Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise from primary area

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:15 PM
diverherb
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default noise from primary area

Hope someone can help before I tear it down. I have a loud "whiring" noise coming from my primary side. It is more noticeable when slowing. Does not matter whether I am in gear or neutral. Still makes the noise if clutch is pulled in or out. Engine off and coasting in neutral noise is still there. Seems to be a rotational noise and keeps pace with the bike speed. Sitting still with engine running no noise. Pulling the clutch in will change the noise but it remains as long as the bike is moving. Any ideas? I am thinking that it may be the thro out bearing or inner clutch bearing.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:22 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Bike model, year, mileage?????????????

Old 10-24-2016, 01:00 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by diverherb
Hope someone can help before I tear it down. I have a loud "whiring" noise coming from my primary side. It is more noticeable when slowing. Does not matter whether I am in gear or neutral. Still makes the noise if clutch is pulled in or out. Engine off and coasting in neutral noise is still there. Seems to be a rotational noise and keeps pace with the bike speed. Sitting still with engine running no noise. Pulling the clutch in will change the noise but it remains as long as the bike is moving. Any ideas? I am thinking that it may be the thro out bearing or inner clutch bearing.
I'm going to bet it isn't in the primary.

Coasting with the engine off and tranny in neutral should mean there is no movement in the primary chain and clutch basket. It might be in the output shaft bearing, or it might even be in the wheels. Sounds can be strange that way.

But like cHarley said, more bike info would be helpful.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:35 PM
diverherb
Advanced

Sorry about the lack of information. The bike is a 1999 Sportster 1200. To update everyone in case they run into similar problem. I removed the right drive sprocket cover to check the bearing/belt/sprocket for any damage. What I found was the drive sprocket was loose, after taking the sprocket nut lock off I could actually remove the nut with my hand. After applying locktite to the nut and re-torqueing the noise was gone. So just a heads up to those that may be hunting a drive noise on their sporty.

The following 2 users liked this post by diverherb:
Max2015RGlide (10-27-2016), TStephen (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Sorry about the lack of information. The bike is a 1999 Sportster 1200. To update everyone in case they run into similar problem. I removed the right drive sprocket cover to check the bearing/belt/sprocket for any damage. What I found was the drive sprocket was loose, after taking the sprocket nut lock off I could actually remove the nut with my hand. After applying locktite to the nut and re-torqueing the noise was gone. So just a heads up to those that may be hunting a drive noise on their sporty.
I had a similar problem with my drive pulley. But instead of a whining noise, I got a clunking noise when transitioning from a standstill to moving under load. My drive sprocket was so worn (on the inside/spline area) that I had to replace it.

Glad to hear it was a "simple" fix. It's a pretty high torque value on that pulley nut, I think in the 200ft.lb. range. Are you certain you got it cranked on there good?

Old 10-26-2016, 06:56 AM
diverherb
Advanced

Actually I think the book called for a torque value of 50 ftlbs+30deg. which I thought pretty wimpy, but the nut is fine thread and thin so anything much over that would probably strip the threads. So far so good. I actually over tightened the nut and the bolts holding the locknut I used red Loctite on everything. Hopefully it will be okay.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Actually I think the book called for a torque value of 50 ftlbs+30deg. which I thought pretty wimpy, but the nut is fine thread and thin so anything much over that would probably strip the threads. So far so good. I actually over tightened the nut and the bolts holding the locknut I used red Loctite on everything. Hopefully it will be okay.
Gotchya! I was probably thinking of the primary drive sprocket or some such excuse.