Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Ignition Fuse Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Bill Whitmire
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Ignition Fuse Blowing

Hi everyone. I'm Bill from Chicago and this is my first post. I've been lurking and reading this forum for a while as I've been rebuilding my 2009 Nightster over the winter. Thank you all for the lively and informative forum!

This is my first post because I have a problem that I can't figure out and need some guidance and opinions. I'm very thankful for your help.

So as I mentioned, I have a 2009 Nightster with 4k miles on it. It was running fantastic until I started doing all kinds of crap to it over the winter... go figure.

Bobbed it out of course. New everything: signals, headlamp (LED), brake light, loud *** horn, speedo relocation, new handlebars (mini apes).

The problem I'm having is when I hit the start button, she blows the main 30 amp fuse. So I'm going to list the steps I've taken to troubleshoot / resolve it and then what I THINK may be going on at this point.

I read that it's usually a short, especially in the hand controls when you put new bars on. I have checked this SO thoroughly. My buddy came by (he's way better at electrical) with a meter and we checked EVERYTHING, disconnected it all, etc. and it still blew. We could NOT find a short or pinched wires anywhere. So we ruled that out.

The fuse block was a little corroded with mineral deposits so we cleaned the crap out of that and put di-electric grease on everything but still had a problem. At first I thought maybe the main fuse block needed to be replaced because I swear one time I was "jiggling" the fuse around in it and power was going off/on... but... I don't think so much now.

It'll be fine for a few days, then I'll park it and it won't start again (leaving me stranded in the worst places).

So here's what I THINK could be going on.

When it dies, and I try to push start it (which I'm never successful at doing), it seems like it unjams something and then I put another fuse in it and it's good. It also seemed a couple times like the clutch was stuck because I pulled the clutch (left hand lever) and it would not roll very easily).

So here's where's it's really important to note that during the time I was replacing my handlebars, we extended the clutch cable and a little piece in the primary case got lost so we had to take the primary case off to fish it out. When we were putting it back on, it wouldn't go on (because the chain adjuster was in the way) so I man handled that **** until it did. Yes, I'm dumb. We were drinking. I later learn that bike won't start because I jacked the primary chain up. Bent it up. I replaced that later and all was good. But I'm wondering now if something is still screwed up in there (bent tooth, etc.) and that's why my starter won't turn it over and fuses are blowing?

I'm going to take the case off... but I just wanted to start getting some opinions on the matter. Have you seen this before?

Sorry for the novel. Very thankful for some advice. Thank you thank you.

Last edited by Bill Whitmire; 07-07-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:54 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

maybe the starter is getting stuck ---not disengaging and its over heating an poppin the fuse ? that would be the unstuck sound possibly ? like the starter clutch assembly isnt working like it should , not sure but thats a guess from me ..

thats only because u said all the wires test ok

if your chain isnt adjusted correct it will put alot of stress on all the moving parts and could also be the problem

The following users liked this post:
Bill Whitmire (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

IMHO, it sounds like the starter is not fully engaging, or something is binding. I'd suggest;
- drain the primary, and pull the primary cover
- remove the spark plugs
- have your friend, without the aid of beer, engage the start button, while you examine the primary. Keep your hands in your pockets!! See if the starter gear fully engages and the primary chain drives the compensator sprocket smoothly.