Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may need an intervention

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Bucket list

So I've always wanted to ride the PCH, and finally got a chance to mark it off the bucket list. Here's a couple shots that turned out well including a pit stop to the Top Gun house. it rained on us quite a bit but it was still an awesome ride!

Oceanside pier

Top Gun house

Old 05-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Oddman
Tourer

worked on the back end a little this weekend. nothin huge, added rear turn eyebrows, new license plate setup and a run brake turn module. had to re-do the wires to my custom coil setup again. keep braking the wire right behind the solder on the eyelet. time to rethink that connection

Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM
cborge
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddman
Got a little bit more done on her last night after work. Had to completely re-do the speedo/ indicator light wire harness to match up with my '06. finally got everything above the triple trees complete. BIG thanks to cvaria for hookin me up with the '07 schematic to get her done.

Hi. I like would you have done to your bike!
I'm looking at how to get rid of the Custom riser as well. What problems did you run into with the wire harness for the speedo/indicators?
Is the contact under the tank different from different years? Or is it only the Custom that has a different contact?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I swear i am done but new bikes just demand to be tinkered with and be adjusted to your style. I neded new grips for my wifes smaller hands and that required new bars of course to avoid cutting off the old grip lol. Then the turn signals looked like hell so they have to move.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Oddman
Tourer

Originally Posted by cborge
Hi. I like would you have done to your bike!
I'm looking at how to get rid of the Custom riser as well. What problems did you run into with the wire harness for the speedo/indicators?
Is the contact under the tank different from different years? Or is it only the Custom that has a different contact?
sorry for the late reply, was in the black hills and sturgis riding! the wiring harness changes for different years so the connector plug under the tank didn't match up on mine cause I have an '06 and the wiring harness that I bought was for an '07. '07 was the year they changed over to fuel injection and changed to whole ECM brain on the bike. with a little help from cvaria and the '07 wiring schematic he shared with me I was able to solder the plug end from the '06 harness onto the the new stuff. It worked like a dream. that was the biggest problem I ran into. buy a service manual, do some research on this forum and it will be no sweat! If I can help at all, just holler

Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM
Oddman
Tourer
Default V&H Big Radius exhaust

So I've been waiting for this for two years. Finally found the Vance & Hines Big Radius for sale at just over $400. Jumped on them. The old pipes were wide open short shots that the PO had on the bike when I bought it. He had laid it down so I think he scrapped the heat shields and wrapped them to save a few bucks. Little did I know that not only were the straight pipes robbing performance but the connections at the exhaust ports were FUBAR.

I included a pic of the bike when I first got it to show how far shes come

Bike before any mods by me

Before exhaust upgrade

After new pipes

Pic of the exhaust port before I cleaned it up and replaced the gaskets

Took it out for a test spin and all I can say is WOW. I was floored at how much better she performed. Throttle response was a bit better, shifting transition was smoother and the biggest most amazing difference was in the Torque. Entering the freeway, it was like a new bike. I was really able to stretch her legs. I cant believe I waited so long to do this. it should have been the first mod. live and learn

I had been considering getting a set of the TTI's from DK because I've read a million posts about how much torque is lost with straight pipes but IMO the looks are hands down better with these V&H Big Radius. Me and my baby are HAPPY CAMPERS!

The following users liked this post:
underwhelmd (08-27-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Default 2 years later

Well my sporty has celebrated its 2nd anniversary with me. just prior to that I decided to bite the bullet and put some new tires on my baby since my rear Dunflop tire was nearly bald and had a flat spot that detracted from handling.

The indy shop that I use was givin me the low down on the tires and I asked if they could do a tune up on the carb while it was there. The owner (who knows me well) asked if I still had the extended warranty that I got with the bike when I bought it from the dealership. I had a week left on the warranty. He told me that he could completely rebuild the carb and address any other issues that I had under the warranty. He also rents bikes and said the warranty covered rentals, so I could pick a bike from his fleet and ride while he had the bike! this was an amazing opportunity for me to get some real seat time on some different models. I've done the demo days but this would give me the chance to really put some miles on some different models. I was ecstatic, mostly cause my baby was going to get the royal treatment but also for the opportunity to ride these bikes. He puts his custom spin on all these bikes. All three bikes had newer Michelin commander II tires

Bike #1: 2007 softail custom. This bike was more my flavor from a looks standpoint. more of a classic Harley feel. I was really surprised at how cramped I felt on this bike. even with the forward controls, it had an uncomfortable seating position compared to my sporty. the power was "eh, ok" but not what I was expecting. the front windshield at highway speeds was unnerving to say the least due to the front end buffeting that it caused. Handling was ok, didnt really feel all that confident at higher speed maneuvering. I put about 75 miles on this one before I traded it out. This was my least favorite bike of the 3

Bike #2: 2012 Street Glide. I put just over 600 miles on this one. It was a great bike for what it was made for. with the tour pack in place, I threw my wife on the back and headed to Thunder Valley Rally in cottonwood Az. this bike was made for the freeway. Cruise control was awesome, it was the feature that I missed the most after I was done. Having a stereo was cool. the front fairing took a little getting used to but helped reduce long term fatigue greatly. did get some serious buffeting to my ff helmet that rattled my brain at about 85 mph. seating position was A LOT more comfortable than the softail but not the stretched out feel of my sporty. Wife loved the comfort of the tour pack and large rear seat but said it didnt have the "badass" factor that she feels on the sporty. suspension was a lot better at soaking up the bumps. overall, this bike was impressive

Bike #3: 2016 Road Glide. This was my favorite of the 3. in my opinion, the overall look of the bike is dog $#!t but it made up for it in performance. it commanded the road in a surprising way for it being such a large bike. the front fairing was perfect in setup as it kept me out of the wind at high speed. It was unreal how doing 95 mph felt like nothing. The brakes were insanely powerful. it felt much more nimble than the SG. The wife said it was a comfortable ride and had a little more cool factor than the SG but still didnt look as good as the sporty. love that woman! It had power to spare, felt like if I really got on it, I could lift the front tire. The exaust (rhinehardt, i think) sounded great, had just the right bark to it, especially when the throttle was applied. Got just over 90 miles on this badboy

While I was enjoying these rides, my sporty got a complete carb rebuild, new intake seals, new starter, rewired coil wires, and new Michelin Commander II tires. When I picked it up it felt so small and light. I missed the front pegs as I pulled out of the parking lot, muscle memory was used to the other bikes. the handle bars felt so narrow. After about ten miles I just started smiling. The bike felt amazing. So nimble, so quick. it handled so easily. my far forward controls felt so good, nice and stretched out for my long legs. After i scrubbed in the front tires I was able to corner like never before. I scraped the exhaust in a turn, something that ive never done before. The bike felt so much more planted on the road compared to before. I should have replaced those tires a LONG time ago. I forgot how good the "in the wind" feeling was. Overall, it was a great experience to ride those other bikes but made me appreciate my sporty so much more. I love my bike!

Last edited by Oddman; 10-03-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: forgot a pic - oops
Old 10-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Chris5161997
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The same dillema

[QUOTE=Oddman;15847526]Got a little bit more done on her last night after work. Had to completely re-do the speedo/ indicator light wire harness to match up with my '06. finally got everything above the triple trees complete. BIG thanks to cvaria for hookin me up with the '07 schematic to get her done.

Greetings,
I’m doing a similar job to my ‘05 and was wondering if You had that schematic or remember the splices you made... much appreciated and bars look good!

Old 10-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Oddman
Tourer
Default 07 sportster schematic

Originally Posted by Chris5161997
[QUOTE Greetings,
I’m doing a similar job to my ‘05 and was wondering if You had that schematic or remember the splices you made... much appreciated and bars look good!

thank you, they are great bars and have held up very well. here is the schematic for the 07 that I used. The other schematic for the 06 is in the back of the service manual for my bike. the fuel indicator light (yellow wire) will be unused for your bike. If you dont have a service manual, pick one up. its a must if your going to do just about anything for your bike and they are year specific. good luck on your mods and let me know if I can be of further assistance

Last edited by Oddman; 10-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.