Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or...

Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 923 Posts

Yup, same script here. I think I've been in there enough times now so they know I'm not a buyer and have stopped asking. They are commission sales people so I can't blame them for doing their job. It is annoying to be told your Sportster isn't sufficient though.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Topwater
Every time that I wak into the Harley dealers I get at least 3 sales people asking me if i need help. I always politely say no thanks, just looking around. Then they ask if I have a bike. Yes I do. What do u ride? I have a sportster. Every time they hear that the next question is, "are you looking to get something bigger?" Wtf? No! I love my sporty and I just said I was just looking! Geez. I know they want their commission, but not everybody wants a $30,000, 1,000lb bagger! Ok. Just had to get that out.
Yeah!

Originally Posted by grbrown
It's what they are there for, why are you surprised? Be nice and ask them where the free coffee/doughnuts/ice-creams are......
Good advice.

Originally Posted by BensonUK
A bagger is a bagger..it can't be anything else

Now a Sportster can be anything we want it to be
True that!

Originally Posted by Imold
What's really fun is when you have a big bagger too, and you tell them that - and say you've even ridden it a few times...
Yeah, that will probably shut them down.

Or you can show them your key chain.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
ask that question in the general, softail, dyna, or couch forum. you'll get the bigger is better nonsense all day long.
Now now, let's be nice to couches, I bought one too. And brand new on top of that.

But unlike the MoCo, IKEA charged me less than a grand.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 PM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a similar experience when I tried to trade my FLTRU in for a sportster.
I had been riding for over 46 years, had dynas, softails, roadkings, eletroglides, and finally a roadglide ultra; got tired of backing up a 900 lb bike. Getting old I guess.

First dealer salesman insulted me so bad I went to another dealer and bought my 2016 1200C. I set it up to fit me and love it.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Harley has been selling the XL as an entry level bike since the early '80s.

In a miracle of human evolution, overnight, the Sportster went from being the ideal mount for a recently returned paratrooper (or a recently released felon) to something your middle aged wife could learn to ride on.

Salesmen see an opportunity to sell and they take it. I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

It's funny that when they ask you "do you have a bike" and you say you own a bagger they never say: "Are you looking for something smaller?"

In fact, when I answered "I have a Road King, but I want to trade it in on a Sportster" they took a few seconds to process, but then said, no problem, gave me a $1000 discount on a 17, and handed me a check for over $5K when I rode out. Honestly, that's what I call a good dealer.

Last edited by LoneWoolf; 04-06-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Sevski13
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predators 👎

Actually the motor company's selling strategy that they push and try to instill within their dealers, is a very ethical approach. Being in the industry for years, the dealers are independently owned and most bikes on the floor have already been purchased from the Motor company by the dealer. sadly... that has made it come down to price only. Bringing shady sales tactics and horrible experiences. It's all because of volume and or what Harley pushes on the dealer to make you purchase. You can only get allocated bikes if the goal set by Harley is met. If it's not met, you will be the last dealer in your area to be allocated bikes.. And it will be a 1/4 of bikes allocated to the dealer then if you had met HDs goal.
You met the goal! here's 25 more touring bikes and a few cvo's bikes for the next two months. You didn't meet the goal! here's five 883 irons and six switchbacks for the next 5 months! That's why sometimes you see nothing but sportsters, v rods, softails and dynas on the floor. Harley dealers are undercutting each other, point blank. You'll either get aggressive sales tactics with no service and a we bit of a better price or you could get a we bit of a higher price with an amazing customer experience all around, that will bring you back to the dealer for many years to come...

If a customer is bickering over 300 dollars even after they dropped freight and set up and 2k and doesn't take the deal because of 300 bucks, he or she isn't looking for a customer experience or good service in anyway shape or form. But then walks from the deal and then goes to another dealer and says how horrible of an experience they had at the prior dealer that wasted their time and gave them the run a round. Sorry, who wasted their own time? The customer... It's simple, you get what you pay for... Even in the big ol entitled HD community...

[QUOTE=Guzzi;16104853]It's not just you......Harley trains their sales people to be predators.
Thank God most of the dealers around here have a side door that's left unguarded.[/QUOTE

Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The goal is not to "find the biggest seat for your ***". Yes the goal is to make money, obviously, its their job. But its not, or shouldnt, be the main goal. The main goal is to find you the bike that you are comfortable on, a bike that suits you and your needs, THEN upsell the hell out of products. That is the strategy, or the intended strategy that the motor company wants in every dealership.
It does them no good to put you on a bike that youre not comfortable with, that youre not going to ride, that youre not going to spend any money on!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:53 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

I always just say "parts!" and point to the back while walking past them.

Actually that's because I never go in just to "look around," what's the point?

The girl at the parts counter always calls me "Money Bags" because I rarely spend over $10.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Green Dart
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It's what they are there for, why are you surprised? Be nice and ask them where the free coffee/doughnuts/ice-creams are......
You had me at doughnuts....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it just me or...