Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods for my sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:01 PM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default mods for my sportster

I made a thread earlier about my sportster becoming my winter project, which is as follows.

1. fix leaky push rod seals.
2. fix clutch
3. Take out transmission and see whats going on with it.
4. Sort out back wheel, its damaged inside from slime, so it needs refurb
5. Full service.

After that I am thinking of putting on a batwing fairing and back boxes with foot plates.

Will putting on the batwing fairing make long journeys more bearable, as I get blown around on motorways on the sportster.

will the foot plates stop my right foot being ripped off the brake side foot peg.

If someone has had experience with these I would be grateful for feed back before I doll out the money.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Gonna be a long winter for you. I use an HD quick detach windshield for my Custom and is great on the longer trips. That batwing will definitely give more wind protection.

I'm getting one for my King, just in time for the cold weather here in the States, as I ride year-round.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

On my Sporty I have an H-D qd windshield. In all honesty it hardly ever comes off now, except to clean it! I don't personally use them much, but Mrs B uses our highway pegs to stretch out and make herself comfy on dual-carriageways and motorways, struttin' her stuff! They may be a solution. I don't recall either of us having problems with feet coming off the mid-pegs.

To be frank the riding position on many Harleys is pretty awful. You may be taller than us, so if your knees are higher than your bum your poor feet are at a disadvantage, as you may not be putting much weight on them. A higher seat may help that. On my Glide my knees are lower than my hips, so although my feet are well forwards I can push down on them for improved security. That's where our Sporty forward pegs are useful.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:38 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,812 Likes on 1,087 Posts

If you are feeling the need due to getting blown around....perhaps it's time to look at selling Sportster and moving up to bigger bike? It may be more cost effective and you perhaps would be happier.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 AM
TheGit12
Tourer

Originally Posted by jeepster09
If you are feeling the need due to getting blown around....perhaps it's time to look at selling Sportster and moving up to bigger bike? It may be more cost effective and you perhaps would be happier.
To be honest I owned an FXDL and couldn't get on with it, I will buy a street bob at some point, but will keep hold of the sportster, when I own a big twin I always miss riding a sportster.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:20 AM
TheGit12
Tourer

Originally Posted by RKZen
Gonna be a long winter for you. I use an HD quick detach windshield for my Custom and is great on the longer trips. That batwing will definitely give more wind protection.

I'm getting one for my King, just in time for the cold weather here in the States, as I ride year-round.
That is what I was thinking, that the bat wing will give me maximum protection, I have my X11 and Fireblade to get me through winter riding, wouldn't want to do the chrome with our British road salted winters.

Originally Posted by grbrown
On my Sporty I have an H-D qd windshield. In all honesty it hardly ever comes off now, except to clean it! I don't personally use them much, but Mrs B uses our highway pegs to stretch out and make herself comfy on dual-carriageways and motorways, struttin' her stuff! They may be a solution. I don't recall either of us having problems with feet coming off the mid-pegs.

To be frank the riding position on many Harleys is pretty awful. You may be taller than us, so if your knees are higher than your bum your poor feet are at a disadvantage, as you may not be putting much weight on them. A higher seat may help that. On my Glide my knees are lower than my hips, so although my feet are well forwards I can push down on them for improved security. That's where our Sporty forward pegs are useful.
Being someone that rides sports bikes and street bike I have to admit when I pull the Sportster out for a ride the riding position does feel weird, the problem is I am vertically challenged so the forward pegs are the problem, on a sportster my braking foot does get torn off the pegs at high speed.