Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   What should I do about my bent frame? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/11722-what-should-i-do-about-my-bent-frame.html)

Road Chick 10-09-2005 11:40 PM

What should I do about my bent frame?

I wrecked my bike last weekend in my friend's driveway. I was trying to turn around on a very steep, narrow, driveway going uphill.
I lost my balance and tried to correct it, but I ended up hitting the throttle and giving it lots of juice and flew right into the front
end of my friend's car.

The frame on my bike is shot, and so is the bumper on my friend's car.

The question is "Should I have the dealer rebuild my bike or should I go to another mechanic"?? A good friend of mine
gave me a referral to a really good shop. Will this ruin the warranty???

mikeisglidn 10-10-2005 01:30 AM

RE: What should I do about my bent frame?

get some one with some knowledge of crash damage to look at it, get lots of opinions, if necessary turn it into the insurance. what ever you do dont let some jerkoff try to fix it. its toooooo important and your body will have to endure the results good or bad.

becareful and good luck!!:)

WarriorHD 10-10-2005 01:39 AM

If the frame has extensive physical damage, I would say replace it...Not repair it. You can repair a ding in a gas tank...Do not repair a frame that is bent. It's your life riding on it...Remember that.

Road Chick 10-10-2005 03:06 AM

Thanks for the advice.!!!

I am going to replace the frame..

I was wondering if I should have the Harley dealer do the work???

racedvl 10-10-2005 10:15 AM

Assuming you have a loan out on the bike, and would have full coverage, (at least in IL. you have to), I would suck it up and pay the deductable, and let the dealer do it. This way (hopefully) if there is any problems they would take care of it down the road. Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

12Stones 10-10-2005 11:51 AM

I'd have to agree with this as well. Let us know how it turns out.

ORIGINAL: racedvl

Assuming you have a loan out on the bike, and would have full coverage, (at least in IL. you have to), I would suck it up and pay the deductable, and let the dealer do it. This way (hopefully) if there is any problems they would take care of it down the road. Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

dert 10-10-2005 12:50 PM

A reputable dealer wont repair a scoot with a bent frame,that is any other damage the bike may have. They should not let the bike leave without replacing the frame..Just from a friends expierence recently.Insurance wise.they have to report it as bent ..in Texas,not sure if it is that way in other states

Crossbones 10-10-2005 07:01 PM

yes, do the deductible and take it to the dealer. insurance is paying for it anyways, well sort of...good luck and let us know how things end up.

pococj 10-10-2005 09:54 PM

If you replace the frame, you'll have to do something about the title. With an aftermarket frame, you'll no longer have a Harley Davidson, but some sort of Special Construction; it varies from state to state. If you go through HD, it'll take a long time to get a new frame. IIRC, they have to send your old frame in for destruction before HD will get around to getting you another one, but it will have the same VIN, and you won't have to mess with the title.

How bad is the frame bent? Where is it bent? If it isn't bad, it can be straightened by a couple places. It'll be good as new, you won't have to go through all the title hassles, or the long wait hassles. Lake Shore HD in Illinois used to have a frame jig, and an outfit called Buchanan's was big into frame straightening, IIRC.

Hate to tell you guys this, but if you're riding a Sporty, and have ever bottomed out in a pothole, your frame is probably bent. If you are riding an old Ironhead Sporty I can just about guarantee your frame is bent. I can't remember ever rebuilding one that wasn't tweaked in at least one place, and usually more. Most of 'em were out around the upper shock mount.

Properly done, frame straightening won't weaken anything. We used to even cut out badly tweaked sections, especially if the tubing was creased, and relace them. Often the end result was a frame that was stronger and straighter than the original.

Road Chick 10-11-2005 03:49 AM

ORIGINAL: pococj

If you replace the frame, you'll have to do something about the title. With an aftermarket frame, you'll no longer have a Harley Davidson, but some sort of Special Construction; it varies from state to state. If you go through HD, it'll take a long time to get a new frame. IIRC, they have to send your old frame in for destruction before HD will get around to getting you another one, but it will have the same VIN, and you won't have to mess with the title.

How bad is the frame bent? Where is it bent? If it isn't bad, it can be straightened by a couple places. It'll be good as new, you won't have to go through all the title hassles, or the long wait hassles. Lake Shore HD in Illinois used to have a frame jig, and an outfit called Buchanan's was big into frame straightening, IIRC.

Hate to tell you guys this, but if you're riding a Sporty, and have ever bottomed out in a pothole, your frame is probably bent. If you are riding an old Ironhead Sporty I can just about guarantee your frame is bent. I can't remember ever rebuilding one that wasn't tweaked in at least one place, and usually more. Most of 'em were out around the upper shock mount.

Properly done, frame straightening won't weaken anything. We used to even cut out badly tweaked sections, especially if the tubing was creased, and relace them. Often the end result was a frame that was stronger and straighter than the original.
Thanks for all the information..........Very very helpful!!:):)