went. Id give it full throttle but actually wouldnt respond, saw the speedometer trickle down, and felt and heard the bike differently. I found myself pulling over and saw the oil light come up. Luckily I was able to start up the bike again and got myself off the turnpike but still had the same issue. Oil light came one and intermittent check engine light. I checked the oil level and it was beyond low. I could see into the oil tanks entry port. I managed to get myself to a motorcycle shop to top it of with some full synthetic oil to no avail. Thinking maybe it was a leak but I havent seen any oil draining on my garage floor. It was still idling at 1600 rpm with sounds of sputters and hiccups coming from the engine and exhaust. I ended up driving it down the road trying to make it back home when it completely stalled out on me, both engine and oil light came up plus the center red light from the speedometer. I was able to walk it to a safe location where I got it towed and it no longer turned on. All the lights turned on, it would click over and over, but never actually start up again.
I bring it into the A. HD dealer and the guy from the service department takes his walk around and asks if they did the [B.] ignition relocation to which I answered "no".

B. I have a DK customs products tank lift [excused], with f6 key relocation. I'm just hoping that they dont try to link an issue with an oil tank to an ignition location.
A. may try to d/q or pull a void. totally unrelated.

B. For what? why? no good excuse... moving on

C. there's so much fear based fail in the first paragraph. luckily it was serviced at the dealer. they may just grant you a new engine. i hope they do.

no idea what happened. you probably should have stop trying to ride it long before the fat lady sung. doesn't your warranty include a hail mary tow?

Last edited by cvaria; 04-15-2016 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Will Concho (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Will Concho
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Bro, it sounds bad and expensive. Lubrication system failure and seized engine? It still has the factory warranty, right?
Dude I just hope they dont tell me I voided the warranty for a ignition coil and f6 relocation I did myself. Fingers crossed

Old 04-16-2016, 12:16 AM
Troops141
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude I just hope they dont tell me I voided the warranty for a ignition coil and f6 relocation I did myself. Fingers crossed
They shouldn't, unless something that you did caused the issue..Then it'll be a different story. As long as you didn't mess with any oil lines or anything else that could have caused what you described, you'll be fine.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I strongly suggest you lookup the "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act", google it.

The short: In order to deny your warranty claim because of your modifications, the dealer must prove that your modification caused the problem your making a claim for.

FYI - The same act also says that if a dealer requires to use only there brand supplies (like oil) in your vehicle, the dealer must supply it for free.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:18 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Do you have a power commander 5 installed as a fuel management tool