Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision new install

Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Power Vision new install

Hello all,
Just bought Power vision 5 tuner and want to know what experiences others have had.
Give the good, the bad and the ugly of installing, flashing, auto-tuning, results, more power, smoother, failures etc.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:51 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

most think ( me included ) the power vision is the best tuner option for Harley.

but i have a power commander 5.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:00 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Great tuner. Very user-friendly. Awesome support from Fuelmoto.

Just a few things to remember...when running autotune, your bike will run like crap until you load your new autotune. If you still have issues with the tune, send to Jamie to get it tweaked.

I use the gauge features so I keep the unit on the bike. The one thing that I don't like is my screen freezes or goes blank. Primary cause is interference from spark plug or coil wires or something electrical. Rerouted the wire three times and my screen still goes blank. So just be sure if leaving the unit on the bike, you keep the PV wire away from other wiring.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:09 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Hello all,
Just bought Power vision 5 tuner and want to know what experiences others have had.
Give the good, the bad and the ugly of installing, flashing, auto-tuning, results, more power, smoother, failures etc.
Did you geta power vision or a power commander V.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:13 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Great tuner. Very user-friendly. Awesome support from Fuelmoto.

Just a few things to remember...when running autotune, your bike will run like crap until you load your new autotune. If you still have issues with the tune, send to Jamie to get it tweaked.

I use the gauge features so I keep the unit on the bike. The one thing that I don't like is my screen freezes or goes blank. Primary cause is interference from spark plug or coil wires or something electrical. Rerouted the wire three times and my screen still goes blank. So just be sure if leaving the unit on the bike, you keep the PV wire away from other wiring.
Never had my screen go blank. First im hearing of it, guess no one mentions it. Would it go blank if you just ran the cable freely?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Great tuner but...just don't let it distract you while driving.

The following users liked this post:
DavidStiebel (09-06-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 11:38 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
Never had my screen go blank. First im hearing of it, guess no one mentions it. Would it go blank if you just ran the cable freely?
Apparently it is a common occurence. Asked about it on the PV sticky thread and via email to Jamie....the cause of this issue was interference. The solutions was to re-route the cable or update firmware. I intend to reinstall firmware next (although I had the current version when I bought the unit) since I rerouted three times and my cable is currently under my tank.

I ran the cable as freely as I could get it since my unit is mounted to my bars and cable length is an issue. Even wanted to route the cable long the frame but longer cable is not available.

Here is Jame's response... "screen freeze is not generally related to firmware however it is always a good idea to have a current version. In nearly every example we have found that it is related to RF interference due to the cable running near a coil, spark plug wire, or ignition source. Re-routing the cable will take care of this in most situations."

Tune runs fine....and the issue with the screen is just an irritation.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Some electronics geek should be able to fabricate you a longer cable. Do you know any avionics aircraft technicians, or some avionics shop?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Some electronics geek should be able to fabricate you a longer cable. Do you know any avionics aircraft technicians, or some avionics shop?
Wish I did have those connections...maybe I will ask my neighbors...a few of them are engineers (electrical, structural, civil). I also tried ferrite cable clip to reduce interference, but that did not work. Someone was wrapping the the cable in a protective material which may work.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

How about that small airport on the North Shore where they do skydiving or a similar type airport. Just walk into a shop during a ride and see.if.they can recommend someone. People in Hawaii are always looking for a way to make an extra honest dollar.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (09-04-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Vision new install