Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster to Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:21 PM
mcddusan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster to Bagger

Iapologize in advance for this wordy post and thank you in advance for takingthe time to read it

Letme start this post by saying that I really want to purchase a new bike. But due to the challenges of having a very short inseam any bike I buy willneed to be lowered. Some as much as 3 inches. This combined with thefact that very few dealers of any model of motorcycle have motorcycles in stockthat I can test drive and I have a very hard time making a $20K + purchase of something I have never ridden.

Oncea salesperson told me "touching the ground flat footed isoverrated." needless to say I will never be back to that dealership.

Myother option is to customize the bike I currently own, know like it is an extensionof me and love. A 2009 XL883C Sportster Custom Light and Dark Root Beerin color. Yes I know that that sentence contained some redundancy.

Hereis what I want to do:

• bags:extra wide and long that will work with my current 2:1 SuperTrapp exhaust
  • stretchedfender to match the bags I have not located
  • BatwingFairing- compact but big enough to still house a stereo. I have found some on the web but can nevertell from the pics or description if my current forks, riser, and speedo set upneeds to be changed to accommodate
  • CruiseControl- not another type of throttle lock but a control that actually keeps aspecific speed
  • ArnnotAir Suspension- because I am getting older 600+ miles in a day is starting tobe painful.

Anyleads on parts, helpful tips and tricks, and especially photos from any of youwho have knowledge / experience with this type of project would be seriouslyappreciated.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:26 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by mcddusan
But due to the challenges of having a very short inseam any bike I buy willneed to be lowered. Some as much as 3 inches.
I guess it depends on how short an inseam. I'm lucky if my inseam is 28" and I ride a stock Road King. I wear thick soled boots, and have a low seat on order.

I owned a HD Softail Deuce awhile back, and that was lower than most Sportsters. Have you sat on a Softail?

Old 10-28-2016, 03:29 PM
mcddusan
1st Gear

I like the look of the line on a softail slim but the lines get mucked up when you throw a fairing and luggage on it and then I no longer like it. the power was nice and scary though when I test drove one.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Maximus924
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

More help would come if you clarify "short inseam" , that statement alone doesn't help anyone understand what your working with. Did you have to lower the 883?

That being said, I raised the suspension a little on my nightster, I wouldn't dare ride 600 miles on that thing with the stock 11.5" shocks. If your running 11.5" or shorter shocks, yikes. Spring seat maybe?

a stock Road King is only 1/2" taller than stock iron seat height... I would seriously look at lowered touring bikes, seems like an obvious statement, but on a 600 mile ride comfort is paramount.

All that being said, if you have a tiny frame and a big bike just isn't an option, theres no reason you cant make the 883 fit your plan, just how much $$ you want to throw at it?

Last edited by Maximus924; 10-28-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcddusan (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:45 PM
mcddusan
1st Gear

My inseam is 27"

Yes I put the shortest shocks I could find on the rear of, put a lowering spring thing In the front fork, and have a reach seat.

What happens with the bigger touring bikes that most commonly list a 26" seat height is that because the frame is wider at the crotch the angle from hip to knee and knee to foot actually shortens the length of the leg

For example I recently tried out an Indian chieftain and in order to flatfoot it- I had to stack 2 2x4's on their side which simulated 3" lowering. Which at this point is not actually doable in real life.

My budget to change my current bike is 7k this is for parts, paint, and a 1200 conversion any more than that and I might as well keep waiting for a new bike and a 3" lowering kit to come on the market or for motorcycle manufacturers to get on board with designing a bike for short people

Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Often it is the width of the seat that is pushing your legs outward. That can be fixed by narrowing it at an upholstery shop.

A Heritage is basically a Softail Road King and many people put serious miles on theirs. A windshield should do as well or better than a fairing for wind management. The Heritage comes with one and bags.

Adding a shield to a slim wouldn't ruin the looks as mich as a batwing would and you could remove it for shorter trips.

If you're determined to go with a fairing, Memphis Shades makes a reasonably priced one that easily pops on and off for most Dynas and Softails. They may make something for your Sporty too. No electronics, but around $350 I think. Think they have some that accept a radio and speakers too. For a full fairing with gauges and stereo might want to look into Woody's.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-28-2016 at 05:34 PM.
mcddusan (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:25 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Check this thread for ideas.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...bagger-70.html

It depends on the kind of riding you will be doing. I am also vertically challenged so I installed 10.5" shocks and lowering springs. Although I could plant my feet on the ground, the ride sucked. I installed 11.5" SG oil/air shocks and increased the height of my shoe soles.

Look at Tsukaya.com for fairings and bags. I have Tsukaya bags but aftermarket cheap fairings (but made pretty well for the price). Good luck.

Last edited by hscic; 10-28-2016 at 09:27 PM.
mcddusan (10-28-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 05:15 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

I ride 800+ miles a day over the Wisconsin mountain range one way to work. Thankfully I have a Hover seat and due to the speeds I achieve I have been contacted by the good people that run the superbike circuit and they want me to ride to the Isle of Man for the TT next year as a special entry on my Sportster. I am also having a hard time finding all the plastic parts to be able to run in the 1200cc class. This is a pic of me going to work.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

I to have a short inseam ( 27" ) and have lowered a 81 sportster 3" (ridgid ) and a 80 Tour Glide 3" . H-D"s are cookie cutter as far as seat height is concerned , make YOUR bike fit YOU or you wont't like riding and I don't ride 2 up because of the short suspension , this is RIGHT for ME , when other riders find out that I've personalized my ride they say that they need to do something also , you are not by any means alone on this , I have even changed handle bars to fit , brake pedals , shifter angles , floor board angles , narrowed seat , I will remember of more latter I'm sure , if I ever sell the Tour Glide it will be listed as SHORT PERSON SPECIAL

Old 10-29-2016, 07:43 AM
kzone
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do u need to have both feet flat on the ground at the same time?

mcddusan (10-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Sportster to Bagger