Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Stage 4 ... who done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:08 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts
Default HD Stage 4 ... who done it?

Looking for feedback and input on the Stage 4 kit that Harley sells. Seriously considering it, and since it's a decent wad of cash, wanting to hear opinions on it.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:17 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Looking for feedback and input on the Stage 4 kit that Harley sells. Seriously considering it, and since it's a decent wad of cash, wanting to hear opinions on it.
a few folks have done it then disappeared. its cheaper that the hammer 90+ for 2004+ bikes.

Go for it. you'll need a 58mm air cleaner.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:40 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member

Already got a Power Vision with the stage 1 AC, wondering if the added cost/power is really worth it. I have no doubt that Hammer does quality work but I sleep easier at night and more confidant on longer trips knowing that its straight from the factory (yeah, I'm one of those guys)

The following users liked this post:
load97 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:15 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Already got a Power Vision with the stage 1 AC, wondering if the added cost/power is really worth it. I have no doubt that Hammer does quality work but I sleep easier at night and more confidant on longer trips knowing that its straight from the factory (yeah, I'm one of those guys)
i felt the same when i did my 1200 conversion. no regrets. i like knowing that if i have an issue, the parts i need are sitting in a biin at the next McDealer on the highway.

the hd stage 4 does not void your warranty if installed by a stealer. hammer also stands behind their goods and modificatiins. either way you will not end up like poor Bowhunter did with his horrendous Zippers incident that resulted in him just chucking his bike and getting a new one.

cost/power value? depends on your preferences really. im not really into all that fast sportster jazz and red light racing. stock, they are unstable above 100mph and have horrible brakes... asking for disaster. I only ride mine around town now anyway.

Madnss and other speedheads will appear and chime in. if anything thing, it's damn fun to just do the work though.

for me, that $2000+ would go to elsewhere. but really -if you have the itch, scratch it. life is short

The following users liked this post:
load97 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
i felt the same when i did my 1200 conversion. no regrets. i like knowing that if i have an issue, the parts i need are sitting in a biin at the next McDealer on the highway.

the hd stage 4 does not void your warranty if installed by a stealer. hammer also stands behind their goods and modificatiins. either way you will not end up like poor Bowhunter did with his horrendous Zippers incident that resulted in him just chucking his bike and getting a new one.

cost/power value? depends on your preferences really. im not really into all that fast sportster jazz and red light racing. stock, they are unstable above 100mph and have horrible brakes... asking for disaster. I only ride mine around town now anyway.

Madnss and other speedheads will appear and chime in. if anything thing, it's damn fun to just do the work though.

for me, that $2000+ would go to elsewhere. but really -if you have the itch, scratch it. life is short
I read that Zippers saga, even more of a page turner than the Samson exhaust stories! I'm not looking to race or anything, its just an in town or bar hopper bike with the occasional hour trip once, maybe twice a year. Just need my speed fix without buying a crotch rocket yet.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:09 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I read that Zippers saga, even more of a page turner than the Samson exhaust stories! I'm not looking to race or anything, its just an in town or bar hopper bike with the occasional hour trip once, maybe twice a year. Just need my speed fix without buying a crotch rocket yet.
Keep an eye on your motor & primary/tranny oil. Running mostly short trips (bar hopping) is a prescription for water accumulation from condensation in your oil.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Hammer is one of the best out there. They do exultant work. They will help you every step of the way to make your build successful. They are great to work with. They know how to get the most horse power out of a Sportster engine.

And Harley's stage 4 is not cheaper than Hammers 90 HP kit. Hammer's kit includes a power vision, energy one clutch with the motion pro clutch puller, and bronze oil pump gear, with all the gaskets. If you don't need the power vision, energy one clutch, and clutch puller, the 90 HP 1250 kit with cylinders, 30 degree reverse dome pistons head machining and port work, 560 cams, push rods, and bronze oil pump drive gear is a little over $1700 dollars.

Last edited by hexnut; 11-16-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,052 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
a few folks have done it then disappeared. its cheaper that the hammer 90+ for 2004+ bikes.

Go for it. you'll need a 58mm air cleaner.
Why don't you compare apples to apples? Plus the chicken kit claims adjustables are need. Haha add $350.00 more!

Do you not realize all the extra things hammer puts in there "kits" like tools, clutches, bronze drive gear ect.....

Old 11-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Madnss
Why don't you compare apples to apples? Plus the chicken kit claims adjustables are need. Haha add $350.00 more!

Do you not realize all the extra things hammer puts in there "kits" like tools, clutches, bronze drive gear ect.....

You can also opt to not purchase the tools and extra parts. Add that up then compare. Don't forget to tag $350 for chicken tubes haha

Old 11-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

What bike you thinking about putting it on?

Quick Reply: HD Stage 4 ... who done it?