Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The rear tyre beat m but will i be able to change the front myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question The rear tyre beat m but will i be able to change the front myself?

No way I could change the rear tyre on my Iron, but I'm hoping I can do the front tyre myself. Has anyone changed their own front 19" tyre?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Front will be harder than the rear.......

The following users liked this post:
1HD4CJM1X4K (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
No way I could change the rear tyre on my Iron, but I'm hoping I can do the front tyre myself. Has anyone changed their own front 19" tyre?
Foreign brand and independent shops are usually cheaper than harley, under 50$ per tire with balance and the harley shops around here make you replace the tube whether it needs replacing or not (insurance forces them) they claim. Money well spent in my opinion. No damage to wheel and balance is important to me.

Last edited by misput; 08-24-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
There are those around HDF who change their own tyres, even buy themselves a proper tyre changing machine. Over here I wouldn't bother old chap. I order my Harley/Buell tyres at my local Yamaha dealer (they're in walking distance from home) and take the bare wheel in. They fit it in a jiffy, give me coffee while I wait and I thank them for being one of the best Harley people in the County! Easiest way by far, especially with tubeless tyres.

Mr_Taipan (08-27-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
jcramin
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Us sport bike riders change our own tires all the time. Very easy with the proper tools.

Soapy water for lubrication
Shovel to break the beads loose
A few tire irons
Something to protect the lip of the rims when using the tire irons
A few pieces of wood to put under the tire so the center hub doesn't get all scraped up on the ground.

Youtube some videos. It is really easy.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Agreed, front tires are worse than rears. Haven't done one by hand in a while, but I know they suck either way.

1HD4CJM1X4K (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:43 PM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have someone do it,not worth the hassle.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jcramin
Us sport bike riders change our own tires all the time. Very easy with the proper tools.

A few tire irons
A few pieces of wood to put under the tire so the center hub doesn't get all scraped up on the ground.

This is true in a lot of ways. But sport bike tires are way easier than Harley approved tires......Just putting that out there.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

My thoughts -

Fatter rears are easier to change than skinnier fronts - the skinny 21" on my 1200C was a pain even with a tire changer, tight stretch, not much room to get tools in.

I'd never re-use a tube. They're not that expensive, and I also only use metal valve stem types. Unless it's almost perfect, I get new rub strips, too, also inexpensive. Tubes tend to go flat almost instantly, and getting a flat at 60mph was more excitement than I ever want to have again.

Put short pieces of 2x4 or quart motor oil bottles in the tire for a day if you can, to expand them. Some have the sides really tight together, especially if they've been wrapped or taped, makes it harder to deal with. A few hours in the sun helps soften them, too, if they've been stored cool.

Don't forget talcum powder on the tubes, really helps sliding them in and positioning them without wrinkles.

19" front wheels are easy with the right tools...

It's a good time to check bearing condition and pop a seal to check for contamination and grease condition - a lot of today's bearings don't have near enough grease to satisfy me. That doesn't mean stuff them completely, but they should have some grease in the bearing cage, not just a barely detectable film on the *****. Any doubts about their condition, I replace them. And I never use hammers on a bearing. That's a new wheel in the pic; I cleaned a little surface rust inside, and found a crack across the butt weld that didn't show from outside on the original stock Harley rim. Pull that rub strip, clean and check inside the rim!

I don't use wheel weights, like dyna beads and plan to try RideOn next but I do position the tire on the rim where it's the least out of balance; I haven't seen a tire with that dot on it in a long time. Then stick on weights temporarily to see just much out of balance it is, and use about an ounce more dyna beads. Their weight per tire size chart is sometimes not enough for real out of balance tires, overkill for others.

I always use a torque wrench. And hate it when it's all together and I realize I forgot something....

Last edited by Imold; 08-26-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: photo url changed
The following 3 users liked this post by Imold:
artc (08-24-2016), Mr_Taipan (08-24-2016), TStephen (08-24-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jcramin

A few tire irons

Yup, that's exactly what I do normally, but the back wheel I just couldn't beat and even the tyre shop struggled to get it to seal!

Anyway, I did it and it was pretty easy really.

Quick Reply: The rear tyre beat m but will i be able to change the front myself?