Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mother road coil over spring shock seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Trudger1272
Thanks for the input and it's something being considered. It's just starting out there's so many paths to take with customization. The choices can be overwhelming at times.

In fact, how do you rate your Cherokee seat? As I've already mentioned, I do like the look of that particular seat as well.
No doubt, the Sportster is a great canvas for making modifications, and there are a ton of choice, literally. It can be very overwhelming at times.

The Cherokee seat is very comfortable...but to make things even more confusing...most passengers find the HD Brand Sundowner seat to be more comfortable.

But, to my eyes, the Cherokee looks better.

Since rear suspension was mentioned, are Progressive 412 shocks better that the stock Sportster shocks after 2016?

I can never find much of a comparison of the two and everything is always before the 2016 upgrade.
We tested the Progressive 412's. They are better than the stock shocks (both pre and post 2016), but the Pro-Action and Twin Adjustable shocks are Twice the improvement over stock that the 412's are...but not anywhere near twice the price.

Rear Shocks LINK.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-08-2017, 12:18 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The barrel springs are much softer, and have more travel, than the scissor springs.

On our newest build there's no place for shocks!

So I'm going with a BMX frame shock on the seat. It will give 3" of seat travel.

Will be interesting to see how the ride feels...still months off from that though.

your seat has more travel then most sportsters........

Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

also with the rear suspension the big issues is limited travel. yes valuing is super important, but with the stock travel being sub 1.5 inches. there is only so much valving can do, hence people opting for longer shocks and in some cases getting 14 to 15 inch shocks. i have had stock 11 inch shocks 11 inch progressive 440 then 12 inch 444, now i have the 13.25 dk pro actions which are really nice($$$ i know), the Cherokee i enjoy alot i came form a springer to a builwell brat seat (for 2 up riding), which was really comfy as well, it gave me more room to move around. the Cherokee locks you in with the back support im 6'3 all legs skinny legs. some people might not have much room with the Cherokee. i really like the look, but for the price it inst much better in comfort then a builtwell or burly brands seat. the drag specialties have these adjustable length shock that for the money seem really nice, talked to a guy that liked them.
. 12 inch is the minimum length i think you need to really need to get a blance of travel and valving

Last edited by drinktothat421; 02-08-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

builtwell HB seat was def worth the money, they have a continental, atlas, and mongoose which looks like the Cherokee,

seat

Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

the Cherokee is not a inexpensive seat i know, i won a ebay bid on a stubs spoiler seat for like 45 bucks tried it out, then flipped it for the Cherokee i found online for a really good price on twoguyscycles.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Trudger1272
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, I think I'll slow down a bit and really take a look at what's available while saving up some more. All this stuff's new to me and when I decide what I want today, it might be something totally different tomorrow.

Something I'd read in another thread shortly after I made my anti-2up statement earlier in this thread, even changed my opinion on that just as quick. Maybe I'm not quoting this precisely but it went something like this;

"Why not share something you love so much with the one you love?!"

So with that, I'll probably be snatching up the Le Pera Cherokee. Then I may go with a suspension through DK Customs. I like how all the rider info & preference is entered during purchase. It seems like everything would be tailored to a degree.

Thanks again for the links!

Now one last question for the road; Ideally, it would be wise to upgrade both the front & back suspensions at the same time right?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Trudger1272
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
also with the rear suspension the big issues is limited travel. yes valuing is super important, but with the stock travel being sub 1.5 inches. there is only so much valving can do, hence people opting for longer shocks and in some cases getting 14 to 15 inch shocks. i have had stock 11 inch shocks 11 inch progressive 440 then 12 inch 444, now i have the 13.25 dk pro actions which are really nice($$$ i know), the Cherokee i enjoy alot i came form a springer to a builwell brat seat (for 2 up riding), which was really comfy as well, it gave me more room to move around. the Cherokee locks you in with the back support im 6'3 all legs skinny legs. some people might not have much room with the Cherokee. i really like the look, but for the price it inst much better in comfort then a builtwell or burly brands seat. the drag specialties have these adjustable length shock that for the money seem really nice, talked to a guy that liked them.
. 12 inch is the minimum length i think you need to really need to get a blance of travel and valving
Thanks for all the info!
When I do upgrade the suspension, I thought 12in would do. I don't want to change the height too much but, maybe I should be a little more open to 13in as well. As for the Biltwell seats I haven't done too much research YET. I do know Le Pera and various spring seat have steel pans and being I'm a heavy rider....

It just boils down to research, research, research I guess.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Thanks for all the info!
When I do upgrade the suspension, I thought 12in would do. I don't want to change the height too much but, maybe I should be a little more open to 13in as well. As for the Biltwell seats I haven't done too much research YET. I do know Le Pera and various spring seat have steel pans and being I'm a heavy rider....

It just boils down to research, research, research I guess.
im 6'3 250 with gear. take you time and look at the shock lenths, 12 inch shocks have like 2.5" to 2.75" of travel, 13" get you over the 3". i was going to get the Bitubos from DK but they didnt have the 13" with 3.75" of travel, so i went with the 13.25 proactions with the 3.5. i love the proactions i mean there were $$$ so i like them but i could have been just at happy with the 444 in 13" or even the 13" 970 piggy backs with 3.5" cant say for sure, Also progressive just came out with the 460 with adjustable rebound. Either way I recommend you get something with some external adjustment like compress or rebound adjust. i mean if you look at the photo of my bike does the rear end look bad? thats really the issue with the longer shocks, when parked they can look funny. I also put 4 inch monotubes in my fork.

Last edited by drinktothat421; 02-09-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

These seem pretty cool, you can get a 13" and go either 12.5 or 13.5

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ster-2004-2016

id still option for something a little more high end.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Trudger1272
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
im 6'3 250 with gear. take you time and look at the shock lenths, 12 inch shocks have like 2.5" to 2.75" of travel, 13" get you over the 3". i was going to get the Bitubos from DK but they didnt have the 13" with 3.75" of travel, so i went with the 13.25 proactions with the 3.5. i love the proactions i mean there were $$$ so i like them but i could have been just at happy with the 444 in 13" or even the 13" 970 piggy backs with 3.5" cant say for sure, Also progressive just came out with the 460 with adjustable rebound. Either way I recommend you get something with some external adjustment like compress or rebound adjust. i mean if you look at the photo of my bike does the rear end look bad? thats really the issue with the longer shocks, when parked they can look funny. I also put 4 inch monotubes in my fork.
Thanks! This helps a lot when it comes to options to checkout. For me though, I'll more than likely keep it under $600 for rear shocks. Well maybe!(LOL) With the riding I do, the stock suspension hasn't been treating me too bad so far but, of course there's still plenty of room for improvement.

"Do you change your front suspension each time as well?"

I like the way your bike looks! I've seen it a few times before joining the forum. It almost lead me to get a Edward Richie sissy bar but, I chose to go with Bison Motorsport instead. I wanted a bar that leaned back a tab bit more. Now I realize your suspension is just 2.25 inches longer and your rear end sets a little higher. Still it doesn't look bad at all. "Even though we never met, when I see that bike, I know it's yours! I'll love it when I get my bike that way!"

Quick Reply: Mother road coil over spring shock seat