Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 sportster 883

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:04 PM
sirenalx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 sportster 883 shifting issue.

Ok, just a run up here. More than basic wrencher. First Harley, and finding that it and suppliers don't like me. Third owner so I don't know the total history. Shifted great, good hard "thunk" while shifting. Found the chain tensioner was installed improperly and had to get a new cover, gasket kit, tensioner, etc....
Back together, but there seems to be a bit of play on the shifter now. All adjusted to the FSM. But up shifting and down shifting, I have to move the shift lever about 1/4" either up when going down, or down when going up to get it to firm up play in shift lever to shift. I didn't lube the shift gaskets on the new primary cover.
Should I lightly sand the shift lever with 1000 grit wet paper and tranny fluid, and lube the inside of the gasket? Or What? I do not believe spring is broken. All adjustments are to FSM and work fine, except for this 1/4" return b.s. BTW sometimes it works just fine.
And the hard thunk!, is that normal?

Last edited by sirenalx; 05-18-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: forgot wording.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:02 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by sirenalx
Ok, just a run up here. More than basic wrencher. First Harley, and finding that it and suppliers don't like me. Third owner so I don't know the total history. Shifted great, good hard "thunk" while shifting. Found the chain tensioner was installed improperly and had to get a new cover, gasket kit, tensioner, etc....
Back together, but there seems to be a bit of play on the shifter now. All adjusted to the FSM. But up shifting and down shifting, I have to move the shift lever about 1/4" either up when going down, or down when going up to get it to firm up play in shift lever to shift. I didn't lube the shift gaskets on the new primary cover.
Should I lightly sand the shift lever with 1000 grit wet paper and tranny fluid, and lube the inside of the gasket? Or What? I do not believe spring is broken. All adjustments are to FSM and work fine, except for this 1/4" return b.s. BTW sometimes it works just fine.
And the hard thunk!, is that normal?
  • thunk is normal.
  • sand nothing. put that 1000 grit away.

just remove the shift lever (process the same for mids and forwards only differing in the shift lever on forwards being positioned differently due to the pedal linkage) and adjust it to sit lower or higher in the splines to your liking.

ride and enjoy

Last edited by cvaria; 05-18-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

"finding that it and suppliers don't like me" We luv ya!

Just be really nice! It ain't difficult. Welcome to HDF from the UK. We can fix most things in here.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 PM
sirenalx
6th Gear

Already adjusted shift lever to proper position i believe, or at least where i like it for my foot. Mid controls by the way. I have adjusted the whole set including the cable as per FSM, just return going up or down doesn't seem right. That 1/4" is making me P.O.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:50 PM
sirenalx
6th Gear

still need some help here? Any ideas?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:44 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by sirenalx
still need some help here? Any ideas?
doesn't seem to be an issue. you just want shorter travel in the shifter. maybe Madnss can help you.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...00-madnss.html ask him

Old 05-22-2016, 02:05 PM
sirenalx
6th Gear

No Cvaria its not the travel play. When cold last night after 3 min of warm up, shifter worked great. Solid shift up and down.
30 min later, I shift up, then go to shift up again and it wont shift unless I push down 1/4 to 1/2" on the pedal, it firms up, then I can shift. Same when going down(except I have to pull up same amount). Doesn't matter what gear. Return on shifter shaft/pedal is not doing what it should........Stayed that way after 30 miles of riding around town.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 03:11 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the shifter pawl or return spring, doesn't sound broken or it would not work at all but might be 1-bent, 2-gunked up, 3-spring has gotten too weak or 4-shifter shaft is bent.
Did your bike fall over or get hit on the left side lately?
You will probably have to remove the primary cover and investigate, do you have a service manual?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 to what Hotlap said...Sounds more like an internal ****le with the Tranny. There are adjustments you can do to the tranny to have the shifter sit in a mid position (well at least you can on my 86 FXR).

Either way you may need to pop the tranny and have a look inside.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:55 PM
sirenalx
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies!
No I have not dropped the bike. Previous owner said that it fell over. Scuff marks on left side control but not like it was sliding down the street if you get the idea. Again, shifted great when I bought it, could not adjust chain and found it messed up. I installed a new primary cover , tensioner and etc....
Adjusted to Factory Service Manual(FSM), (yes I have it). I am just trying to pic the brains of the experts here before I dig into the shifter shaft, return spring, and the rest of that nightmare. Runs great. Starts out after 3 to 5 min of idle shifting like it should(or should I say a Honda), then when warmed up, I have that slack, like it is not returning back to center. Runs like a bat out of hell, wondering why I messed around with Hondas but u gotta learn on something right? Could be because of not greasing gaskets, or more of spring or bent shaft? I think grease or spring worn. BTW..... less than 9000 miles.
Clutch super firm and hard thunk to boot.

Quick Reply: 2007 sportster 883