Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Betty: 2007 XL1200C Build/Mod Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy
Thanks! Undecided on bars. I like them now, but that may change depending on rise/pull back of new riser etc.

Is 68513-95a the new "idiot lights" to fit the non-C housing?
Part # 68813-07 is the actual harness that includes the new dummy lights and speedo connector, while 68513-95A is the jewel lens that goes over the dummy lights in the speedo housing (listed below). Yeah, 17 freakin smackers for that little piece of ish!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Default Removed tank trim, new gas cap

When I bought the bike, it had the optional Custom model tank trim attached to it. I decided to remove since I liked the look of a clean tank without anything splitting it up better than it was with it on.

I used some WD-40 to loosen up the adhesive for a bit then used a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive to ease removal by shimmy-ing some fishing line between the loose adhesive and the tank. It came loose, but if I had to do it over again, I would NOT use this method. I bought some 3M adhesive remover to clean up the remainig adhesive and it is leaps and bounds better than WD-40. It practically eats the adhesive after sitting a few minutes and really makes things easy. If you're thinking of doing this, go so slowly that it almost hurts. I thought I was going slow and a good bit of adhesive was left over and I had lots of fine scratches all over my paint from the fishing line. I was unhappy to say the least. I would probably use floss and the 3M adhesive remover with hair dryer/heat gun if I had a second cracking at it.

Before:

Tank trim w/ Willie G medallion on stock cap. Bye bye...

Here is the tank after a healthy clean-compound-polish-wax process and my new smaller black gas cap fitted with the Dark Customs medallion. I decided to do black on black with the Dark Customs trim to go with the Dark Customs derby cover, tranny cover, and eventually my air cleaner trim I'll be doing soon. I've always liked the Dark Customs logo and I'll be sticking with it.

Nice and clean (excuse the dust)

Last edited by BlackBettyXLC; 04-24-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Picture size
Old 05-12-2017, 09:16 AM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Default SG Air Shocks

After riding on the stock shocks for about 6k miles and bottoming out multiple times while riding 2-up or when I hit potholes, I decided it was time to do somethin different with the suspension. I looked at quite a few options: Progressive, Ohlins, Burly, etc. Then I happened on a few articles about air shocks from touring models. After a bit of readin and discovery about the affordability, adjustability, and substantial ride improvements they can bring, I decided to go for it. I searched for a while and picked up a set of used 2015 Street Glide air shocks and fittings with only ~1k miles on them from a forum member.

Install was fairly simple once I found the proper way to jack up the frame so that the lower shock mount properly aligned with the eye on the swing arm. Some say to do one shock at a time so you don't have to use a jack, but this did not work for me. Even when doing one shock at a time AND using a jack to lift the bike so the swing arm was in a relaxed position, the shock eyelets would not line up with holes on the bike. So instead, I jacked the bike up so the rear wheel was barely lifted, then took both shocks off while it was supported and put the new shocks on while raising/lowering the bike as needed to line up the holes.

Everything taped off to avoid trashin the pain during install.

Two thick washers in between each shock to frame mounting point, top and bottom. This provides clearance between the belt guard and the thicker air shocks. I reused all the stock bolts which were long enough to accommodate the extra washers​​​​​​.

I routed the tubing from the shocks behind the oil tank and behind the battery cover and undwr yye seat on the other side for a nice clean install with minimal tubing showing.
​​​

This is where the Schrader valve will go for now. Hidden right under the seat near the tank on the right side.

A shot of the finished product. No noticeable difference in ride height, but a huge difference in handling for the better.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-20-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Nicely done!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser

Nicely done!
Thanks, man. It's comin along. Should have new rubber on sometime this weekend!

Side note: you got your sissy bar from that guy on Etsy, right? I was lookin at his work and it looks solid. And a lot more affordable than most other places. How's yours holdin up?

Old 05-12-2017, 05:01 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Default Smoked Out Lighting

Ever since I got the bike, I never did like the look of that big honkin eyesore of a taillight so I set out to find a low profile alternative that was also smoked out. I also wanted to do the signals as well since they stick out like a sore thumb.

After a lot of researching and refusing to pay out the butt for a taillight, I settled on the MoonsMC LED run/brake taillight. They've done some things with their taillights to set them apart from most of the other comparable Chinese knock offs on eBay and Amazon. Wiring pigtail is done well, the LED board is blacked out for a stealth look, and there's a nice little weather gasket on the back of the board to block out debris and water. It's workin great so far.

Everything turned out real slick. I love the look and the red and orange lenses are no longer sticking out and distracting from the rest of the bike.

Before:

Fit and finish of MoonsMC light

After:

Last edited by BlackBettyXLC; 05-15-2017 at 11:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-20-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
Thanks, man. It's comin along. Should have new rubber on sometime this weekend!

Side note: you got your sissy bar from that guy on Etsy, right? I was lookin at his work and it looks solid. And a lot more affordable than most other places. How's yours holdin up?
I did, and it's great. He actually made it with custom measurements to accommodate my seat. Highly recommended.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Ben Bradke
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sporty sticky choke

Was going to go for a ride but when I went to pull the choke out to start the bike it only moved out a hair. I went for a ride last night and everything was beautiful, nothing was wrong. I tried spraying carb cleaner in the carb but that didn't help. I just bought the bike and the previous owner had it sitting in his garage for 2 years.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:21 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Very nice bud. And you'll be happy with the sissy bar. Guy is super cool.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser

I did, and it's great. He actually made it with custom measurements to accommodate my seat. Highly recommended.
Sweet. Yeah, I like that he does custom measurements and can add/delete components per request. Lookin forward to gettin a black bar to complement the theme.

Originally Posted by Ben Bradke
Was going to go for a ride but when I went to pull the choke out to start the bike it only moved out a hair. I went for a ride last night and everything was beautiful, nothing was wrong. I tried spraying carb cleaner in the carb but that didn't help. I just bought the bike and the previous owner had it sitting in his garage for 2 years.
Uhhh, I think you're in the wrong thread, bud.

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Very nice bud. And you'll be happy with the sissy bar. Guy is super cool.
Yezzir. Can't wait to get rid of the chrome sissy bar. It's served it's purpose in supporting the lady friend, but having a blacked out bar that looks good AND serves a purpose will be better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Betty: 2007 XL1200C Build/Mod Thread