Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
DanTheBetterMan
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust pressure

This morning I was looking my bike over while it was running and I happened to put my hand near the exhaust. I noticed that the exhaust pressure coming from the rear cylinder is noticeably less than that of the front cylinder. Is this normal? I would think they would have the same pressure unless something is wrong. My current exhaust set up is stock headers with aftermarket mufflers. The front cylinder's header was extended so that both mufflers would be aligned, which makes me wonder if this added length is causing the increase in pressure.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The only way I know of to determine if this is a real problem or a perceived problem is to do a compression test on both cylinders. They should be within 10% of each other.

The following users liked this post:
DanTheBetterMan (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Is it the Nightster? Is the balance tube still used?if so, sounds like the exhaust pulses are picking the route they leave by.
Not an engineer, so I won't venture any opinion on effects to the engine.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM
DanTheBetterMan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
The only way I know of to determine if this is a real problem or a perceived problem is to do a compression test on both cylinders. They should be within 10% of each other.
Thanks for the advise! I've never tested compression on a motorcycle engine, is the same as on a car? Unplug spark plugs, remove one spark plug, replace spark plug with compression tester, and crank?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM
DanTheBetterMan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
Is it the Nightster? Is the balance tube still used?if so, sounds like the exhaust pulses are picking the route they leave by.
Not an engineer, so I won't venture any opinion on effects to the engine.
It is a Nightster! I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say balance tube though. I've seem some sportsters that have a horizontal tube connecting both headers, is that it? If it is, then no, I don't have that anymore. I always thought that was just to hold them in place, does it do something else?

Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

The visible balance pipe was in earlier years, between the headers and visible. Later, like ours it was moved under the exhaust and incorporated the mounts for the mufflers.
Pics would help.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

This is a question that has been asked for decades! By all means check your compression, but don't be surprised if your bike is fine. Next time you see a Sporty owner, ask to compare puffs between your two bikes!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM
RedRanger7
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Need a 12mm adapter to do a compression test. Smallest most testers come with is 14mm.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheBetterMan
Thanks for the advise! I've never tested compression on a motorcycle engine, is the same as on a car? Unplug spark plugs, remove one spark plug, replace spark plug with compression tester, and crank?
Remove both spark plugs and open throttle wide open while testing each cylinder. Check with an expert but I think this is right. Does both cylinders sound the same?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 PM
DanTheBetterMan
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advise guys! Once I got home I took a closer look at the exhaust when I realized that there was a hole in the side of pipe! No wonder I thought I had heard an exhaust leak. The guy that sold me the motorcycle used rigid mounts without rubber (what a knuckle head!) to hold the pipes to the engine and the vibration finally got the best of them.

Quick Reply: Exhaust pressure