Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 05:13 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yeah, I figured they will go well with the silver metal-flake frame.
That would look stealth.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by ApehangerSporty
Your bike should look great when finished, old skool and new skool mix, doesn't get any better in my opinion.

Yeah, with a bit of old creaky bones comfort slipped in there...I'm chomping at the bit to get it done...but it's gonna be a while yet with all the other stuff going on.

Originally Posted by splattttttt
That would look stealth.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 PM
speedmastermotor
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its interesting, looks like first rate craftsmanship and to each their own, but I just don't get the rigid frame thing.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

In a previous post I showed where we were test fitting some Chrome floorboards on this bike.

We worked on several different designs of mounts...kludging some ideas together with scrap metal, welding, drilling, tapping and grinding.

I wanted the boards to be as tucked in as possible, and to mount off the factory clevis.

We got some machined up and then sent them off to powder. Got them back last week.

While working on them for this bike, I got to thinking, I bet they would be comfortable on my other Sporty.

So I mounted up a set of Black Floorboards on the DK Sporty. Been riding with them the last few days.

WOW!!! I just started out with this idea because I thought it would be good for this SBS Chop with the Suicide Clutch.

It is amazingly more comfortable And stable feeling at speed. Plus I have More lean angle!

Name:  FB%201_zps2bo8773d.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  200.3 KB

Name:  FB%202_zps1noefsek.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  262.7 KB

Name:  FB%203_zpsyj9ipuar.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  323.8 KB

Name:  FB%205_zpsvgke7rbb.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  343.5 KB

Name:  6-26-17%20headed%20for%20shop%202_zpspp6mog0k.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  278.9 KB

The black ones are staying on this Sporty and the Chrome ones are going on the SBS Chop.

Kevin

Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

As the foot pads are solidly mounted to the boards, are you getting any serious vibes in your feet when riding at hiway speeds? FWIW, the DK bike looks great with the boards, and complement the springer seat as well. tp

Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedmastermotor
its interesting, looks like first rate craftsmanship and to each their own, but I just don't get the rigid frame thing.
Yeah, the rigid is about the look and a different/better feel-connection for the road. I am hoping that the attention I've paid to the seat shock will ameliorate the lack of rear suspension...we'll see.

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
As the foot pads are solidly mounted to the boards, are you getting any serious vibes in your feet when riding at hiway speeds? FWIW, the DK bike looks great with the boards, and complement the springer seat as well. tp
Yes, the pads are solidly mounted to the boards...no cushioning in between them. They are rubber, so they have a bit of intrinsic isolation.

No serious vibes. It is the same, or a little less than with pegs. BUT, it does feel different with the whole foot being supported instead of just a portion.

Different Sportys vibrate differently...mine does not vibrate much going thru the RPM''s, but definitely has a bit more in the 75-85 mph range in 5th gear. (883 gearing)

Prior to these boards I was comfortable cruising up to 75 mph...I would pop up to 90 mph passing, but never comfortable cruising there. I've been to 95 mph more than a few times and 100 mph once. I definitely did not feel comfortable sustaining that speed.

With the floorboards I was cruising between 85 and 95 mph the other day and it was rock solid, totally comfortable. Still have not figured out quite why. Theories are that the wind is no longer hitting my boot bottoms, fighting to push them off the pegs. Also, I seem to be sitting on the seat differently.

Kevin

The following 4 users liked this post by DK Custom:
dirtdreamer50 (06-30-2017), rowan (12-31-2017), Søren Rix Petersen (06-29-2017), splattttttt (06-30-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,916 Likes on 2,560 Posts

A- rigid frames are perfectly acceptable for the long haul as long as you have a seat with a suspension. The MoCo knew what it was doing back in the day with the pogo seats. Very comfortable and only the worst of bumps get it to bottom out and then send the shock to your lower back. If my '70 FLH was not a two up bike I would go with a factory pogo and have the best of both worlds, shocks and suspension seat. Then it would really be the King of the Highway.

B- Floor boards definitely work better then pegs for a bunch of reasons including the ability to move your foot around and still be supported. Do they look as good as pegs, depends on the bike. I agree with the wind on your boot as part of the increased comfort, or lack of wind. I think it also allows your foot to be in it's natural position and not locked into a perfectly straight location as dictated by the pegs.

Keep going, the bike is looking good.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, the pads are solidly mounted to the boards...no cushioning in between them. They are rubber, so they have a bit of intrinsic isolation.

No serious vibes. It is the same, or a little less than with pegs. BUT, it does feel different with the whole foot being supported instead of just a portion.

Different Sportys vibrate differently...mine does not vibrate much going thru the RPM''s, but definitely has a bit more in the 75-85 mph range in 5th gear. (883 gearing)

Prior to these boards I was comfortable cruising up to 75 mph...I would pop up to 90 mph passing, but never comfortable cruising there. I've been to 95 mph more than a few times and 100 mph once. I definitely did not feel comfortable sustaining that speed.

With the floorboards I was cruising between 85 and 95 mph the other day and it was rock solid, totally comfortable. Still have not figured out quite why. Theories are that the wind is no longer hitting my boot bottoms, fighting to push them off the pegs. Also, I seem to be sitting on the seat differently.

Kevin
I couldn't believe how much vibration was dispersed across the boards.
I also found that my foot could move to many other positions while riding aiding comfort

And if you ever think of making those board mounts and selling them
they seem to bring the boards in nice and tight

Old 06-30-2017, 07:52 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Kevin
Sold Let us know when you add them to your lineup!

Old 07-04-2017, 05:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Architect
A- rigid frames are perfectly acceptable for the long haul as long as you have a seat with a suspension. The MoCo knew what it was doing back in the day with the pogo seats. Very comfortable and only the worst of bumps get it to bottom out and then send the shock to your lower back. If my '70 FLH was not a two up bike I would go with a factory pogo and have the best of both worlds, shocks and suspension seat. Then it would really be the King of the Highway.

B- Floor boards definitely work better then pegs for a bunch of reasons including the ability to move your foot around and still be supported. Do they look as good as pegs, depends on the bike. I agree with the wind on your boot as part of the increased comfort, or lack of wind. I think it also allows your foot to be in it's natural position and not locked into a perfectly straight location as dictated by the pegs.

Keep going, the bike is looking good.
Thank you!

Yes, I am getting soft in my old age. My other Sporty has a spring seat, reworked front suspension, and 13" rear shocks.

Softail has reworked front suspension and with the factory rear suspension it just floats over the bumps.

TG has reworked front suspension, and highly refined rear suspension, it not only handles extremely well, but eats up the bumps almost as good as the Softail.

I'm hoping between reworking the front suspension and having a good seat and seat suspension, that this SBS Sporty is a comfy ride for my old bones. lol

Originally Posted by BensonUK
I couldn't believe how much vibration was dispersed across the boards.
I also found that my foot could move to many other positions while riding aiding comfort

And if you ever think of making those board mounts and selling them
they seem to bring the boards in nice and tight
Will do.

Originally Posted by samhallnc
Sold Let us know when you add them to your lineup!
Working on it...should not be long.

Kevin

Quick Reply: SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's