Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Help me choose a windshield please! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1128249-help-me-choose-a-windshield-please.html)

WVDevil 07-25-2016 05:56 PM

Help me choose a windshield please!

OK, I think I'm going to break down and do it. I'm sick of being beat up at highway speeds so I'm going to get a windshield. I hate the look but the protection will sure be nice.

I'm thinking to get a Harley branded one, mostly because the quick-release clamps that remove without leaving anything on the bike is critical to me.

There seem to be a few choices for my bike, 2009 XL 1200 Low. What are you guys using that works well for you? I'm about 5'9" and my riding position is sitting upright.

Grateful for any advice!

Tom

GMRO 07-25-2016 06:39 PM

I went with the 14" Smoked HD Quick release since its not too tall.

I'm 5.10 and sit upright. Just enough shield to do the job at all speeds IMO.

Quick-Release Compact Windshield
Part Number 57802-11

Good Luck!

Guzzi 07-25-2016 08:00 PM

HD Quick Release system is great, the actual shield sucks.
It allows too much wind buffeting coming from down low.
Replaced the HD shield with a ClearView Shield with upper curve.
No buffeting at all.

grbrown 07-26-2016 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by wreckwriter (Post 15356381)
I'm thinking to get a Harley branded one, mostly because the quick-release clamps that remove without leaving anything on the bike is critical to me.

Tom, that's what I have on mine, the traditional egg-shaped one. In fact, having got used to riding with it, I only remove it to clean the bike, but that is really easy to do. Having ridden behind fairings and windshields since the '60s, just bear in mind that you get as much protection as the size of the shield - wind takes the shortest route around anything we put in it's way!

WVDevil 07-26-2016 08:29 AM

14" seems would be too short? Gotta get it right first time, too pricey!

Iceman24 07-26-2016 08:35 AM

Trade the Sporty for a Touring...problem solved...;) :D

Jackie Paper 07-26-2016 08:36 AM

Since you look over, get clear. It does not have that thin layer so easily damaged that shows more then a clear one (which is easy to damage enough)
The clear is a lot less noticeable on a full screen. Of course just my opinion...

WVDevil 07-26-2016 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by RIPSAW (Post 15357956)
Since you look over, get clear. It does not have that thin layer so easily damaged that shows more then a clear one (which is easy to damage enough)
The clear is a lot less noticeable on a full screen. Of course just my opinion...

Most are only available in light smoke. Would prefer clear.

grbrown 07-26-2016 08:49 AM

Light smoke is hardly visible, anyway on a black bike it will look real cool!

WVDevil 07-26-2016 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 15357994)
Light smoke is hardly visible, anyway on a black bike it will look real cool!

Yea, just gotta decide on height.