Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 587 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Seat compatibility question

Howdy gang. Been thinking on seats for a while (some may have seen my prior posts). Can anyone confirm if new Iron 883 seats would fit on an older Sportster (like mine, an 04)?

"The seat is the same 04 up, including 2014 and 15"

I really like the tuck and roll look of the newer ones and I don't ride a ton a miles in a shot so I thought I'd put a newer seat on if they fit.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Dudepants; 10-17-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The newer model seats should fit your 04 fine. The only thing that you need to pay attention to is the gas tank. Seats for Sporties with the (longer) 4.5 gal. fuel tank have a shorter nose.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
The newer model seats should fit your 04 fine. The only thing that you need to pay attention to is the gas tank. Seats for Sporties with the (longer) 4.5 gal. fuel tank have a shorter nose.
Beauty, thanks for the info cHarley!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:52 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Dudepants (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
That's awesome, exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks HarleyScuba!

Old 10-19-2016, 08:59 PM
jonschoen
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about seat compatibility, but I do know this.. The seat on my 2016 XL1200C Sportster, I think they call it the "Badlander", SUCKS. It is so uncomfortable. I slide down the seat. I can't find a good fit. I tried other seats on other bikes at the Chandler AZ HD dealership, and I really liked the seat that comes stock on either the "Street Bob" or the Fat Bob", something that has some depth to it, where I sit "IN" the seat and not "ON" the seat.

I asked multiple people at the dealership if ANY other stock seat from ANY other bike would fit my Sportster XL1200C. The very quick and fast answer was a hard NO. No research, no pulling out a screw driver. How hard is that? Just a quick NO! and go over to parts to buy an aftermarket seat. DUH. If I wanted to do that, I would order from Amazon. I'm thinking maybe I can take the upholstery off the seat, and with a knife and heat gun, 'reshape" the seat? It can't get any worse.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jonschoen
I'm not sure about seat compatibility, but I do know this.. The seat on my 2016 XL1200C Sportster, I think they call it the "Badlander", SUCKS. It is so uncomfortable. I slide down the seat. I can't find a good fit. I tried other seats on other bikes at the Chandler AZ HD dealership, and I really liked the seat that comes stock on either the "Street Bob" or the Fat Bob", something that has some depth to it, where I sit "IN" the seat and not "ON" the seat.

I asked multiple people at the dealership if ANY other stock seat from ANY other bike would fit my Sportster XL1200C. The very quick and fast answer was a hard NO. No research, no pulling out a screw driver. How hard is that? Just a quick NO! and go over to parts to buy an aftermarket seat. DUH. If I wanted to do that, I would order from Amazon. I'm thinking maybe I can take the upholstery off the seat, and with a knife and heat gun, 'reshape" the seat? It can't get any worse.

The dealership was right about the seats. A dyna seat comes nowhere near fitting any model of Sportster. I've owned Sportsters, Dynas and Tourers. The seats may look similar but they are worlds apart when it come to the actual fit.

The following users liked this post:
jonschoen (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

That's simply not true. The XL1200T and XL883L have the same frame and tank as the XL1200C. Their seats should fit. If you want a stock seat, I'd look at the 1200T first, as it's meant to go longer distances. That said, I've never heard a good thing about a stock Sportster seat. If you're looking for something affordable and comfortable, check out Mustang or C&C.

Unless you're talking about Dyna seats. They will definitely not fit a Sportster without some fabrication.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 PM
jonschoen
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I was just kind of taken aback by the dealerships attitude. They were very helpful when buying a bike, never helpful afterwards... Because when I'm told that something "Can't be done", my mind says "Oh, Yes it can!".... I recently put 13" apes/ 1.25" on my sportster, and extended the electrical myself, extended the clutch and brake and throttle cables all myself. Everyone said "It wont work, they won't look good", etc. Well, I did it anyway, In my personal opinion, it looks great, works great, and I love it! So my idea was "There may be a seat that fits in the front hook, but that I may need to slightly modify the back hook/bolt." Just trying to find the exact seat I want, without spending $300-$400.

Attached Thumbnails Seat compatibility question-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Just trying to find the exact seat I want, without spending $300-$400.
I'm in the same boat. Lots of great options out there, but pulling the trigger and finding out you hate it would bum me out.

Quick Reply: Seat compatibility question