Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about spring seat on 48... Comfy??

Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM
weever82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about spring seat on 48... Comfy??

Looking at getting rid of the factory 48 seat on my 15' and thinking about a solo spring seat. Look super cool but wondering if they are comfortable to ride 50+ miles.

I have a semi crappy back and the factory seat tears me up after 20 miles or so. Hoping maybe the spring seat is more comfortable or maybe it's just for looks. Hoping to hear some opinions on people that have rode them.

Also does it raise the seat height alot? I am a short dude.

Thanks guys for reading!

Weev-

Old 07-16-2016, 06:03 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

Seat height would be raised 1-2" max. Springer seats are ok I guess. Just rode one the other day. I prefer stock seat over springer.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by weever82
Looking at getting rid of the factory 48 seat on my 15' and thinking about a solo spring seat. Look super cool but wondering if they are comfortable to ride 50+ miles.

I have a semi crappy back and the factory seat tears me up after 20 miles or so. Hoping maybe the spring seat is more comfortable or maybe it's just for looks. Hoping to hear some opinions on people that have rode them.

Thanks guys for reading!

Weev-
So... Call me lazy... I just copied and pasted this from another thread I posted in about a week ago.
No since typing the same info all over again!

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
I'm riding my second Sportster in 2 years. (I'll be keeping this one!)

The first was a 1200 Custom with a Sundowner seat.
The seat was kinda ugly but the ride was fairly comfy.
I could ride it ALL DAY LONG NONSTOP and frequently did.

My 72 has an HD springer solo and standard shocks and it is every bit as comfortable as the Custom with the Sundowner touring seat.

Springer seats are surprisingly comfortable.
I stand 6' and weigh 180lbs.
I am completely flat footed with plenty of room to spare.
Not much difference in height depending on the seat...
Here is a pic...

Old 07-16-2016, 10:25 PM
siik2nr
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a spring seat on mine and as far as comfort, anything is better than stock. There are 2" and 3" springs. 3" is more sloshy but more comfortable. I use a 2" spring and it's a little better than stock. Height is increased by 1" with the 2" spring.
As for long distance, it depends on the spring seat. Some are padded and some are straight leather on a metal plate. Padded is obviously more comfortable.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:21 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I doubt it will improve your back issues. You will still be limited to sitting in one basic position for your entire ride. Consider a flat double seat where you can slide back and forward for different riding positions. Maybe not as good to look at, but helps on longer rides.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:19 AM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

Biltwell has some pretty cool flat seat designs.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:00 PM
weever82
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
I doubt it will improve your back issues. You will still be limited to sitting in one basic position for your entire ride. Consider a flat double seat where you can slide back and forward for different riding positions. Maybe not as good to look at, but helps on longer rides.
Thats a good idea too... So I can "stretch" around on it.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM
weever82
Advanced

Originally Posted by siik2nr
I have a spring seat on mine and as far as comfort, anything is better than stock. There are 2" and 3" springs. 3" is more sloshy but more comfortable. I use a 2" spring and it's a little better than stock. Height is increased by 1" with the 2" spring.
As for long distance, it depends on the spring seat. Some are padded and some are straight leather on a metal plate. Padded is obviously more comfortable.
Didn't realize their is two sizes of springs. Thanks for the heads up. Looks killer on your bike.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:47 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by weever82

Thanks guys for reading!

Weev-

A spring seat can be Much more comfortable than a traditional seat.

The scissor springs seats are ok, but not nearly the improvement that can be had in riding comfort.

The shock spring seats and the barrel spring seats add a lot of cush to the ride, especially on a Sporty.

A few years ago I did a 1800 mile trip on the bike pictured below. I was more comfortable than most of the bagger guys I was riding with, and I was 55 years old at the time.

It has a bolt on solo seat system with shocks instead of scissor springs.

You can see details on it HERE.

It does not sit any higher than the stock seat.

I've also ridden quite a bit with a padded seat, using barrel springs. It sits just a bit higher than the stock seat, but is very comfortable, and has even more travel.

More pics and details HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Graptor (07-20-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

My wife's Forty Eight:

My wife's 48 has the Harley sprung seat.

It looks great and is surprisingly comfortable!

I was actually shocked at how comfortable the Harley sprung seat on the wife's Sporty is. We bought the bike with it in place already, I sat on a few with stock seats, while bike shopping. But, hadn't ridden them much.

It is hard, but comfortable. It has the regular scissor style springs. They work quite well, really. It's probably not as comfortable as some softer seats. But i have zero complaints and have really enjoyed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about spring seat on 48... Comfy??